BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Is trading religion for peace acceptable?

• Ban all religion

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Ban Islam

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Religious freedom should not be restricted

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the government proposed banning Islam and/or religion as it will reduce instability and promote peace, would you be agreeable?

·
Registered
371 Posts
No, never! I appreciate diversity and will be willing to put up with differences of opinion and even tension for that diversity. Violence on the other hand, must be controlled.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Never.
I agree with SilverSV650's points.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
The religious laws, or the laws of the land? What if they conflict? Without even mentioning Islam, here's another example: polygamy. Condoned by some religions, but illegal in canada. And nobody's upholding that law because they think if they try it in court, the religion will win.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
laws of the land.
if the laws of the land are a really big problem they can be ammended.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
mikeelliot said:
...I think we should ban idiots and stupidity.
I love that idea and have thought similarly for a long time. :)
Unfortunately, I think only changing our school system will really have any impact. :surrender

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
screw this, well never get along......lets just have another world war and let the nukes thin the earths population a bit...... :p

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
How about banning peole who do no think for themselves? That would solve most of the world's problems :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
made Man said:
How about banning peole who do no think for themselves? That would solve most of the world's problems :D
Im not sure I know exactly what that means? who here can claim a truly unique thought, or, even less likely, who here can claim all thoughts are unique and uninfluenced.

I suppose we all interpret influences in our own way, but, do we have thoughts that originate from ourselves?

Maybe you're referring to people who don't interpret others thoughts, and take them at face value?

imo whether or not religion is banned is fairly insignificant. It certainly would not reduce the percentages of religious people.

but forget islam, if you're going to do it, ban christianity. We all know thats where all the rapists, drug trafficers, prostitutes, killers, lawyers and politicians come from.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
savagebovine said:
...imo whether or not religion is banned is fairly insignificant. It certainly would not reduce the percentages of religious people...
haha, yeah right.
Look at all the religious people in communist countries where being religious can get you into serious trouble (possibly killed)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
you mean like china, where christianity is growing the fastest

·
???????
908 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
screw this, well never get along......lets just have another world war and let the nukes thin the earths population a bit...... :p
I wish every day, that the bird flu hits us hard!! Anyway, if you want to get rid of religion, you have to do away with free speech and most other freedoms that we have. I think that most people would trade a few vocal morons for the ablity to say that they are wrong.

·
15,773 Posts
savagebovine said:
you mean like china, where christianity is growing the fastest
No, like in the good ol' USSR. Being openly religious there would end up in a "re-education" facility in one of the Gulags.

Read Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita", really good book, it talks about what happened to people who believed in things.

I was talking about people who blindly follow a small group of people, regardless of what they teach/preach. For example, extremist Muslims. Imam says "kill all infidels", so they go and try to kill all infidels. A pastor in the 1800's said "go burn witches", so everyone went and started (wrongfully) accusing people of witch craft and burning them, etc, etc, etc.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
If someone renounces their Christian faith because it's banned, then they weren't Christian to begin with.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
No matter what, there will always be radicals and extremists. So, it's a moot point, really...

M

·
0 Posts
they need to enforce the laws and not enable groups or peoples to hide behind their religion and use it as a pawn. look at all the cults just up here. you dont even need a book or anything and people will follow you. examples are in bountiful (sp?), or just down in washington youve got the following of Ramtha (they made the "What the bleep do we know?!" movie.) Then youve got various scientology groups. while none of them are violent thus far (or at least as far as we know) Ramtha has a full compound which is basically a fortress. Look at all the violence in Toronto, or with the asian gangs around vancouver. Sure the middle east gets loads of attention, but look at what these terrorists are accomplishing. From what Ive seen they accomplish very little with their attacks other than to incite hatred from other groups of people.
Race, religion, language.... theyre all used as copouts mostly because of some kind of percieved fear. I dont understand why the muslims have such a bigass chip on their shoulder, but theyre like the new Hitler. Soo much hate, so much anger. I wonder if the true meaning and reason for the violence has been lost in history tho. Kinda like the message that was given in the first Underworld movie.

·
15,773 Posts
Darkcbr said:
If someone renounces their Christian faith because it's banned, then they weren't Christian to begin with.
Actually before the revolution, religion played a big part in Russian Empire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts