BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Drug addiction is a social problem, not a criminal problem. Junkies stealing your stereo to get a fix is a criminal problem.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Some really great stuff there - let's hope the next reigning US government has some balls to do something with it.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Good clip. Makes a lot of sense.

Good luck changing 100 years of attitudes however, it might take 20 years before something signifigant is done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REVELATIONS said:
Good clip. Makes a lot of sense.

Good luck changing 100 years of attitudes however, it might take 20 years before something signifigant is done.
I agree. Changing deeply held beliefs takes a lot of effort and some courage. Seems a little too much to ask, especially from some of our neighbours to the south who think the war on drugs is "doing God's work." :devillook Some of those people are also the architects of the war on terrorism and the patriot act. If there is a God, He's probably rolling his eyes and shaking his head at all the stupidity going on, in His name, down here on good 'ol Earth.

In this case it speaks volumes that high-ranking, experienced police officers, judges and politicians are speaking out against the laws that they are required to enforce/support. Maybe they will inspire others in similar positions to find the courage to break with tradition and actually use their brains a little.

·
Registered
936 Posts
After walking the beat for over 5 years in the Downtown Eastside/ Chinatown, I also came to realize that drug addiction has to be dealt with in a medical setting. Forced medical setting if need be.

If zoo animals lived in the conditions that these addicts live in, the zoo officials be in jail for cruelty. We allow this to happen everyday for years in the downtown eastside. These are human beings who made an error in judgement and are now hooked and cannot get out. All the officials keep doing is feeding more money into area without treating the source of the problem....the addiction itself. Giving more free needles, or a place to shoot up or more recently the talk of a place to catch a nap after shooting up is pretty ludicrous. How about sending those addicted to drugs into forced treatment. After their treatment, train them on jobs. Then let them back into society as contributors and not thieves. Oh, I forgot, we cannot do that because it violates their rights!!! Before the civil liberities get involved, the reality for an addict is that the drug thinks for them, not their brains. So really, their civil rights are irrelevant.

Think about this....average addict spends between $ 100-200 /day on illegal drugs. That's a lot of theft from autos and break and enters. And we have thousands of addicts in the downtown core alone. The current political appetite is to keep the status quo. The money makers are the service providers who would be out of a job if the addictions disappeared....

We have a conspiracy re the treatment of drug addicts in the downtown eastside. But who wants to listen? And be out of a job???

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I agree its a disease. I have not done the drugs these individuals get into but I imagine the addictiveness is so high that it causes the brain to re-juggle its most primal priorities such as food,water,reproduction,shelter. The drug places itself at the top of the list at the expense of these otherwise primal priorities. These addicts as a result sacrafice food/water/shelter ect to spend thier energy on the aquisition of the fix.

How do you police something like that? How do you reform something like that? I find it comparable to asking someone to give up eating! This is how powerful I imagine these drugs are.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
One thing that has been brought up in the past is that a lot of these people (eg. east van) are trying to fill a continuing void in their lives with drugs.

If it isnt with crack cocaine, it will be with alcohol for eg. as it used to be many years ago for many people.

·
Registered
701 Posts
fz1 said:
Think about this....average addict spends between $ 100-200 /day on illegal drugs. That's a lot of theft from autos and break and enters. And we have thousands of addicts in the downtown core alone
If we wanna really cut down to the core of the problem (property theft), why not legalize drugs completely? Heroin sure as hell doesn't cost as much as it does because it's expensive to make. It's all risk factor right? Hit the people profiting off misery where it hurts. Make it legal, make it cheap, clear the damn jails of people in there on drug charges (or if recidivism rates are flicking on any lightbulbs, get rid of them altogether) and then look at treatment.

If I hear one more conservative "tough-on-crime" platform I'm going to be sick. Fuck tough, get smart.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
bre said:
If we wanna really cut down to the core of the problem (property theft), why not legalize drugs completely? Heroin sure as hell doesn't cost as much as it does because it's expensive to make. It's all risk factor right? Hit the people profiting off misery where it hurts. Make it legal, make it cheap, clear the damn jails of people in there on drug charges (or if recidivism rates are flicking on any lightbulbs, get rid of them altogether) and then look at treatment.

If I hear one more conservative "tough-on-crime" platform I'm going to be sick. Fuck tough, get smart.
+1 :thumbup

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I could never get my head around the concept that BC's number one industry, far exceeding lumber is weed. How can the provincial government not profiteer off of something this financially massive?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Tattoodles said:
I could never get my head around the concept that BC's number one industry, far exceeding lumber is weed. How can the provincial government not profiteer off of something this financially massive?
the 'problem' for governments is that weed is quite easy to grow, in fact it grows itself. all you have to do is harvest it.
so it's much harder to controll and tax.
you see, hard liquor for instance is much more complicated to manufacture in large quantities, therefor easier to control its production and distribution.
I think maby the fear is that all of the sudden an entire population will get high and start slacking at work, leading the country to recession.
as the vid suggested though, legal or not, the % of population ABUSING drugs does not change much...

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
bre said:
The Liberals said this many times. Enough to start the gun registry to get guns out of the hands of criminals. That's another whole story.

There reaches a point where prevention is lost sight of and cure is the only accepted fix. Think though about people who like to take drugs, not to fill a void or becasue they got hooked by another junkie. How will you solve their addiction? Are they not the feeder group for the problem drug users?

Many people who use recreationally dismiss the gateway drug axim. It's unfortunate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_drug

http://www.goerie.com/niegatewaytab/gateway_drugs.html

Stop the spiral for "at risk" personality types. This type of change starts at all levels of society.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I see alot of organizations going after the "symptoms" of the problem, but not getting to the "problem" itself.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
cosworth said:
The Liberals said this many times. Enough to start the gun registry to get guns out of the hands of criminals. That's another whole story.

There reaches a point where prevention is lost sight of and cure is the only accepted fix. Think though about people who like to take drugs, not to fill a void or becasue they got hooked by another junkie. How will you solve their addiction? Are they not the feeder group for the problem drug users?

Many people who use recreationally dismiss the gateway drug axim. It's unfortunate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_drug

http://www.goerie.com/niegatewaytab/gateway_drugs.html

Stop the spiral for "at risk" personality types. This type of change starts at all levels of society.
wow heres an eye opening statement out of that wiki link you provided.

"Heroin, cocaine and alcohol were classed in the most addictive and lethal category; benzodiazepine, hallucinogens and tobacco in the medium category; and marijuana in the last category."

when you think of drugs this way, we have the two legal substances holding down a spot in the high and medium categories. YIKES!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts