BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thank fuck for technology

I can't believe I now live in a world where the police are watching over us with drones in the sky.
I can't believe I now live in a world where thieving, lowlife, druggie scum freely cause mayhem without consequences and,
Police dispatch drones to catch a few speeders.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I can't believe I now live in a world where thieving, lowlife, druggie scum freely cause mayhem without consequences and,
Yup. Hypocrisy and double standards of 21st century leftist society. Expect more, and to a higher level. Government loves power more than crackheads love crack.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,329 Posts
It's actually quite simple and logical: they go after the higher ROI.

The druggie scum have a fat zero to their name, will never pay a fine, and don't own anything that can be confiscated for financial gain. That terrible won't-somebody-think-of-the-children speeder has got plenty that can be taken away.

Business 101, yo.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
we need a 'Ghost Rider' come-back ...

Reactions: Steve G.

·
lover of twins
6,128 Posts
I'm sure this will fall on mostly deaf ears here, but the general public perception of and attitudes towards "druggie scum" is generally based on a very poor understanding of addiction and mental health issues. Count yourself fortunate that the path of your life has taken you in a different direction.

·
lover of twins
6,128 Posts
Re police state - yeah no, we aren't living in one.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,861 Posts
* A new technology appears!
-Now, 'society' must determine how and where to apply it's use:

a) to liberate
b) to enslave

...even in cases where the initial intention is 'A', the general tendency will always be towards 'B'.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever." — George Orwell

Reactions: OldSchoolOldFart

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd agree with Syncro on this one. It seems pretty logical to use drones to catch speeders. If it happens to me I'm not going to cry about it.

Contrary to popular belief, law enforcement doesn't have a mandate to focus on traffic offences. They have other priorities but stories like this are great at driving ad revenue for news media.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm sure this will fall on mostly deaf ears here, but the general public perception of and attitudes towards "druggie scum" is generally based on a very poor understanding of addiction and mental health issues. Count yourself fortunate that the path of your life has taken you in a different direction.
While I respect your opinion, it's similar thinking that has got us into the situation we endure today.

Can't incarcerate thieves. Can't institutionalize the mental cases or the addicted.

And god forbid we lose empathy for * marginalized * folk. Instead we give them free housing, free food, free everything. So how's that working out for you? Try living in a town with supportive housing. It's a freaking shitshow.

I moved into a quiet, peaceful neighbourhood in the Okanagan. Rarely a problem until supportive housing went up. I can't tell you the number of times I was out chasing "druggie scum" in the wee hours of the mornings. Security cameras and motion sensors had to be installed.

Thank the Liberals for their soft on crime mandate where courthouses are now revolving doors.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Wow. Such vitriol. Wonder why I don't visit this forum more often.

Anyway, in the past they've used a helicopter to bust speeders so not sure why it's a big deal to use a drone. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure it'll be no big deal one day when drones are just overhead recording everything, I mean it seems like a good idea, then all crimes could be solved.

I value my privacy and I think surveillance such as using drones like was reported is a slippery slope,

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Drones used for observation for the means of ‘speed tax’ collection, perhaps over reach, and not really surprising in 2021’s era of debt ridden government. They will be coming for those who can pay a tax, a fee, a fine, etc. Police state? Not yet.
Of course the drug addicted ‘non tax payers’ in society who do not contribute to society in any way except to spawn an opportunity to employ a myriad of ‘poverty whore’ companies with nice little government contracts giving out needles, drugs, etc. They are never on the radar of police for fine tickets, the police understand who can and will pay these fines

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
revenue recovery

·
Registered
313 Posts
Many people seem to be forgetting that speeding, in general, is a danger to society at large. I'm not talking about anybody riding a motorcycle of course. :rolleyes:

I'd rather pay a speeding ticket once in awhile over having somebody I know getting wiped out by a reckless speeder. I don't know about you guys, but I only speed when I'm not a danger to anybody else on the road. When I get my ticket every couple of years it's just par for the course.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Many people seem to be forgetting that speeding, in general, is a danger to society at large. I'm not talking about anybody riding a motorcycle of course. :rolleyes:

I'd rather pay a speeding ticket once in awhile over having somebody I know getting wiped out by a reckless speeder. I don't know about you guys, but I only speed when I'm not a danger to anybody else on the road. When I get my ticket every couple of years it's just par for the course.
Agree. There is a time and place for ‘enthusiastic ‘ touring. Unfortunately most of the appropriate areas are block from us north of the 49th. Post lockdown times as we are in, drivers are stressed, and yes, I literally see it every day, rush hour Hwy 1 , every manner of 4 wheeled vehicle passing me at 50km+ faster than my 105km. There’s a time and place, but 160 in your 3500 RAM dual 4x4 in rush hour isn’t it. Revenue speed collectors in these cases, I actually endorse, drone or whatever.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problems of large city centres I won't even pretend to know about as I can't even recall the last time I went to the lower mainland. But in my locale the problem is people driving slow as fuck and completely clueless. Not speeding. The whole mentality around driving and speed has shifted in my area in my lifetime from most people doing 10-15 over the speed limit and those that didn't being courteous and conscious to the fact that they were impeding others and either pulling over or atleast helping to facilitate being passed. To nowadays people either barely making or not even getting up to the speed limit and feeling quite justified to hold up endless lines of traffic because speed kills don't ya know. People flying by me at excessive rates of speed is never a problem I encounter, but people bumbling their way barely down the roadways sauntering along like fucking space cadets often is.

So yah drones hovering in the sky as another tool against 'speeding' isn't giving me warm fuzzy feelings about how policing dollars are spent.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
Ha ha - slow drivers ... perhaps the legalization of 'weed' has led to more people driving after smoking a fattie or ingesting some pot laced cookies ... causing them to drive slow as fudd ...

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,329 Posts
Ha ha - slow drivers ... perhaps the legalization of 'weed' has led to more people driving after smoking a fattie or ingesting some pot laced cookies ... causing them to drive slow as fudd ...
I'm in the same neck of the woods as Squisher. I don't think weed has anything to do with it. There are two groups of people exhibiting the exact behaviour Squisher mentioned:

1. Seniors.
2. Karen/Ken types, typically in a half-cylinder vehicle, inline with the latest eco trend.

Both groups regularly, and I mean fucking REGULARLY, drive 10kph under the limit on the only street (one lane each way, no passing zones) leading to my neighbourhood. "Frustrating" doesn't even begin to cover it.

I believe Squisher is right off Hwy 6, which also has its share of such clowns, but that road at least has some opportunities to pass them.

In any case, the entitlement and lack of giving a shit about anyone outside themselves is a real problem.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yup. Yesterday, Hwy 1 westbound, at 208th, there’s this hippie looking dude with a mask on inside his air sealed Nissan Leaf, barely 80km/hr, in the fast lane, line of traffic behind him, unable to pass because pissed off everybody else is passing him on the HOV lane and the right lane. Totally incapable of the situation at hand, or NF Given.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts