BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I intend riding up to Port Hardy over the Labour Day weekend. OK, I say "ride" but it will be weather dependent: nice weather = bike, rainy = car. OK, OK, so we are wimps. I am old enough and have ridden enough that I really do not have to ride in the rain anymore if I do not have to: been there, done LOTS of that!

We have a question for those that know the area: on the way back we are considering turning off the highway and going to Gold River on the Nimpkish Road and then Campbell River on the Gold River Rd (route 28?). Anybody that can comment on what this road is like?

Thanks

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
It's been a lot of years but the logging road between Woss & Gold River was a well maintained mainline back in the day. I would expect it to still get a grading once every couple of years.
So in summary; I don't know but it was an excellent route!
If you like a bit of the off road adventure; head into Nimpkish, Zebalos & Tahsis. Historic & pretty in a Wet Coast way.
The highway from Saltry Bay to Port McNeil is sort of boring. Campbell River to Gold River is a great road but watch for Prairie Schooners and logging trucks! Best to do it a week after Labour Day if you can!

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
HA! Brain fart!
Not Saltry Bay! Sayward! Lol!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, so unpaved! 2 up + GSXR + dirt road = not my idea of fun...

Actually now that I did a quick check on Google maps: Woss to Gold River: 79km, >2 hrs. Should have checked before I asked!

Thanks for the info in any case: much appreciated.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Do the Gold River Road though. It's one of the better twisty bits on the island. Also; run up and down Mt Washington at Courtenay!
Whatever; enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the Gold River Road though. It's one of the better twisty bits on the island. Also; run up and down Mt Washington at Courtenay!
Whatever; enjoy the ride!
Sounds like a plan: thanks again!

Just keeping my fingers crossed for good weather...

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
It should be good but expect a bit cooler than you're used to. (Assuming you're a lowermainlander)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Port Alice Road is Awesome Very Fast :) Had my gixxerr on there before they finished painting the lines . Best road up that way and I have been going up there since the 80s and just moved back to the LmL from hardy in 2010 .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should be good but expect a bit cooler than you're used to. (Assuming you're a lowermainlander)
This would actually be very welcome: we prefer cooler weather while riding. The forecast 12 - 16°C sounds perfect. The showers... not so much! Keeping our fingers crossed.
The Port Alice Road is Awesome Very Fast :) Had my gixxerr on there before they finished painting the lines . Best road up that way and I have been going up there since the 80s and just moved back to the LmL from hardy in 2010 .
Thanks for the tip! Will for sure do it, weather permitting.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Good Grief! How could I forget to mention the Port Alice road! Yes; a must do!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Port Hardly. Hardly anyone goes there ... lol.

Are you going to eat there?

Maybe Captn Hardy's for fish and chips. Restaurants are hit and miss.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Port Hardly. Hardly anyone goes there ... lol.

Are you going to eat there?

Maybe Captn Hardy's for fish and chips. Restaurants are hit and miss.
This is one direction we have not ridden/driven so we thought it is high time to see what is (or isn't, by the sounds of things!) there. The closest I have gotten to it was Alert Bay on a sailing trip.

As for eating: thanks for the heads up. We tend to eat extremely well (at home and away) so I suppose we will just have to accept the short term deprivation... Hopefully it will just make us better appreciate what we have on a daily basis!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts