BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone really into photography?

I am. And I really haven't got the 'good stuff' for equipment as of yet. I'm looking at buying a new lense (I currently own a Canon EOS body), and I'd like some opinions on brands? I can get Canon, Sigma and Tamaron lenses at a much reduced price - so if any of those are any good - let me know.. or if you have a lense to sell, I also may be interested.

I realize the Canon's the pricer lense of the bunch, and therefore the others are more attractive.

I'm currently have a 35-80mm f4-5.5ish Canon lense as well as a 70-200mm (F stop I can't remember, but it's nothing special) zoom lense from Canon. I'm looking at getting more of a wideangle.. I'm also looking at that new Canon D60 digital (check www.dpreview.com if you want to see what I'm talking about)..

Anyways.. it'd be nice to know who else is into this..

·
or in french,le steekmon!
1,050 Posts
I'm not into photography but I've heard that the Canon lense's are top quality!I bought my wife a sigma lens as I couldn't afford the Canon! She realy hasn't used it enough to comment on how good or bad it is!She's talking about taking a course to learn how to do things properly.It's an expensive hobby.........I hope it won't cut into my motorcycle beautifacation fund!!:laughing Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
I love photography, don't get a lot of chance to partake in it these days, but I still love it. My kit is:

Olympus OM-4 (main)
-awesome camera, along with Leicas and Contax, this was my "dream" camera that I decided to shell out the big bucks for because I was going on my backpacking trip to Europe.

Olympus OM-2S (backup)
-Good backup, not as professional as the OM-4, but still pretty rugged and accurate.

Lenses:
-21mm f3.5
Wicked lens

-50mm f1.4
The speed of this lens makes it sooo handy

-75-150mm f4
Mediocre midrange zoom.

As far as lenses go, I've heard Sigma has been improving by leaps and bounds lately (they use to put out some pretty sub-par stuff), some of their lenses nowadays will match or even be superior to Canons. It really depends on the lens. Check out magazine reviews, or any reviews that you can find on the net for the particular lens that you're looking for from each manufacturer.
That's probably the best way to shop for them, because it's not like you'll be able to evaluate the optical quality of any particular lens by looking at it in the store.

I'm still trying to devise a good way to carry a tripod on my bike...
:p

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Adam, we just bought a good Canon digital camera and I had a lot of fun learning how to use it on our trip. We spent a long time researching different types of cameras and we found the Canons to be the best (and most expensive). Now I am taking pictures of everything to figure out how to change light setting, and shutter speed etc to get good pics.:thumbup

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
I am. I don't take as many pics as I should maybe.... to keep the skillz up. I use an ancient Canon AE-10. All manual. Not one auto bone inits body. Love it. Takes great shots, but sadly I use 1 hour photo and they then dumb the prints down. I am thinking about getting my film developed properly.

Recent shots:

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
f4racer said:
Adam, we just bought a good Canon digital camera and I had a lot of fun learning how to use it on our trip. We spent a long time researching different types of cameras and we found the Canons to be the best (and most expensive). Now I am taking pictures of everything to figure out how to change light setting, and shutter speed etc to get good pics.:thumbup
I have a Nikon CoolPix 880 digital camera. I'm not much beyond the point and shoot stuff :) so I'd appreciate any references to general camera operation guides etc. either in book form or on the 'net.

·
Slow
271 Posts
A very good friend of mine has the D60 and we can both agree that it takes better pictures than even the EOS 1N/V pro-level 35mm film cameras. It's just really good ... including in low light or super long exposures - virtually no noise and very smart compression.

I'd seriously recommend this camera, if you can afford the price.

I'd also recommend Canon lenses ... the USM focussing is "on" but do make sure to get the lowest F you can afford - without a low F lense you won't be able to take those great low-light pictures that the D60 can do. If you take care if the lense you can always re-sell it.

One special note: the D60 has a 1.6 focal length multiplier so be sure to pick your lenses appropriately - a 50mm lense will really end up being 80mm when it comes to capturing the image.

Adam, PM me if you'd like some more info on the D60.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I used to be back when I did a lot of snowboarding and wakeboarding. Nowadays the camera does not get out of its case that often.

I have a Nikon F70 that I really like, you can take 5 pics a second (it came in handy when doing sequence shots like backflips or big rotational tricks) and I only bought one lens--a Tamron 28-200 that seems to work nicely for a broad range of distances.

I considered getting a digital camera but after trying a few the results were significantly poorer than my current camera, and at a cost that was way more than I wanted to spend. I will wait until the MP's get close to 10 and the price is lower. :)

·
Slow
271 Posts
6 MP is the entry point - that's an 8 x 10 inch print at 300 DPI. Good enough for magazine spreads and if you can deal with 150 DPI, you're good for a two page spread. D60!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joeyrf said:

One special note: the D60 has a 1.6 focal length multiplier so be sure to pick your lenses appropriately - a 50mm lense will really end up being 80mm when it comes to capturing the image.
Ya, I'm familiar with this focal length multiplier. Which would be great if I wanted to take telephoto shots.. but I'm very interested in wide angle (fish-eye) type shots as well, and don't want to have to go down to a stupidly expensive 15mm lense to do it on the D60. (and even then just giving me 24mm)..

Money money money.. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
I've heard "the lab vancouver" is the place to get your photo's done. too lazy to find the url for you adam, sorry. :p

I used to be really into photography, then it dropped off as I got more into film. just now starting to get into it again. I have an antique canon ae-1 with a bag full of lenses. I might take a course to refresh my memory this summer.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bender said:
I might take a course to refresh my memory this summer.
If you do, let me know, I might join ya. I could use a good refresher course myself.

·
Slow
271 Posts
adamantium said:

Ya, I'm familiar with this focal length multiplier. Which would be great if I wanted to take telephoto shots.. but I'm very interested in wide angle (fish-eye) type shots as well, and don't want to have to go down to a stupidly expensive 15mm lense to do it on the D60. (and even then just giving me 24mm)..

Money money money.. ;)
Hmmmm, I think Canon's widest is a 14mm? 22.5 on a D60 ... pretty wide but I'd really still prefer to get down to 20 or so. I guess that's where the old body comes in and we do some slide scanning.

I've seen this for video but have you even seen an additional wide angle adapter that would screw on to the end of the Canon lense on the filter adapter? This might give a wider shot ... although I'm not sure how the optics would work on this.

Thoughts.

G

·
0 Posts
photo graphy artsist

i love photo amnipulating do my own dark room stuff.
Jsut sold off my 35 mm cameras and have bought a whole pile of holga plastic toy cameras and have started to buy from ebay the diana cameras 120 format film wicked manipulating of the plastic lens reversing it etc, gets some sweet vignetting

try a holga theya re cheap!:thumbup

·
Rally Monster
77 Posts
oh yeah man... didn't see this thread so that answers my question to you in the PM's.

I spent a lot of time last summer learning and getting addicted to photography so I can help you out a bit with that. A few of my friends also were dragged into the mire with me.. one took courses locally too and enjoyed them and will be taking more.. forget what it's called though sorry.. maybe 'focal point'? Anyways that school comes recommended from that guy.

As far as equipment goes everyone loves their own stuff. Luckily for you you've already got the best brand ;) lol

Actually you should be choosing the lenses you would like to use before the camera body since that is where the quality of your pics will come into play. Again, luckily you picked Canon already since their lenses are SWEET. They have also introduced some new technology within their L series lenses.. most likely something you and I will be avoiding for a long time.. 2100 to 2500 bucks on average then the telephotos skyrocket from there.

The lens I currently have that you were asking about is seriously my favourite lens... the next one I get to replace what is likely the same 35-80 you have is the 28-135 IS lens... same build quality as the 20-35 but has Image Stabilization.. a big bonus. plus its not to shabby in the apeture either. then I want a 70-200 L series with the teleconverter (x2) but that's the big daddy expense... $2500 with IS. Teleconverter is another whack of cash too.

yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah for Canon! :thumbup

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've actually had the chance to play with a Canon D30 with a 70-200 IS lense. It was nifty. You could move the lense around and it would sorta lag behind you a tad.. like it was floating (which it sort of is). Very high quality lense indeed.

My interests go in circles, and it's currently focused on photography and bikes. :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nice looking camera, but it is gonna cost you a few bucks or the equivilent of a cheap track bike :D I use to be into photography, now I am a digital 3.2mp point and shoot kind of guy. Got tired of lugging the camera gear around and it is hard to whip it out for a quick pic on a bike trip. If you plan to get into professional quality photography and make posters and stuff then go for it, but if you just want a good camera to take shots here and there consider the size factor. I have an old minolta X700 fully manual camera and all the gear but I have to carry it around in a steel briefcase, can't quite fit it under my seat. :D

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Oh boy, this thread kind'a passed me by.

I don't do as much these days but for a few years I was a camera NUT. I used to have a couple of Contax bodies and a range of fixed lenses. A Yashica 17mm and Contax 35, 50, 80, and 200. All fixed focal lengths. Did all my shooting in slides for the best color and resolution.

But it was a terribly heavy setup to carry so I simplified it to a Nikon system with just 3 zoom lenses. My current setup is a 601 body a Vivitar 17 to 28 (more of this below), Nikkor 28 to 85, and Nikkor 75-300.

You may scoff at the Vivitar but I did a resolution test before I bought it. Wide open it was what you would expect. Sharp as a Coke bottle bottom. But stopped down 2 stops and the results were as sharp as the best from my Nikkor stuff. So I just leave it stopped down. 17's are SO much fun......... :)

I've also got a couple of older 2 1/4 cameras. One is a Mamiya press camera and the other is a TLR Rollieflex. I'm going to sell the Mamiya but the Rollieflex is a keeper. Whenever I want to have some fun with my photography I get out the Rollie, a tripod, a light meter and go for a walk. Makes ya feel just Ansel Adams..... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts