BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ladies!

I want to introduce myself. I've been on BCSB since 2002 and have been sponsoring the Pitt Meadows Days since 2009. I am female and have always supported safety in any riders that I have ridden with. Although I haven't done a lot (none) of riding this year due to a broken wrist last winter I am still involved in the community through these practice days. I am also regularly in contact with several riders and you will, once in a while, see a post from me on this site.

In 2009 I decided that I wanted to provide a safe and non-threatening place for riders to practice their riding skills. Since Boundary Bay days shut down due to changes in their facilities I was able to secure the BC Driving Centre area to provide this opportunity to riders - new riders, experienced riders, racers, cruisers, tourers, SMs, sportbikes, and everything in between.

I want to invite you out to our last scheduled track day this year - August 6th. One thing I noticed as I was sitting and watching all of the riders on July 9th was that there were no women out (well, Aieisha was out there but not riding and I was there).

How can I get you all out there? What would convince you to attend? I put these on for the riders and for the past 4 years I have had nothing but positive feedback on what we're doing and the practice that we're providing. I would love to have you out but I'm not sure what would entice you to be there. Can you help me out with some ideas? I know that you would all have fun and would learn a lot so help me understand what is stopping you from coming out.

Here's a link to our "official" thread on BCSB: Click here for more details

It's long but if you go to the last few pages you will get more recent information.

I am so convinced that you will ride away with some new skills and happy faces that I am willing to offer a discount to the women to come out (I have to cover my costs so unfortunately I'm not able to offer these days for free).

I also have Spero Benias (who is a Star Motorcycle Instructor at Jason Pridmore's STAR Motorcycle School in the USA) out there - if you don't know Spero then perhaps you just want to come out and meet him, and chat with him. I can tell you, as a female, that it will be worth you while to come out on a sunny day. (no more comments from me!!)

Please consider coming out on August 6th - ride over, if only to watch, and then if you decide you want to participate let me know - I can give you a session for free to see how you feel.

I hope to hear from you and see you out on the 6th.

(Mods, can we allow men to post up on this thread - they're the only ones that have been out regularly and may be able to offer their perspective on these events).

Thanks,

Nancy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Nancy, if it's ok with you, I'd like to throw this up on on the GirlClutch Canada Facebook page. Let me know if you're alright with the advert. I think some of the girl who follow us might like this.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, anywhere that we can get some interest with the women that ride is great with me. Thanks for doing that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Squire, I'd be very interested in this. Never heard about it before. Unfortunately, I'm away the Aug 6th weekend. Is a sport bike a must??
BTW, could you repost the hyperlink? The one you have leads to an error page. Maybe make sure the full hyperlink is there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nancy, I've been asked to create a GirlClutch event for this and see if we can't get some gals to come out. Could you PM me the details? Where, time, cost, needed gear, etc? Thanks, I might even make it out on my dr. :)

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Link to the map:

BC Driving Centre

Some details for you:

We run our rider days at the Pitt Meadows Airport **rain or shine** - a safe and great place to find out if you like the track day thing. This is not racing.

Remember these days are **NEWBIE FRIENDLY** and we encourage new riders to come out - most who were there last time ended up with a lot more skills to use while street riding.

Stock exhaust is recommended as we need to keep the decibels at 88.

Times:
Gates open - 8:00 am
Mandatory Rider's meeting - 9:00 am (don't be late!)
First group out at 9:30 am

Mandatory afternoon rider's meeting - 12:30 pm (don't be late!)
Afternoon starts at 1:00 pm
End time & cleanup - 4:30 pm

You will get a minimum of one 15 minute session/hour and as people who have been to Pitt Meadows before will attest, you will be tired at the end of the day (even though this doesn't sound like a lot of time).

And as usual - no stunting, racing or crazy stuff on the way in or out - if we want to keep these going then we have to be cognizant of the neighbours in the area - they're giving us a shot at being good citizens here so let's not disappoint.

We usually have a few canopies out there for the riders that come on their bikes & need shade.

If you'd like to sign up you can send payment to nej(at)telus.net.

$100 full day (930am to 430pm)
$60 half day (specify morning 930am to 1pm, or afternoon 1pm to 430pm)

For the August 6th day our pre-registration ends at midnight July 31st, 2011.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More details, including gear requirements...

Some more information:

How to get to the Track Day:

The course location is at the British Columbia Driving Centre in Pitt Meadows, BC on the north side of the Pitt Meadows Airport. Access via Harris Road and Ford Road in Pitt Meadows. Access to the session area is off Ford Road. From the Lougheed Highway, head South on Harris Road. Turn Right on Ford Road and head west to the school entrance area which is about 1100 meters past the stop sign at Baynes Rd. There is a large British Columbia Driving Centre sign on your left at the entrance to the facility. Map here: MAP

Before/After Event:

Please be aware of the fact that we are in a residential area so absolutely NO stunting, racing or other similar types of activities while on your way into the site or going home. If I get complaints about someone’s riding then you will be banned from future events. We want to keep the neighbours and our facility owners happy and if we have this type of activity our chances will be nil to continue on.

Gear Required:

You will need ankle boots, helmet, gloves (that cover your wrists), and kevlar pants/jacket (at a minimum) or leather gear. Your bike must not be leaking anything and you should have a reasonable amount of tread on your tires in order to participate.

At the Track Day:

This is not a race day. Many riders have asked whether they would be covered by ICBC in the unlikely event of a crash. You should contact your insurance adjustor and ask them that before you come out. You can let them know that there will be some basic instruction provided by safety riders and it will be in a controlled environment. Make sure you know what your coverages are before you "assume" that you're covered.

When you Arrive at the Track Day:

When you first get to the track find a spot to designate as your "pit" area (there is limited space so please don't bring your BIGGEST trailer). We will do a quick technical inspection. Please check in with the front "gate" as we have to get the waivers signed. If you don't have a sticker with your group on it attached to your bike then you won't be riding on the course... make sure that you register once you arrive, please.

If your bike is in good mechanical condition with tread on your tires and no leaks then you should be okay to be out there. Make sure that all of your bolts are tightened and nothing is falling off your bike. Preparation is key. Keep in mind that we are not going to allow anyone running exhaust that is over 90 db's - similar to Mission Park Raceway. Basically, you need good tires with tread (ones that are not 3 years old & dry & cracked), good brakes, and no fluid leaks.

MANDATORY Rider's Meeting

I've listed the times for the Riders meetings - if you miss the meetings then consider showing up for the next session (afternoon). There is information presented at these meetings that will keep everyone safe (flags, track etiquette, etc.). We will discuss information that you will need to know to be safe out on the course and any other important information.

On the Track

You can expect about six or seven 15-minute track sessions during the full day. To ensure safety and to maintain a controlled environment, all riders are categorized into riding classifications according to skill level, and the number of participants per group is limited. Some minor bike preparation is required, depending on riding group.

There are several skilled instructers, racers and riders that will be available to give you feedback on your riding - just ask!! We even had Spero out last time to give feedback when asked (and he's nice to look at ladies!) They can tell you what you're doing right, what you should change and how you can improve.

Expect to improve your riding skills and hopefully strive for a level of expertise you may never have experienced before and have a great time doing it.

Riding Classifications

You will be assigned a riding class when you register.

I would like to make this as rider-friendly as possible as I’d like everyone to have an opportunity to try this out & feel comfortable doing so. Newbies to the track are VERY welcome. I was (and still am) a newbie to the track and would love to have more out so you can get a chance to experience a track day. Here are the group classifications that we’re suggesting (although these can change depending upon the people that register):

Slow/Beginner: This group is very structured and geared toward those who have little or no experience riding on a track OR those who have little or no seat time. On the track, Safety Riders serve as instructors and set the pace. Passing is allowed anywhere except in the corners. With each session, the group is guaranteed a steady increase in speed throughout the day. Please identify yourself during pre-registration and at the track when you arrive so we can gather you all for the brief overview of what to expect (we will acquaint you with the track, basic rules, procedures, and etiquette.)

Medium: This group is less supervised and structured than the Beginner group. Safety Riders observe riding ability and encourage faster or slower riders to move up or down a group. Passing is allowed everywhere except the inside of corners. This group is typically for the experienced street rider or the novice or slower racer.

Fast: This group has very little supervision. Safety Riders are present to spot unsafe riding maneuvers. Passing is allowed anywhere on the track. This group an open practice and is made up mostly of racers or very fast street riders.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squire, I'd be very interested in this. Never heard about it before. Unfortunately, I'm away the Aug 6th weekend. Is a sport bike a must??
BTW, could you repost the hyperlink? The one you have leads to an error page. Maybe make sure the full hyperlink is there.
Hello Supernova,

Thanks for the head's up on the link - it's fixed now.

Too bad you can't make it on the 6th. I am in the process of trying to secure a Saturday in September so hopefully you can make it out to that.

...and no, a sportbike is not necessary. Just something that has two wheels, and we could also take three wheels if you have one of those machines.

Hope to see you out.

Nancy

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
Mods, can we allow men to post up on this thread
My 2 cents.

I'm not a track guy or a fast rider at all but like everyone on the forum I enjoy riding motorcycles. Going around town and on nice trips is great. But what Nancy and Randy have organized, is a opportunity to experience something different with your motorcycle riding. A track day is a great venue to learn something new while doing something you already enjoy. The setup is fantastic, the people involved and will meet and talk to are all great. Everyone participating is out learning something new, so everyone is in the same boat.

You have your new class 6 riders, riders with few years of putting around town and racers who know are still learning new skills. Yes, it's mostly guys out, but everyone is out to enjoy riding their motorcycle. I did a full day in July, in terms of motorcycle skill building and experience equal to about a dozen solid rides.

You don't need another pair of shoes or bag that sit in a closet, for the same cost (depends on your taste), you'll learn something that you can use everytime you jump on the bike. Nancy forgot to mention is that you get a solid leg workout for free. :rockon:rockon

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Nancy, I will be out on the 6th to snap some photos. Shots from Nancy's last event are here.

Also, you may want to correct this from post #7 above - "For the August 6th day our pre-registration ends at midnight August 31st, 2011." I think you mean July 31st?

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nancy, I will be out on the 6th to snap some photos. Shots from Nancy's last event are here.

Also, you may want to correct this from post #7 above - "For the August 6th day our pre-registration ends at midnight August 31st, 2011." I think you mean July 31st?
Thanks Tony!! I hope you sold some photos from July 9th - I look forward to seeing you out on a sunny August 6th!

·
Registered
224 Posts
A September Saturday is more possible. Regarding gear... would textile pants and jacket do? (Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants.)
I just asked Nancy on Facebook. She said Textile gear was fine.

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ladies, I sure hope to see you all out on the 6th of August to Pitt Meadows. I've had several women inquire but few sign up.

Pre-registration ($20 cheaper price) ends on July 31st at midnight so make sure you pre-reg to save $$'s. It's going to be an awesome day - come out for a smokie at lunch (at the very least) and see what we're up to. You can try out the afternoon session then.

Leather and textile gear is perfect.

See you there,

Nancy

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,213 Posts
Nancy, if I was going to bring my YSR, what class would I fit in?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts