BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: If you're doubling up in a parking spot, plug cash in the meter! Do not assume one bike's pay-by-phone will pay for both bikes! It doesn't!!

I'm not a fan of the park-between-two-spaces technique, I figure you are asking to get tickted, towed, or knocked over by some moron in car that can't parallel park. So I always park in a real spot. If you use the Verrus Pay by Phone app, you can park in any car spot and receive a 50% discount :))). This is awesome when there is no MC spot around, and I assume the reason that it's 50% off is supposed to be that another bike can come along and park in the same spot too. This is obviously how it's supposed to work with motorcycle only parking spots downtown, where you often see 5 or 6 bikes crammed in there, and there's also no time limit... If you're lucky there's already time on the meter and you can just throw in a loonie or toonie and "do your part" for everyone's parking time. All is right with the world.

BUT, sometimes you roll up to that meter and there's no time on it, yet some pirate's expensive 30k harley is parked badly taking up most of the spot. So you figure, why not just jam my bike in there, that pirate surely paid for parking because he's not going to want that custom monstrosity towed... so you jam your bike in and just leave it. Always worked for me.

What also always worked for me was doubling up me and the girl's bikes in a single spot. We would roll up to any car spot, put both bikes in the spot, pay by phone for 50% off parking on one bike, and go eat or whatever. Never a problem.....

Then last week I was downtown for a meeting at the fairmont. No bike parking room so I pulled up into a car spot, which ad one of the aforementioned badly parked custom harleys in it. No time showing on the meter but I know the meter guys are aggro right there and street parking is super expensive. So I pay-by-phoned my bike in, just to be on the safe side. About halfway through my meeting I look up and there's a parking guy printing out a ticket in front of the two bikes. I vaulted the railing to make sure he wasn't ticketing my bike, but no, it was the harley, and he said straight up "this vehicle did not pay for parking" (which he can see when looking up the pay by phone).

So.. let that be a warning to those of you doubling up. You can still do it, but you gotta pay cash (that way they can't know (or prove in court) which bike hasn't paid). You don't get the 50% off rate paying cash at a car spot meter, so you are going to want to scope out bike parking spots. And even if there are a bunch of bikes there, if there is no money in the meter, use cash! Even if you're solo, help prevent anyone else parking there from getting a ticket. And if you double up in an existing car spot that you think has payment on it.. pay again anyway, it's 50% off by pay-by-phone.

Hopefully this info saves someone else a ticket!

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Pay by phone is usually by licence plate numbers,

but i believe that parking meters (pay by phone) are pay by spot, so you can double up.

Carry change and pay cash at meters, you see the time remaining and you can fill the whole spot,

but remember, if the meter runs out, everyone gets a ticket

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,517 Posts
but no, it was the harley, and he said straight up "this vehicle did not pay for parking" (which he can see when looking up the pay by phone).
Did you help out the fellow rider? and say to the meter maid, "We're parked in the one spot together and I paid for the spot."

I never park downtown because I live there, but if it's not spelled out that more than one bike can share a paid spot then fight the ticket.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you help out the fellow rider? and say to the meter maid, "We're parked in the one spot together and I paid for the spot."

I never park downtown because I live there, but if it's not spelled out that more than one bike can share a paid spot then fight the ticket.
I dont think it would matter though. You're paying to put your car/bike there, and not for simply the use of the spot. This is somewhat stupid, as by logic you would think that you paid to rent the spot between the lines for x time and can put whatever you want there.

This is one reason why the city pushes pay by phone so hard. More revenue by eliminating paid forward time (I.e., you pay but leave early and the next guy gets your remaindered time) and doubling or trippleing up of vehicles.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
just thought i'd throw this question out there.

If you've paid for 2 hours parking, and leave one spot after one hour to another spot, let's say a few blocks away, would your plate still be registered in the system as paid? I kinda have a feeling it does because I sometimes end up entering the wrong meter number, and have not received a ticket, but right meter #, wrong plate? dunzo.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That's very interesting. I always thought the policy was that you could share a spot and only pay once but seems that applies to paying cash only. Thanks for the tip.

From the city website:
Space sharing
If there is already a motorcycle or scooter in a parking space, you can share the spot if there is room. The rules are:
All vehicles must fit within the painted lines
If the meter displays time on the meter head, all bikes in the space are paid for
If the meter displays flashing zeros, only bikes with an active PayByPhone transaction for the space are paid — unpaid bikes will be ticketed

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's very interesting. I always thought the policy was that you could share a spot and only pay once but seems that applies to paying cash only. Thanks for the tip.

From the city website:
Space sharing
If there is already a motorcycle or scooter in a parking space, you can share the spot if there is room. The rules are:
All vehicles must fit within the painted lines
If the meter displays time on the meter head, all bikes in the space are paid for
If the meter displays flashing zeros, only bikes with an active PayByPhone transaction for the space are paid — unpaid bikes will be ticketed
Yeah that's what I read too. So I basically always use Pay-By-Phone unless the meter has time on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just thought i'd throw this question out there.

If you've paid for 2 hours parking, and leave one spot after one hour to another spot, let's say a few blocks away, would your plate still be registered in the system as paid? I kinda have a feeling it does because I sometimes end up entering the wrong meter number, and have not received a ticket, but right meter #, wrong plate? dunzo.
You will need to pay again when you move to 2nd spot, meter cost different by the area.
Rule of thumb is if anyone pay the meter by coin, you can squeeze as many as bike into the same spot until meter expired. If using pay by phone, you only pay for the one bike, not the spot but with a 50% discount.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You will need to pay again when you move to 2nd spot, meter cost different by the area.
so true. try parking right in front of fairmont or canada place.. epic expensive. 2 street up, much cheaper. paying is for that specific spot only.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just my $0.02: My friend and I parked our bikes in the same spot on Commercial the other day. We saw a parking maid, sorry, a bylaw enforcement officer, on the way to lunch, and asked her.
"We parked our bikes in the same spot up there. Is that cool?"
"Yeah no problem. Make sure you pay by phone. That way you get 1/2 off, too."

I'm pretty sure this was far from typical, but there you go. More mixed messages!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Just my $0.02: My friend and I parked our bikes in the same spot on Commercial the other day. We saw a parking maid, sorry, a bylaw enforcement officer, on the way to lunch, and asked her.

I'm pretty sure this was far from typical, but there you go. More mixed messages!
On the Drive? That's not a real meter maid, she's wearing a burlesque costume.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts

I think she was nice letting you know that 50% off pay by phone,
but she should have added, when more than 2 bikes, then pay at the meter is cheaper

·
Fuelled by rice
4,458 Posts
Catch is, both bikes will have to do pay by phone.
Because technically only one bike has paid for the spot.
However if you pay with cash, the spot is paid for how many bikes you can fit into it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
We parked two bikes some time back in a single spot in an Impark lot. You have to put the receipt on your dash. Some shmuck stole my receipt off my bike, so we came back to separate tickets on each bike. Sent them a copy of my VISA bill and they voided both tickets even though we only paid for one bike...

... I can't remember fully but I'm pretty sure Impark's expectations was that both bikes would have had a receipt separately too. I might have lied to them to get out of the extra ticket...

City of Vancouver is pretty on top of ticketing... and the $6/hr meters around Canada Place and Burrard/Hastings area are just murder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts