BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cafe style Racer
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with patching your tire after puncturing a hole in it. I just had my tire repaired after blowing my rear wheel on the first ride of the season.....tire only has 400km on it. Is it safe to ride with a patch or should I just replace the tire altogether?

Thank you,

Kevin

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
A properly installed patch (i.e. removing the tire from the rim and installing a patch from the inside) would be your best bet if the tire is still good, and the puncture is relatively small, and not near the sidewall.

I don't recommend using a 'plug' unless it is a total emergency....

My :2cents.

S

·
0 Posts
Phibber said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with patching your tire after puncturing a hole in it. I just had my tire repaired after blowing my rear wheel on the first ride of the season.....tire only has 400km on it. Is it safe to ride with a patch or should I just replace the tire altogether?

Thank you,

Kevin
seeing as how they're the 218's you should just get a set of better tires to begin with.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Don't trust your life to a comprimised tire.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've had a couple of properly done inside patches last the life of the tire before. As long as it's not in the sidewall, it should be fine.

D

·
0 Posts
nothing wrong with running a properly patched tire.

running a tire with 5 patches on the other hand.....

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Jaybo said:
Don't trust your life to a comprimised tire.
I think that's a bit of fearmongering. Does that mean you replace your tires after every ride? They're not 100%, so they're compromised.

I just replaced a tire today that had a plug patch, but it was a front, had some good wear and would have needed a proper internal patch anyway. But a like-new, rear tire? Get it properly patched and as long as you're not racing, and not going to ride it until it's got 5% left, I think you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've run tires with mushroom patches on them and they're fine as long as you recognize that the tire will have lost one speed rating. Don't be doing any highspeed runs, that's all.

I've commuted with the cat shit patches(Canadian tire brand that looks like a strip of wet cat shit) stuck into an old tire and it's been fine. In fact, I actually did run a tire with 5 patches in it once....just needed a tire to get me to and from work until the end of the season before storage. It wobbled on the highway and I wouldn't recommend it but the damn thing still held air!

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
sure I replace my tires every ride, don't you? :rolleyes
it's not fearmongering, it's my opinion, and I stand by it.
I've done plugs, but I don't do em for long. Motorcycling is dangerous enough with out adding one more thing to the equation.

S

·
0 Posts
never heard of an inside patched tire failing but that's just me. i've had a patch in 2 rears on my gixxer1k and no probs burying the digital speedo(it's lying tho). i usually patch about 60 tires a year and never had a problem with one yet.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Black Sunshine said:
I don't recommend using a 'plug' unless it is a total emergency....
Forgive me but when I hear the words “Black Sunshine” and “plug” and “emergency” I think of the emergency room at VGH on Friday night.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
I rode 1000kms in two days on a tire that had a plug in it. Don't be such chicken shits. Put the plug in, ride on it for a while, check it with soapy water to see if it's leaking, if it isn't then put it out of your mind. The rubber glue bonds MUCH stronger than the centrifugal force the tire experiences even at twice the speed limit on the freeway.

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
I'd replace the tire...the fact that some other people have ridden safely on patched tires has no relevance to my individual risk.

Honestly, it probably comes down to how much money people have. If tires are cheap to them, then it's nothing to replace it. I'm not rich but I'm not going to incur any additional risk just to save a couple hundred bucks.

The fact that it's on a rear tire doesn't comfort me much either. On a car, a rear can safely blow...on a motorcycle, however, either tire going south could cause an accident.

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
I said "blow" - guess that's the wrong verb. Tubeless tires don't really "blow" anyway, like the old tubed tires did. Still, I wouldn't trust a patched tire on a bike. YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had my tire fixed after a nail puncture, two days later went to PIR for full track day and still used it for 5000kms on the road after that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts