BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few things in life are better than installing a new chain, right?
( well, there is sex, and chocolate, and red wine, and the grin from your dog, and getting your tax refund, and a new job, and... but you get the general idea. a new chain is pure pleasure!)

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Train Rim
!)

Reactions: Squisher

·
Registered
722 Posts
I do enjoy a new chain. Always rivet it myself. And if I acquire a bike it's one of the first things I check. I get bugged at times for how meticulously clean I like to keep chains. Part of my cleaning regime is looking the chain and sprockets over in their entirety but specifically checking the rivet. Am I correct in thinking from the pic that you too clean the packing grease off right away?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,861 Posts
"there is sex, and chocolate, and red wine, and the grin from your dog"

--doser, 2021

what tf did you do to my dog?!!?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many kms on the old one.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

just under 40K... so I bought another DID, same as OEM. I usually get under 20K from EK, etc...

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
Having a new chain, is like donning a fresh/clean pair of underwear after a long and very hot day in the saddle.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,530 Posts
Man you can eat off of that new chain.
My chain is always messy, dark, chunky, and scary looking - like my sex, chocolate, red wine, and grin from the dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just under 40K... so I bought another DID, same as OEM. I usually get under 20K from EK, etc...
My bike has 30k on it so I was curious. What triggered you to change ? Was it running rough or just no adjustment left?... what kind of sprockets did you use?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bike has 30k on it so I was curious. What triggered you to change ? Was it running rough or just no adjustment left?... what kind of sprockets did you use?

it was 'slappy' the last few times I put the bike up on a stand and cleaned it, so a few tight links. I didn't see it as related to the chain at the time, but the low speed, low throttle performance was quite 'jerky' too. that's gone now - smooth and clean - lesson learned.

OEM sprockets, and while I mostly change them when i do a new chain, they looked great, so i left them on. we'll see if that was wise or not... I might be short-changing the lifetime of the new chain... but I also know people who only change sprockets every second chain change...

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,329 Posts

·
track hack
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've got just shy of 18k on my chain/sprocket set and it seems mint, but I know it won't be to much longer before I get to enjoy new again. I did mix up sprockets about 6k ago and dropped one tooth on the front. I've found my chain has been in that 'sweet spot' where it hasn't needed adjusting in forever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts