BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a terrible day of running out of gas on the highway, and my fin' shitty plastics breaking free, I need to fix a little nob that clips into the frame. I've already done this before no this particular piece, and I'm wondering if anyone knows a glue that works well on motorcycle plastics. I can't zip tie this part of the bike, and the epoxy I used last time just busted off riding.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
ABS Cement is the only "glue" that will stick 100% to ABS. That's because it bonds itself by melting itself together. Works great on ABS drain pipe, but it's messy as hell for a fairing.

Instead, go buy a "Fairing repair kit" from Quarical Products. I bought one at last year's bike show, and stabilized a bunch of cracks on an EX500 fairing. It worked great! I bought a second one this year... Just in case. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've used shoe goo to reinforce some cracked plastic, and it's still holding up. It don't look pretty, but at least it's not falling apart. Might be worth a try??

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I did a pretty massive repair to my fairing when i bought the bike. Used abs glue and ground up some abs pipe. Works great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I never really thought much about it. I mean at least what kind of plastic it was, I never clued in, but yeah the ABS glued worked great. Thanks for the help, hopefully she holds on the highway :)

·
The new kid
359 Posts
Methylene chloride is also a type of glue, works well with acrylics. How else do they glue plexiglass pieces together; yup, MC.

You can get a 500ml container for around $7 at any hobby shop. Caution, the vapours are hazardous ('known to could cancer in lab rats") so work in a well ventilated area.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Nuclear_Summer said:
Thanks guys, I never really thought much about it. I mean at least what kind of plastic it was, I never clued in, but yeah the ABS glued worked great. Thanks for the help, hopefully she holds on the highway :)
Be careful with regular ABS cement, it does "eat" into the surface a little ways, and if you happen to use it on a place where the fairing is particularly thin to start with, you may find that the outside of the fairing starts to sag, bubble, etc.

Apparently you can mix abs cement with abs shavings and make a homemade version of the Quarical products glue, but you have to work *really* fast with it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) works %100 for fairing repair. Rough up the surrounding areas (and the edges if possible), clean it as much as possible (no finger grease) and apply the stuff with some kind of force holding the edges together. For a real neat trick paint the crack and all around the area with the crazy glue, then dump baking soda on there. Wait a few minutes, then brush it off.

·
The new kid
359 Posts
KaiBosh said:
Crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) works %100 for fairing repair. Rough up the surrounding areas (and the edges if possible), clean it as much as possible (no finger grease) and apply the stuff with some kind of force holding the edges together. For a real neat trick paint the crack and all around the area with the crazy glue, then dump baking soda on there. Wait a few minutes, then brush it off.
I always thought that Crazy Glue only works with surfaces that mate together well; wouldn't roughening up the edge create 'voids'?

As well (according to Discovery Channel's Daily Planet), the surfaces must be clean, but not bone dry, as cyanoacrylate bonds using water molecules i.e. no water, no bond.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Which is why you can speed up cyanoacrylates by breathing on them (sometimes, anyway). The moisture in your breath is sometimes enough to trigger the cure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts