BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
To torque or not?
94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 95 Ducati 900 SS CR, 04 ST3, 07 ST3S, 90 VFR750, 02 VFR800, 82 Gpz 550X2, NS400
905 Posts
I'll bite. The anti-vaxx crew has supplied me with many hours of entertainment this past year. "My rights", "sheeple", "commies", "nazis", etc. Protests here and there. It's funny stuff.
They gather near where I live for their weekend protest. Some hooting and hollering but not a big crowd.

I know some of them. One guy wears a jacket with "Vaccines Kill" on the back. He's probably the saner one. Another guy tells me they are injecting nano particles that can kill via smartphones. Covid has really brought the whack jobs out.
I live in a very “anti” community. Kinda spooky. Our local government has put a deadline of Jan 17 for all employees, including firefighters to be vaccinated, My local fire hall is losing 15 of 21 firefighters because they refuse to state whether they are vacced or not. There goes my home insurance. Selfish bastards.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
I’ve heard rumours of BC going the same way Alberta has for disputes, time will tell.

As for traffic enforcement, I say put speed cameras on the major routes and flash away. Just like doser said, keep them off the fun motorcycling roads and I’ll be happy.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,338 Posts
As for traffic enforcement, I say put speed cameras on the major routes and flash away. Just like doser said, keep them off the fun motorcycling roads and I’ll be happy.
I have another idea:

Join the "Richmond Learns to Park" (and similar) Facebook groups, take note of every license plate that shows up in those photos and force the driver to start the Graduated Licensing Program from the start. I suspect there's significant overlap between dumbass driving and dumbass parking. Bet the roads will be noticeably safer within a year!

·
lover of twins
6,137 Posts
Please point out who, exactly, held a gun to their head and forced them to inject their first dose of heroin, smoke their first dose of meth, or whatever else they're on.

Until you can provide that info, I'll stick with the "it was their choice, and it is on them to live (or die) with the consequences" camp.

Stop reviving these useless, parasitic fucks and let the problem sort itself out.
I provided a link as to some of the causes of addiction. Addiction spans more than heroin or meth, it includes alcohol, gambling, sex, and other things. Addiction is as much of a behavioural problem as it is a substance problem. Addiction has strong ties to mental health issues. Addiction can often be influenced by factors that are beyond the control of the addict where they have no choice in the matter at all. Your choice (and others) to see the very complex topic of addiction as simply as you do is a greater failing than addiction itself as you have the capacity to learn more about it, but you choose not to and instead fill your opinion with hate.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Syncro: Most of us may not understand the complexities of addiction and mental health but we do live with it all around us.

So, instead of complaining about hateful opinions and misunderstanding what is your remedy? How do we reverse direction? I don't want a kumbaya sermon. The kumbaya shit ain't working.

·
lover of twins
6,137 Posts
Syncro: Most of us may not understand the complexities of addiction and mental health but we do live with it all around us.

So, instead of complaining about hateful opinions and misunderstanding what is your remedy? How do we reverse direction? I don't want a kumbaya sermon. The kumbaya shit ain't working.
It's true that most people don't understand the complexities of addiction and mental health, but most people also don't care to do much about it besides complain. I previously offered some info as a means to learning about the issues but it seems most people didn't bother to read it all and some decided to continue on with their ignorant opinions.

In terms of a remedy there is no silver bullet - which is probably the first thing to understand. The second thing to recognize is that for the most part, the "choice" argument is flawed and to be blunt pathetic. People that argue people choose to be addicted are choosing to be willfully ignorant. There is a plethora of info on the causes of addiction. Because there is such a wide range of factors that lead to addiction people need help that is individualized, but it can happen under an umbrella of generalized services. The public tends to complain about the visible impacts of addiction, and this usually takes place at the intersection of addicition, poverty, homelessness and mental health. Add in the fact that substance use/abuse often happens as a means to deal with significant trauma (physical and/or mental), and you can begin to see how difficult it can be for someone to overcome addiction when they are often fighting a whole host of other issues that make it harder to deal with the addiction issue itself.

Vancouver has tried to do a good job with implementing the four pillars approach, but the amount of success is limited by the amount of support available at each step. Four Pillars drug strategy Don't forget to include the fact that Vancouver has it much worse than other major urban centres due to the nature of us having a much milder climate than the rest of Canada and that our housing costs are out of control as well.

One of the easiest ways to look at the problem is from an economic perspective - which is really the wrong way to go about it - but that seems to be the best way for those who don't want the kumbya or humane approach. It is cheaper and more beneficial to society as a whole to have the right resources in place to prevent addiciton/homeless/mentalhealth (AHM) issues before that become significant problems than it is to deal with the aftermath that these issues create. The problem with having the right resources in place is political, societal and monetary. A lot of that means the attitude people have towards AHM, how important an issue it is for them, how much pressure they put on politicians to make it a priority, and how much they are willing to pay. It begins as early as providing prenatal care and counseling, having programs for children/youth at risk such as school lunches/breakfasts/after school care and pretty much any other type of problem you can think of. Poverty is a major factor but not the only one. So as a society, how willing are we to invest in pre-school and school aged programs to help keep kids out of the stream that puts them at increased risk of addiction?

I have more to write, but gotta run. The #1 thing is to start changing attitudes about what addicition is (a health issue) and start looking at things with a much wider lens to appreciate how most social problems are interconnected and the worst of what we see is all of those things coming together.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
It's true that most people don't understand the complexities of addiction and mental health, but most people also don't care to do much about it besides complain. I previously offered some info as a means to learning about the issues but it seems most people didn't bother to read it all and some decided to continue on with their ignorant opinions.

In terms of a remedy there is no silver bullet - which is probably the first thing to understand. The second thing to recognize is that for the most part, the "choice" argument is flawed and to be blunt pathetic. People that argue people choose to be addicted are choosing to be willfully ignorant. There is a plethora of info on the causes of addiction. Because there is such a wide range of factors that lead to addiction people need help that is individualized, but it can happen under an umbrella of generalized services. The public tends to complain about the visible impacts of addiction, and this usually takes place at the intersection of addicition, poverty, homelessness and mental health. Add in the fact that substance use/abuse often happens as a means to deal with significant trauma (physical and/or mental), and you can begin to see how difficult it can be for someone to overcome addiction when they are often fighting a whole host of other issues that make it harder to deal with the addiction issue itself.

Vancouver has tried to do a good job with implementing the four pillars approach, but the amount of success is limited by the amount of support available at each step. Four Pillars drug strategy Don't forget to include the fact that Vancouver has it much worse than other major urban centres due to the nature of us having a much milder climate than the rest of Canada and that our housing costs are out of control as well.

One of the easiest ways to look at the problem is from an economic perspective - which is really the wrong way to go about it - but that seems to be the best way for those who don't want the kumbya or humane approach. It is cheaper and more beneficial to society as a whole to have the right resources in place to prevent addiciton/homeless/mentalhealth (AHM) issues before that become significant problems than it is to deal with the aftermath that these issues create. The problem with having the right resources in place is political, societal and monetary. A lot of that means the attitude people have towards AHM, how important an issue it is for them, how much pressure they put on politicians to make it a priority, and how much they are willing to pay. It begins as early as providing prenatal care and counseling, having programs for children/youth at risk such as school lunches/breakfasts/after school care and pretty much any other type of problem you can think of. Poverty is a major factor but not the only one. So as a society, how willing are we to invest in pre-school and school aged programs to help keep kids out of the stream that puts them at increased risk of addiction?

I have more to write, but gotta run. The #1 thing is to start changing attitudes about what addicition is (a health issue) and start looking at things with a much wider lens to appreciate how most social problems are interconnected and the worst of what we see is all of those things coming together.

I’ve had two family lost to addiction, departed early so to speak. I get it. Seen it. Worked downtown east side for23 yrs. Discovered more than my share of persons passed away innthrir rooms.
Financially, the situation has become unsustainable. $3 million a day is the cost of general support along Hastings and Main for Van City alone. Never mind the BC govt or Ottawa. More people die from OD than “the Couffe” the last 2 yrs. It’s not about to be resolved unless we shut down the source (Chinese Communist Govt). We tax payers should not feel guilty that we are not doing enough. We are certainly doing enough being tax payers. Audits of the “poverty pump companies” in the downtown east side should be undertaken annually as there is huge evidence of theft, fraud, etc (Portland Hotel Society) going on there, and continues.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,338 Posts
The funniest thing here is your astounding ignorance. The saddest thing is your hate.
Please point out who, exactly, held a gun to their head and forced them to inject their first dose of heroin, smoke their first dose of meth, or whatever else they're on.

Until you can provide that info, I'll stick with the "it was their choice, and it is on them to live (or die) with the consequences" camp.

Stop reviving these useless, parasitic fucks and let the problem sort itself out.
Still waiting ^

·
lover of twins
6,137 Posts
I've made a response to your "held a gun to their head" comment - maybe you're choosing to ignore it? The "choice" that you seem to believe is simple, is not, and is typically not a choice as you see it and is pretty much never a one step fall to addiction. The path to addiction is covered with many steps of many different types. This idea that you have that people just get up one day and choose to become addicts is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I guess we can debate our failing society all day long. We know the present system is whacked and its going to get worse. "Fasten your seatbelt. It's going to be a bumpy ride".

·
lover of twins
6,137 Posts
I guess we can debate our failing society all day long. We know the present system is whacked and its going to get worse.
Well there really doesn't need to be much debate. The issues have been studied and researched quite well and we have a good idea of what works. We're failing in the area of preventative care which is what is allowing the issues to continue on the scale that they are. We need to take an integrative and preventative approach to dealing with things like homelessness, addiction, mental health and more. It's far more cost effective and more successful to put measure in place to help prevent these things from happening in the first place as opposed to trying to fix them after. It's no different than motorcycle maintenance - check your oil so it doesn't get too low, change your brake pads before they wear out, replace chain and sprockets before they fail and potentially cut your leg off. The way we handle social issues is the equivalent of waiting to the chain fails and then having to deal with a severed limb.

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I guess we can debate our failing society all day long. We know the present system is whacked and its going to get worse. "Fasten your seatbelt. It's going to be a bumpy ride".

Correct, society is crumbling. Such a shame, it took the last 150 yrs to build what has been the apex of western society, the greatest society in human history, only to have it dismantled within 50 yrs.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well there really doesn't need to be much debate. The issues have been studied and researched quite well and we have a good idea of what works. We're failing in the area of preventative care which is what is allowing the issues to continue on the scale that they are. We need to take an integrative and preventative approach to dealing with things like homelessness, addiction, mental health and more. It's far more cost effective and more successful to put measure in place to help prevent these things from happening in the first place as opposed to trying to fix them after. It's no different than motorcycle maintenance - check your oil so it doesn't get too low, change your brake pads before they wear out, replace chain and sprockets before they fail and potentially cut your leg off. The way we handle social issues is the equivalent of waiting to the chain fails and then having to deal with a severed limb.
Good analogy. That, I can understand.
What you say makes sense but fixing something that has spiraled out of control is akin to adding oil to your engine after it seized.

·
lover of twins
6,137 Posts
Good analogy. That, I can understand.
What you say makes sense but fixing something that has spiraled out of control is akin to adding oil to your engine after it seized.
Yeah it's the same with most societal problems - the proverbial frog in the pot. I don't think we're at the seized engine point, but we are heading that way. IMHO what as to happen to avoid it is people need to start changing their perspective on these issues and that starts with learning about them. The problem there is the avg person can't be bothered to invest some time into seeing how these things affect them, what the big picture is beyond say the inconvenience of dealing with the "druggies". Ignoring it or brushing it off is self defeating and society needs to understand that we all have a stake in these matters, whether they affect us personally or not.

One other thing that\s important to note in the area of drug overdoses is that not all of those dying are hard core addicts. The hard core addicts are actually better able to deal with the drugs tainted with fentanyl or carfentanil, a lot of the people that are dying or od'ing are casual or recreational drug users that get these substances mized into their other drugs. That's why there is call for legalization and developing a safe supply, so people can get their substances tested to see if they're safe before they use them.

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,338 Posts
Virtue signalling, victim blaming, and the traditional "poor meth heads didn't have a choice but to light up that pipe because of mythical societal failures." As predictable as it is stupid. Give us something new and interesting to chew on!

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,864 Posts
1: acquire free heroin
2: load up the trusty dart gun
3: run around handing out O.D's like Oprah

41 - 60 of 65 Posts