BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard about this plasti-dip brand where you can't paint anything and rip it off if you don't want it anymore.

Anybody here use this? Plasti-Dip? Kind of interesting...

Maybe paint an undertail or something? How about paint the whole bike?

From my search I've seen plasti-dip commonly used on rims for cars.

If you have used this, let me know on some information like where to get it, price, durability? Will it fade? Is it possible to paint a whole bike? Or even a whole car?

Pics would be nice too!

Thanks BCSB!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have an Audi allroad. It came with the greyish urethane bumpers and wheel arch flares. After some time I got tired of that plastic looking faded so I bought a couple cans of the plasti-dip in black. It worked out really well and the car looks far more 'upscale' like it should have. The finish is nice, not at all like a flat paint and not shiny like a gloss. It's perfect for this type of application since it's rubberized.

I did not prep the bumpers other than using a wax and grease remover. So naturally around my rear bumper sill the rubberized coat is rolling off on spots where the dog has been landing on it. The beauty is that it's pretty tough, otherwise. And it can easily be touched up and not look like it was.

That said, I don't know if it'd be good for an entire bike. Spots where it would see lots of body contact would definitely rub off. The tank and frame rails wouldn't last more than a couple days I'm sure.

I found it really hard to track down. During our trip to the Kootenays I stopped in 5 towns along the way that had Home Hardwares and finally found just one that carried this in aerosol cans.

edit: just added pics. I know it's hard to tell and in this pic the grey bumpers looked nice, but against the metallic paint, and given the other trim is all black, it looked unfinished.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,290 Posts
Lots of guys on e46fanatics.com use this for wheels, grilles, etc. It works as advertised, but can be a pain to clean off from tiny surfaces w/ lots of small parts. There was a dumbass that plasti-dipped his whole, brand-new Audi and then used a pressure washer to "clean it off" a few months later, taking half the car off with the plasti dip. Be smart.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I have a buddy who used a Krylon product to re-paint the Kawi green on his KLX to bad-ass black. It stayed on as long as he had the bike and lasted very well. You never saw the green again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a buddy who used a Krylon product to re-paint the Kawi green on his KLX to bad-ass black. It stayed on as long as he had the bike and lasted very well. You never saw the green again.
<Start hijack\> I would paint it on with a mop and bucket if it would cover up that ugly Kawi green. Why or why do they continue to use that colour ? Team Fugly Green... </End hijack>

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good Kristopher08! Car looks amazing! Thanks for your input boys, I'm planning to cover up my whole bike this winter. Mainly the fenders, tail, and front end. Thanks for the input on plasti-dip boys!

If there are more pictures of work on bikes or cars on plasti-dip.. Share!

I want to see a whole car plasti-dipped! Is there any?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plastidip in Vancouver

Hi, we carry Plastidip at Industrial Plastics & Paints - Langley. Available in aerosol, pint, and gallon sizes. Give us a call at 604 533-6677 to check colour stock.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
I am definitely thinking of giving this a go on the few chrome parts on my SV....mainly the headlight ring. @Kristopher08...Where did you pick up your plastidip. Was at Home Depot last night and they didn't carry it. Or will I have to trek out to Langley.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I am definitely thinking of giving this a go on the few chrome parts on my SV....mainly the headlight ring. @Kristopher08...Where did you pick up your plastidip. Was at Home Depot last night and they didn't carry it. Or will I have to trek out to Langley.
It wasn't easy to find. I called some local Home Hardware stores and came up empty handed. Then I had a bright idea that on our journey to the Kootenays there must be some HHs in towns along the way. I stopped at 4 before locating a couple cans of the black stuff at the Grand Forks Home Hardware.

It's nice to hear IPP in Langley has it. The pasti-dip does wear off when rubbed (at least on my plastic bumpers is does) but it's been a year and it's super easy to touch up.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
IPP it is ... Cheers kris

Yeah it seems like an easy way to build up the confidence to paint some of these pieces.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
It wasn't easy to find. I called some local Home Hardware stores and came up empty handed. Then I had a bright idea that on our journey to the Kootenays there must be some HHs in towns along the way. I stopped at 4 before locating a couple cans of the black stuff at the Grand Forks Home Hardware.

It's nice to hear IPP in Langley has it. The pasti-dip does wear off when rubbed (at least on my plastic bumpers is does) but it's been a year and it's super easy to touch up.
I think I saw your car in North Van last night...Looked great. I love those All Roads, wish they still made them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts