BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres seems to be very little selection as far as perforated leather jackets/pants go. With the few to select from, who has any to recommend? I've only been able to find the Icon pursuit, Alpinestars Stunt Vented, JR blaster 3, and the old tecknic chicane ones that they no longer make.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I believe Vanson still makes some perforated sets.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
My Frank Thomas leathers are also perforated. I also think that Psi Leathers makes a perforated style as well.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot about Vanson... i saw some at BK, but they were all black. Im thinking of getting a lighter color (white would be great), just so that it would be even cooler. Any thoughts on color?

Squire, do you remember where you got yours and what model?

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
You know, perforated leathers are kind of a mixed blessing. I own a set of Teknic speedstars that are perforated and often I wish that they had simple zipper vents. It give you more flexibility on days where the mornings are cold or you cross a mountain range (happens frequently when we ride).

I found that I keep a MEC bicycling rain jacket in the trunk so that I can wear that over my leathers and keep the wind out when it's colder.

You didn't state your reason for getting perf'd leathers, but it's something to think about.

Good luck :)

Bjorn

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a good point jeckyll, didnt really think of it. However, I want a second jacket for the hot summer months mainly, since right now im using a waterproof textile. I think i would want a perf jacket with a liner tho since even wearing a mesh textile last summer still was just barely bearable on the hottest days.

·
n00b
704 Posts
jeckyll said:
You know, perforated leathers are kind of a mixed blessing. I own a set of Teknic speedstars that are perforated and often I wish that they had simple zipper vents. It give you more flexibility on days where the mornings are cold or you cross a mountain range (happens frequently when we ride).

I found that I keep a MEC bicycling rain jacket in the trunk so that I can wear that over my leathers and keep the wind out when it's colder.

You didn't state your reason for getting perf'd leathers, but it's something to think about.

Good luck :)

Bjorn
Good idea Bjorn. I went for a ride in my perf leathers (RS Taichi) and it was damn cold. Brrr...I'll look into a bicycle jacket to kill some of the wind. What model you using?

·
Lightly seasoned...
176 Posts
Well if you want cool, best thermographic color is pretty close to baby blue :p is least thermally absorbant, as far as colors go (reflects most thermal light energy, better than white due to the way the die color is generally made)... stylistically it might not go over quite as well though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wolfnadrid said:
Well if you want cool, best thermographic color is pretty close to baby blue :p is least thermally absorbant, as far as colors go (reflects most thermal light energy, better than white due to the way the die color is generally made)... stylistically it might not go over quite as well though.

Learn something new everyday!.......... but it'd have to feel like air conditioning for me to wear baby blue.....

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
I looooove my Joe Rocket Speedmaster one-piece. It's for sale too (size 46) :thumbup

There is no single suit that is perfect for all conditions. Either accept a compromise, or shell out the dollars for multiple jackets, pants, etc.

I'm very warm-bodied and don't get cold easily. Wearing a nylon windbreaker over my suit was enough to keep me warm on cool, shady mornings. On occasion I even wore my electric vest underneath.

On hot summer rides I'd dump some water down my shirt before taking off. Do that everyone so often (when gassing up?) and it'll help cool you. Save some of that water for drinking as well.

For around town riding I would suggest a mesh jacket. But I would not feel comfortable wearing it at highway speeds.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My question is-does the perforation compromise the integrity of the leather? If that's the case-are we better off to just get textile? I know they say it's always better to wear leather-but if it's not going to hold up in a crash what's the point?

·
n00b
704 Posts
The perforations should not comprimise the integrity of the leather. Perforations are generally in select areas and not all over. Don't think of it as a big old moth balled tshirt...they're really tiny holes, evenly spread out, at a minimum distance from eachother.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Not all perf is built the same. Some suits have bigger "holes" than others, and certainly the placement and pattern is different across suits.

I would not agree that the perf does not affect the strength of the leather. Non-perf would be stronger than perf. But either is better than textile! (IMO)

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Has anyone heard of doing custom perforating at a leather shop or something? Like get them to punch tiny holes in the leather in selected spots. I would seriously consider this for myself. I dont see it being much different than having it done straight from the factory. Any leather gurus/workers have any coments.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Shervin: I don't know what jacket I use. Somekind of ultracheap MEC jacket I've had for 10 years that's pretty beat up. But it works like a charm to keep the wind out.

I've also found that I can wear the liner from my textile jacket under the leathers on the colder days. Bit bulky but I can still move around well enough.

As far as the perforations making the leather weaker, they shoudn't be in any 'high impact' areas. It's good enough for the motogp guys :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts