BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
:D
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a location for Bike Nights. The area needs to be paved but a grassy area next to it would be nice. Private property would be preferred, but public property where BBQ's are allowed would work just as well. Proximity to the center of the Lower Mainland and a Highway exit are a must.

A prize will be awarded for the best suggestion. It would be super helpful if you get us permission to use the location.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
There is a grassy area, right on the beach, next to the boat launch on West Beach in White Rock. Think 14400 blk of 8th Ave to get an idea of the location. The city allows BBQ's, plenty of space to lounge around, and a decent view.

Accessible from 8th Avenue off Hwy 99 but you have to run the gauntlet of Marine Dr EB which can be a PITA. A better choice for Vancouverites would be the first exit to King George Hwy off of Hwy 99 SB and then ride Crescent Rd and get there from the west.

Pay parking only, but you could stack the stalls with bikes. Accessible to the public free of charge. Needs to be emptied by 11 PM. If loud music, engine revvers or "stuntaz" are present, people will complain and you are guaranteed Bylaws/Police attendance.

Soft Ball City in Surrey, between 22 and 24 Ave at 148 St has massive parking lots and lots of open spaces. I think it's free parking but I'm not sure of what the crowds are like when there are games occurring. Maybe some sports guys on here may know, I've never been a team player.

Easily accessed by 152 St or coming up 24th Ave from Crescent Road.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
good suggestion though i can already see ppl complaining about anything and everything as soon as they see a bunch of bikers, who by nature are probably up to no good. i think some location a bit out of site might be better, something like derby reach regional park in langley by fraser river, there is even huge covered table/bbq area. the only thing is it'll be summer and probably full of ppl on a nice sunny evening. also, don't think ppl from vancouver would be too keen on venturing so far out.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
good suggestion though i can already see ppl complaining about anything and everything as soon as they see a bunch of bikers, who by nature are probably up to no good. i think some location a bit out of site might be better, something like derby reach regional park in langley by fraser river, there is even huge covered table/bbq area. the only thing is it'll be summer and probably full of ppl on a nice sunny evening. also, don't think ppl from vancouver would be too keen on venturing so far out.
Derby Reach is a great location, but the other users fill it up very fast. That would be my favorite if not for the lack of space. But the same can occur with the White Rock location. I imagine that will be a concern for anything that isn't private property.

Softball City is well screened from the roads by trees and there aren't many houses around would may lessen complaints.

As for White Rock complaints, Dubberz (a VW club) has taken up all the parking lots in the West beach area each year, I've seen a couple of dozen low riders fill up the same spots and RevScene poster boys do it as well. Never a complaint was heard.

Regardless of the location chosen, it will be up to the organizers and participants to police themselves. Much like the Monday night rides, there will be some numbnutz that will try to ruin it for everyone by doing burnouts, wheelies or high speed passes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Alouette Lake (Golden Ears Prov. Park) is a great place, used to be a stop for "ride for Dad" back in the day for a longer pit stop and BBQ lunch, tons of parking and nice road leading up to the parking area. Its off the requirements set buy the OP but beautiful in terms of scenery

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Cul de sac next to Port Mann Patrol at Gaglardi! Plenty of room, parking, grassy area and only one nosy neighbour!

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Why not skip the BBQ entirely and call up Tugboat Annies and see if they're willing to put together a bike night special (hot dog or burger) in exchange for hundreds of customers? They're behind the existing shops, easy to get to, and right by the river.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
Alouette Lake (Golden Ears Prov. Park) is a great place, used to be a stop for "ride for Dad" back in the day for a longer pit stop and BBQ lunch, tons of parking and nice road leading up to the parking area. Its off the requirements set buy the OP but beautiful in terms of scenery
Far to out of the way and would require permission from the park operator to host something like that.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Fuck Spanish Banks. Cops will hassle everyone, they're a bitch to get to if you don't live in Kits, and it's a 30 kph road that hasn't been repaved since the fucking Pony Express ran.

But we sure will look super cool down there on the beach! I can see people planning their new Facebook profile pic selfie already...

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
So far we have South Surrey/White Rock, Ft. Langley(ish), Maple Ridge and whatever municipality Spanish Banks is located in.

Adding a poll to get an idea of where people live could be useful in narrowing down a location. When you have interested parties from all over the LMD, choosing a centrally located meeting place may be helpful.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So far we have South Surrey/White Rock, Ft. Langley(ish), Maple Ridge and whatever municipality Spanish Banks is located in.

Adding a poll to get an idea of where people live could be useful in narrowing down a location. When you have interested parties from all over the LMD, choosing a centrally located meeting place may be helpful.

Lol. Vancouver?

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
I think somewhere near where the SFPR intersects the 91 would be smart. If only Annacis Island didn't stink!

EDIT: Perfect spot found, you can stop looking! I knew it existed but I couldn't recall the name. Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park. A grassy hole in the wall, next to the river, with a reasonably sized parking lot and no real neighbours after business hours.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/7400+Fraser+Park+Dr/@49.1926403,-122.9983522,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54867606b5adcde9:0x95e58eb8021e1ea2

South Burnaby, close to the 91, just down Marine Drive for Vancouvites, not far off the SFPR for those coming down the highway; about equidistant for most I would suspect.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Lol. Vancouver?
I figured as much but "Vancouver" covers a big area ....... I'm sure people figured out what I meant.

Perfect spot found, you can stop looking! I knew it existed but I couldn't recall the name. Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park. A grassy hole in the wall, next to the river, with a reasonably sized parking lot and no real neighbours after business hours.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/7400+Fraser+Park+Dr/@49.1926403,-122.9983522,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54867606b5adcde9:0x95e58eb8021e1ea2

South Burnaby, close to the 91, just down Marine Drive for Vancouvites, not far off the SFPR for those coming down the highway; about equidistant for most I would suspect.

Looks like a decent (if industrial) spot. Now to do some recce's to see what it's like on various nights.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts