BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vancouver Sun writes this morning that Vancouver City officials are contemplating towing the motor vehicles of "chronic offenders" of street parking... whether fines paym ents are current or not. "Chronic Offender" being defined by the spokesperson as having received five tickets in two years. I know there are riders on this forum who think they can skirt the issue or avoid DT altogether. But for those who want to ride in the city, riders are more and more at risk of the wrath of City managers. Just an FYI...
ps, I cannot figure out how to post the link or I would

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Commercial vehicles are an automatic tow in a back alley downtown. What a way to wreck your day.

·
lover of twins
6,071 Posts
Commercial vehicles are an automatic tow in a back alley downtown. What a way to wreck your day.
really?

aren't many alleys signed parking for commercial vehicles though?

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
so.. you can have your fines paid, parking paid, and they will still tow your shit?

dafaq?

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
so.. you can have your fines paid, parking paid, and they will still tow your shit?

dafaq?
I think what they're saying is that if you have a history, 5 tickets in the last while, and you are found parking where you should not be "again", instead of a ticket again, you get towed..

simple answer is to not friken park where you're not supposed to.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
I think what they're saying is that if you have a history, 5 tickets in the last while, and you are found parking where you should not be "again", instead of a ticket again, you get towed..

simple answer is to not friken park where you're not supposed to.
Exactly.

This deals with folks like CanaganD who knowingly park without paying on purpose, with the intent of just paying the fines when they come because it is less
frequent and costly than paying each time they park.

So for the frequent offenders like this, a great solution. Tow their shit to a yard, tack some extra fees on... and then maybe they will think twice about
knowingly parking without paying... or actually paying to keep their stuff parked.

I very infrequently come into Vancouver, but when I do - I use the pay to park via phone, where you can easily extend your parking if you are running late.

I'm all for enforcement like this. Including the refusal to issue insurance at ICBC for those who have unpaid bridge tolls, child support etc. Use the most
efficient method to enforce it, and hit them with shit that will make them think twice about not doing the right thing in the first place.

·
15,773 Posts
Yes.

Lets not let people drive to work to ear a living. That will make them pay up the tolls they cant afford.

Perfect.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know a lady in Toronto who will tell anyone who listens that she "pays $1100 a year to park anywhere in Toronto." It's true, I've seen her parking. The only thing is that she hasn't actually got a pass, that's just what she ends up paying in tickets. I'm guessing if they were to start towing repeat offenders her "parking pass" would cease to exist.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
But for those who want to ride in the city, riders are more and more at risk of the wrath of City managers.
Quite the contrary. Using the pay by phone app, motorcycles are half price. Personally, I'm now much more likely to just pay instead of risking a ticket, as it's rarely more than a dollar.

I like the proposal, it's only going to hit the chronic abuser. Evidently the financial penalty isn't enough for some.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
ICBC is an pretty effective pinch point for the sluggards.
What started out as an insurance provider for drivers has morphed into a general revenue source for the govt, and insurance costs keep rising. Add on the new tasks of collecting money for various agencies and the new bureaucracies required, and insurance costs will rise some more... The govt will always "need" the money. Drivers will be having to pay for collecting from the sluggards.

Finding a parking spot for a work van/truck downtown, seriously sucks.
Having your truck towed after 5 PAID tickets in (I heard) 2 years, is too tight tolerance wise... 5 tickets in a year, better...
And, no, I haven't had a bunch of parking tickets in years :) Fooking Impark though, will ticket you when you're legal and only back down after making you jump the hoops. Fukkers

·
15,773 Posts
and the wait time for dispute line on their phones it 30-45 mins in hopes you give up.

Fuck em.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Quite the contrary. Using the pay by phone app, motorcycles are half price. Personally, I'm now much more likely to just pay instead of risking a ticket, as it's rarely more than a dollar.

I like the proposal, it's only going to hit the chronic abuser. Evidently the financial penalty isn't enough for some.
Five tickets is not "chronic" by any stretch, even if one takes into account exposure... which would have to be done. More time on the road (think taxis and couriers etc.) means more ticket risk. That number of five can only be thought of as reasonable by somebody who spends little or no time driving or riding in Vancouver. It's easy to rack up five tickets in a very short period if one is driving or riding in the city full time. In spite of the work we've done to get on-street parking for motorcycles, we still need to beg borrow or steal legal, semi legal and illegal space for the most part to park in Van so riders have even more to lose with this stupid idea.
Secondly, anybody who on principle feels it's ok to give any government carte blanche to steal things without notice, after punishment has been dealt and penance made, needs to have his or her head examined... IMO. I know... there are people who pay good money to be spanked and abused...

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I like it too. They hit that magic formula of making it easy to use, and easy to pay for.

No scrambling for spare change anymore, no overpaying for more time than you need because you only have a toonie in your pocket.

And no excuses about being late, they text your phone before you run out of time and all you have to do it hit the button and it gets topped up for you.

I'm astounded how many people "park by ticket". I have a car I just seized that the owner racked up $2,000 in unpaid tickets in. I can't say I'd have any sympathy if he lost his "get out of jail free" status on tickets in the future.

Of course, the easy way around it is to just get new plates every year.....

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
*rolls eyes* at everyone.

I wouldn't be such a renegade if City of Vancouver hasn't been REMOVING motorcycle parking over the last couple years. Prior to that, I paid for parking every single day I worked DT.

Plus, not like I impede anyone at all. I park respectfully.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That number can only be thought of by reasonable by somebody who spends no time driving or riding in Vancouver. It's easy to rack up five tickets in a very short period if one is driving or riding in the city full time.
I actually live in vancouver, so uh yeah I spend a fair bit of time driving and riding in vancouver. Including decades of riding or driving downtown to park. Plenty plenty plenty of illegal motorcycle parking in the distant past, always on edge about it being ticketed and/or towed. It's not hard to avoid parking tickets... just pay for parking.

In spite of the work we've done to get on-street parking for motorcycles, we still need to beg borrow or steal legal, semi legal and illegal space for the most part to park in Van so riders have even more to lose with this stupid idea.
And I thank you very much for your efforts, which enable me to park legally all over the city for, at most, a nominal fee. This is not a proposal targeting motorcycles.

Secondly, anybody who on principle feels it's ok to give any government carte blanche to steal things without notice, after punishment has been dealt and penance made, needs to have his or her head examined... IMO. I know... there are people who pay good money to be spanked and abused...
it's not stealing, and the previous parking tickets will have been plenty of notice. Can we have a rational discussion about this? The hyperbole is uncharacteristic of you.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts