BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
check at a hospital for programs like that. they usually have something available in the maternity ward, or can point you in the right direction.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Are you trying to figure out how to have kids, or manage what you've allready got?

If you've got some already it's easy, just follow your instincts, but do everything your wife tells you.

If you want to have some just keep checking the NSFW threads. There are lots of hints there.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danke said:
If you've got some already it's easy, just follow your instincts, but do everything your wife tells you.
I know you're making a joke, but really your statement is so wrong.

I don't think people are hard-wired to know how to raise kids. Sure, our instincts help us make babies ;) but beyond the desire to keep your child safe from harm, there is a lot left to figure out. Most people's childhoods were messed up one way or another to some degree, so simply following your parents footsteps is not the best option.

I'm looking to educate myself to become a better parent. And stop my hair from going gray so quickly! :p

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Kids are so individual you can't learn about them from a book. Spend as much time as you can with them, and when they aren't around think about them. Hang around with other people and their kids too, and you'll see yours are most likely close to normal.

If they start doing nutty stuff like you see on TV, or are sick then you can resort to the books.

R

·
0 Posts
I think it's great that you're taking the initiative to actually be a better parent.

However, I don't think courses can teach you everything. There are some things that they'll teach you that I probably would disagree with. I'm sure everyoe has their own methods to deal with kids. Don't take everything you learn from otehrs seriously and use your own judgement.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, lots of different ideas, schools of thought, etc. on this subject. For sure we will go in with open minds and at the end pick and choose those ideas which we feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
:laughing
I was wondering who was going to suggest that first.

·
My Twitter: SH1FTG34R
1,891 Posts
I'm 18 and I came out fine, my parents showed me love, sure I got accidently punched in the face, thrown into the wall, kicked out of the house for 1 week, had everything I had including underwear taken away from me from a week or two and had to mooch clohtes off my friend. Sure, most nights I spent sleeping at a friends house, but hey, it wasn't that bad. Now i'm almost 19 and mature (er) and me and my parents get along. Want to know why? I'm living on residence at SFU and staying the fuck away from them :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
look at some friends that you admire, that seem to have their life in order..... then go talk to their parents and see what they did right.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that not all parenting methods work with all children.

You may want to look more for materials relating to your child's temperment to figure out how best to deal with them in a positive manner.

F'er example, I have a daughter that's really high-strung. Brilliant, quick witted, outgoing, and a perfectionist. Just the perfect candidate for escalating any confrontation :laughing

We were recommended a book called "Raising Your Spirited Child" that had some good suggestions in it that worked well.

We also had a child psychologist do an assessment to help us understand how she ticked, and we were able to use her insight and suggestions to help work on her more disruptive tendencies, and to get her into some special programs and additional resources at her school.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Gord lemme know how the course is
I'm not the best rider and being a dad is new for me so I'm sure I'll learn something new.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
take a course if u need to, maybe u'll learn somthing.

S

·
0 Posts
Good on you for making your kids a priority in your life Gord...

If only we all had the foresight to put as much research into our children as we do into our vehicles and toys...

Only course I've had experience with is "parenting after separation" which is manditory before a judge will hear any case involving custody and access.
Thought it was great by the way... my ex :devillook didn't seem to get anything out of it... Ahem

Another great resource for figuring out children and family dynamics is anything you can find by the author "Barbara Coloroso"
http://www.kidsareworthit.com/

All the best

Starscream
"Marc"

P.S. I may not be the best Dad in the world, but I am the absolute best Dad in the world for my daughter...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts