BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 9 this am, I saw a blue BMW heading south on 216th past the Langley Airport. Sure looked like the new 800ST. Had the same industrial hard bags. Rider was wearing a safety vest. I thought the ST was not in Canada yet. ???

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<shudder>

sorry, just recalling the acres of cash i spent supporting my bmw riding habit.
The technicians were great, the dealer treated me well, but i was constantly spending money on things that shouldn't have to be replaced. 3 exhaust systems (constantly cracking at the collector) replaced all 3 brake discs (plenty of pads, so not abuse) 2 fuel pumps, within 10 days of each other, 5 sets of steering head bearings, and on it went. The only thing that never, ever gave me any trouble on that motorcycle was the engine.
Nooooo, I try and look away, no matter how good looking they are, and put one hand over my genitals and one hand over my wallet.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
michael said:
<shudder>

The technicians were great, the dealer treated me well, but i was constantly spending money on things that shouldn't have to be replaced. 3 exhaust systems (constantly cracking at the collector) replaced all 3 brake discs (plenty of pads, so not abuse) 2 fuel pumps, within 10 days of each other, 5 sets of steering head bearings, and on it went. The only thing that never, ever gave me any trouble on that motorcycle was the engine.
Nooooo, I try and look away, no matter how good looking they are, and put one hand over my genitals and one hand over my wallet.
Can we talk about your Honda now Michael? Where are you in the OK. You can PM me if you like.

...back on track...that is a great looking bike, but the market it is meant for can afford it or the insurance that they will need to cover it...

but I still like it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh, i like it too, as i like most bmw's.
I think their engineering ideas are ingenius, however, my personal ownership experience was less than stellar.
I know of many other riders who have a number of bmw's, and don't have half the problems with their "fleet," as i did.
Perhaps I should have added YMMV!:laughing

·
who farted?
525 Posts
I dont like the BMW's design of their bikes!

R

·
0 Posts
michael said:
<shudder>

:rockon Tutonic Harleys! Last so long because everythings replaced.
I'd get another airhead as a toy but those newer things are not worth the money.

R

·
0 Posts
I've heard the K1200 uses the same bags. The F800 probably won't hit us till some time in mid 2007 from what I can tell, although there is a very very slight chance that we have some early review models around here.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I don’t understand the allure of BMW either. In what way are they better than the Japs, given their much higher prices and problematic exclusivity? Nope!

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I think Beemer's are still coasting on what they were 20-30 years ago, and some of the aura of the cars.

I had a R65LS and it was a great bike, you could pull over by the side of the road and balance the carbs, or set the valves with the tool kit it came with. The battery however would self destruct every 8 months so that was a bit of a hassle. Fortunately I had the kick option so at least I could ride down to the dealership to swap it out. If I'm ever in the Deely museum that's the first bike I stop at.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I don't think I'd ever buy a BMW motorcycle.
It'd be very uncomfortable...
I mean I get a big boner just LOOKING at them, riding with a bone is definately NOT comfortable.
:laughing

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Seriously, anyone poo-pooing these bikes should take a K1200R or S out for a test ride before reserving the right to comment. The 'holy fuck' factor is times a thousand.

R

·
0 Posts
Danke said:
I think Beemer's are still coasting on what they were 20-30 years ago, and some of the aura of the cars.
:rockon
They owned the sport touring market for a number of years and they are established in the heavy weight dual sport but Bang for buck, they do not match the Jap bikes.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Seriously, anyone poo-pooing these bikes should take a K1200R or S out for a test ride before reserving the right to comment. The 'holy fuck' factor is times a thousand.
Oh, I don't want to be misunderstood. The performance is there, the quality of some components is there, however, I was merely speaking from *my* perspective, and *my* experience.
A test ride, or ownership for a period of time is one thing, my experience stems from 100,000+ miles and 6 years of owners.
Would I buy another one? From my positive dealer experience, yes, if I had sufficient evidence proving to me they have dealt with the engineering deficiencies (my opinion again) of some components.
The Para & Tele-lever suspensions are top drawer, the engines can be made to sing, and their creaure comforts/adjustmns are leading edge.
If only they didn't cost x or y times as much money to owner and maintain, as some other brands.
(I'm a fan of the twins....I like the twins)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts