BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Richmond police are now issuing a zero-tolerance policy on vehicles that have aftermarket parts that are designed to increase performance of any car. If they pull you over, they will ticket you and TOW your car on the spot. This includes everything from exhausts/headers/intakes to suspension modifications. CBC Newsworld just showed this. This is absolutely outrageous. Tell anyone with a modified car to avoid richmond for now.

Got this message from a couple of ppl.

Glad that I still dont have my car.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have to agree with you this is completely ridculous

but i am also glad like you that i got rid of my car, that is actually part of the reason i got rid of it in the first place

by by NOS, it was fun while it lasted, nothing like a 280 (70hp shot) horsepower prelude, it was fun to suprise people with the cheater gas

but then SMZ shows up and spoils the party:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
feenix_guy said:
Richmond police are now issuing a zero-tolerance policy on vehicles that have aftermarket parts that are designed to increase performance of any car. If they pull you over, they will ticket you and TOW your car on the spot. This includes everything from exhausts/headers/intakes to suspension modifications. CBC Newsworld just showed this. This is absolutely outrageous. Tell anyone with a modified car to avoid richmond for now.

Got this message from a couple of ppl.

Glad that I still dont have my car.
that is absolute ludicrous!!!! (a big :1up to the guys that thought this up) but i believe you man.
on saturday night when i was driving home from continental plaza (asian strip mall) in richmond i saw an undercover van with lights and an impala cop car pull over a white Type-R. i thought no biggie, the dood must have been speeding n got caught, but as i made the turn n got a closer look, i saw that right across the street was a television camera man shooting film of the cop n driver. the driver was out of the vehicle talking to the cop n i'm guessing he's gonnabe towed. damn! i'm thinkin, they must be really cracking down on speeders ever since those rash of accidents!
but crap! i never thought they would go to this extreme!! i think this new rule is absolutely crazy n will affect a tonne of ppl. not just owners of moded cars, but auto shops n so on....

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
The thing on the news, I really liked his outlook on the whole thing for the most part. I believe they're certaintly is two types of drivers.. it's not the cars. Shit, I see people speeding and goofin' around in all types of cars, from Cadillac's to Pathfinders.. it's the people, and the mentality of some of these people.

That come bothered me, he said, if they have to race, do it on a legal track. Well then Mr. Cop, build us one. And if anyone suggests Mission, I'll laugh, because it's too far away for most, and you don't get nearly the amount of runtime you should for the amount of time you spend there.

I saw a guy getting his car towed because his car was lowered too much? (eh? looked like at least a couple of inches of the ground) and his exhaust was too loud. Ok, I can understand, give the guy a ticket, and make him change it, but TOW HIS CAR?! That's just become outrageous. They're are plenty of people in this town with modified cars that don't race, they just like it sound good, and look good - and now we all pay the price?... I don't really get it. People die everyday because of car accidents - are they trying to tell us that only these mod'd cars drive fast? Are they trying to tell us that they're the only ones who get into accidents with speed being a factor?!

I admit - they'res a few idiots out they're obviously that don't know when it's appropriate to 'race' someone, and something's gotta be done about that - and no, I don't have a solution right now. A lot of boyles down to a lack of other news, and a 'community awareness' of what's going on. Cops gotta do something to make the '90 Ford Tarus drivers (ducking :p) in they're mid 40's happy.

And what about the fact that most of these guys that crashing are in STOCK CARS. These arn't people that really care about their cars - the guys that dump that much money in to a car realize that it's not worth crashing. Well.. I'd say most of them do - but even so, all the crashes have been stock cars to my knowledge.

For those that didn't see the news, here it is:
http://www.ayeu.com/n2o4u/images/cbc_racing.wmv

He's actually a friend of mine, and he's been doing the street racing thing for a few years.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If people on bikes keep crashing and doing wheelies on 4th Avenue, it's going to be bikes next.

Why don't I ever see these supposed racers on a real road? Like hwy 20 or up to Mt Baker, North Pass or South Pass rd? I get it.....that actually takes some skill cos there's corners.

I don't have any sympathy for some of these rich kids in Richmond. I've almost been killed by more than one of them while I was on the bike. After all, some of them didn't even need to pass a driving exam, they just bought their licences.

"It's not IF you speed, it's WHERE you speed."

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
To me (having lived in Richmond since '83), it's not just the fact that some kids are bought their cars and they don't feel that sense of 'ownership', but it's the people that just arn't paying attnetion... how many times do I get cut off by some elderly woman who shouldn't be driving because she can't keep up with the rest of the traffic? ...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
This is the start of the reaction to everyone pulling their hair out over the recent street racing deaths. It will get worse when the weasels start to increase radar traps on 50km/h city streets. After all, who drives 50 anywhere? The next step is a blanket 40km/h zone in town instead of 50, and the subsequent reduction of limits in so called "risk zones". I don't know why they're so childish in North America when it comes to speed. If the Coquihalla was in Europe it would have a 160km/h limit and it probably wouldn't be enforced like the French autoroutes. If there was a place where we could speed, we'd be less likely to be frustrated and speed everywhere.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I don't agree with it at all. This law is one of the most stupid I have heard in a long time. Its different if your racing or endangering the public but if your driving down the street and you get yanked, thats wrong. If you have a legal inspection sticker can they still take it. I think if its 3" up or 3" down your car must be re-certified isn't it. I know that years ago a friend and I were pulled over in a jackup Toyota and he had to have it inspected.

That being said, I can understand if they pull you over and you have NOS hooked up. Lets face it, if that stuff was never really meant to used on the streets.

I sense that there may be alot more V8 sold in Richmond:rolleyes :D . Fear the Mustangs and Camaros:rolleyes .

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Guys,

I completely disagree with this as well.. it's complete bullshit. Start zero tolerance with retarded drivers, don't worry about what kind of car they're in.

The problem is, we can bitch and bitch and bitch some more here online.. but the uninformed masses are the ones getting media coverage. If a change is going to be made, the other side of the coin needs to speak up.

I'm not saying having some half wit with no aptitude for english telling the media they know street racing is wrong but still do it.. I'm talking about people like us, who would be more than willing to keep everything on the track if we had one.

Jim.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
atomlowe said:

I sense that there may be alot more V8 sold in Richmond:rolleyes :D . Fear the Mustangs and Camaros:rolleyes .

mmm...I wonder if I would be able to get a good price on my 1981 Buick LeSabre V8 in Richmond....??? :D:D:D:D:D:D

BTW...are all our riders' after market cans legal ? hope noone's running on racing cans....

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
I think its total BS as well but it's so obvious the only reason their doing it is because the media has blown everything way out of preportion (sp?) and got the general public in an uproar. Now the police have their backs up against the wall and have to make it look like their doing something to curve the racing and speeding problem (even though pretty much none of the accidents as of late we're race related or involving fast cars). THe average soccer mom or senior citizen will drive down the road see these high power race cars (civics with huge ugly wings and not high performance at all) getting towed and think, ya the cops are finally getting these racers (stereotype).

I totally disagree with the route the police have chosen, I think they would be better off with toughening laws for streetracing combined with bringing in and promoting places for people to race legally, more tracks. I place most of the blame on the media, but they have no morals or shame, it's all about sellin a story.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
*pose for the camera, ok lets get one with the town councillor, greaaat*.

-And remember, people with modified cars make up 100% of those involved in street racing collisions resulting in injury or death, involving modified cars. Do your part and shoot one today.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Mr. Murphy said:
*pose for the camera, ok lets get one with the town councillor, greaaat*.

-And remember, people with modified cars make up 100% of those involved in street racing collisions resulting in injury or death, involving modified cars. Do your part and shoot one today.
Uhhh.. no? I think your wrong here. Like I said, all the accidents of lately (exluding the one down Oak St.) involved STOCK cars or very little done to them. Take a look at my buddy's Integra on the news, full turbo system, fuel management, blah blah blah. He actually CARES about his car. It's not just a car with a 'super duper huge ass wing' on the back and some noise maker on the back.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Reread his post :)

And remember, people with modified cars make up 100% of those involved in street racing collisions resulting in injury or death, involving modified cars
People with modified cars make up 100% of collisions involving modified cars. It was meant to be funny, least I think it was............. :laughing

B

·
0 Posts
ugh, we are giving the police too much power these days. I agree with jim, we need to organize some sort of counter-point to this.

this is an obvious case of the media twisting the facts to prove their point. not one of the cars in their accident footage were modified. (at least visually) I'd like to see the numbers of people injured and killed in regular accidents as compared to the actual number from racing. I'll bet my left nut racing is lower. it's only a matter of time until this starts to affect the bike community. like I said in another post, it's education that's the answer, not punishment. better licencing systems and repeat testing. we as citizens put these people into office and they pass these rediculous laws for the cops to prison-rape us with. we need to fix this narrow minded way of thinking and acting. what are we, americans? although, who am I kidding, I'm just going to go home at the end of the day and turn on speed vision (sorry, "channel") and do nothing.

BTW, what the fvck is with these kids putting huge wings on the back of front wheel drive cars? does this actually help the front gain traction? they look fugly to me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Call me an old fart, but what's with the clear lenses on tailights? Is this some kind of fashion statement?

The sad part about it, is that street racing has been going on since they invented the 2nd car. It will never stop, so it's another oportunity for the gov't, using the cops as tax collectors to impose laws that raise some revenue. Meanwhile, the real criminals are delighted the cops are busy somewhere else.

The missing prostitutes on the east side is a prime example of resources being used incorrectly.

I remember in the 70's being stopped on Robson St and the cop had a noise meter, which he stuck into the Jardine exhaust I had on the bike. He gave me a warning but I had to go back to the city test station and get it recertified. This is after it had passed with the same exhaust.:rolleyes

My buddy had a Triumph chopper and we were guaranteed to getting stopped at least once a month when riding with him, so the cops could check the vin numbers on his bike:rolleyes

This kind of harassment has been going on for ages. It'll last till the heat is off the cops. Let's just hope they don't concentrate on bikes after the first motorcyclist dies this year.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know this guy was trying to point out that its not racers fault but I dont think he helped by saying that they race in industrial areas or that they normally have radios with people ahead to check for safety, then race spur of the moment with the cbc ride-a-long handy to tape it. All this special did was try to re-inforce the fact that racers are the problem and somehow justify the polices new rule. grrrrrr I hate the way media twists things to there view.. exact case in point:

I've had to do a couple interviews for the media before where they wanted to showcase young people in the technology. So I sat with them and tried to correct the view that all these young guys have crazy stock options and are millionaires. at one point I said. "I think there are some myths to dispell, I think the public has this opinion that everyone is rich. Of course the dream is to cash those stock options for millions, but it just doesn't happen like that."

The final interview that they aired showed me driving up on my sportbike and they cut one of my sound bytes to have the host say "and these young guys are up and coming, with big rewards." cut to me saying, "of course the dream is to cash those stock options for millions" :confused It went on to twist a couple other of my quotes to fit their bill.

bravo media, thanks for trying to present young people in technology. I'll have to watch how I say things in the future *sigh*.

-arai-

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I never got to see the news broadcast. Anyone know where they would list the relivent points. I tried mybc, but nothing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts