BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we get a good collection of parking lots/large paved flat areas for motorcycle practice in the lower mainland. Places that are safe and without major obstructions or debris.

Places where you can learn moderate speed maneuvers.

Places where you can learn to lean your bike (repetitive corners, like roundabouts and such).

Places where you can learn to stop quickly (no debris to hinder learning).

Places where you can learn tight maneuvers at slow speed.

Safe Stunt places - not public roads. (wheelies, stoppies, etc) Preferably a long straight area unused/no debris/flat.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if u go to annacis at the right times, say early on the weekend, its not such a bad place to play around.... jsut something off the top of my head. lemme think a bit more.. im a bit slow today.... :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
best i've seen is off to the side of hwy 91 close to the 64th ave exit...it's a huge asphalt lot where they often teach driving lessons...it's almost always empty and big enough for anything you'd want to do...perfect for practice (where i learned to drive):D

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
i actually taught a friend how to ride right by science world. Theres a section of road that is used as a track for different types of occasions. Its not huge but theres no one there and its clean. Its like an oval track with barriers surrounding it. It goes under a walkway that leads to science world. I try to get a map and post it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thread topic, we all need good places for repetitive practice to become better riders. There is no better way to learn.

Although I've not tried it I've been told the parking lot a Seymour can be a good place in the summer once it's clean.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Langley Kwantlen parkin lot on a sunday is best. I always see bikes learning to ride there. Very clean and safe.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Flag R6 said:
Good thread topic, we all need good places for repetitive practice to become better riders. There is no better way to learn.

Although I've not tried it I've been told the parking lot a Seymour can be a good place in the summer once it's clean.
Seymour is good, during the summer, I plan on going to practise there and watch the YSR guys when go out there.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Here are a few that I have ridden and heard about....

• Nordel exit off the Alex Fraser Bridge
• Stave Lake
• Dudney Trunk
• Sylvestor
• Sea to Sky
• bottom end of Cariboo road that winds under the Gaglardi way overpass and works up and around and comes out at Austin and Lougheed
• Duffy lake road
• 64th and turn left onto the first side street which takes you pass Westview park, which has a nice few bends that go down then up and ends at 72nd ave
• The junction @ the 91 and 99 is nice for a single high speed right onto the 99 via the 91
• Bust a biatch @ the 64th exit (Chevron) and hit it goin the other way from the 99 to the 91 goin left
• road out to Ioco in Port Moody.
• How 'bout the little kink in 8th Ave just West of 200th StFrom being dead straight and deserted, it slows to a 30km/h left hander, uphill around a fast tight right-hander over the creek, then a quick drop and simultaneous tight 30km/h left hander, then uphill to 200th St.
• headed north on highway 99 and you go down the hill past the new save on foods and there is the exit to get on to King George and it has a little S-turn followed by a nice right hander then the mearge
• Mountain Highway in North Vancouver. Headed uphill after the freeway overpass is a great left-right combination. Keep the revs high-ish and you'll get a big ole wheelie when you crack her open after the right hander. Watch out for radar in the church parking lot on your right, but if you see one of the Queen's cowboys don't panic, just take the left turn before the church. If you're looking for the fuzz, you can take the turn in time and they won't be able to see your plate
• Turning left from Oak St on to W19th Ave, then up the hill on a gradual curve, straighten out, then a sharp no-stop right and downhill onto Hemlock Ave
• Wilkinson Road in Saanich. From Hwy 17 to Helmcken Road. Wise to go slower here due to lots of tcross traffic, but some sweet corners, dips and rises. Built in the day when they didn't design roads, they just paved the places people were walking
• The best place to open the bike up without riding in a straight line, has got to be Hwy 3 West from Osoyoos to Keremeos. Beautiful long unobstruted views, with swooping curves that can safely be taken at insane speeds. Usually not too busy, but unlimited passing opportunities make traffic a non issue. Some nice slow corners too, to practice the downshifting, and hard braking. Get those knee sliders out boys and girls
• lougheed highway !!! the ride out to harrison and back is great, just before harrison is some twisties (not really twisty) that swoop up then down the mountain...
• Marine Drive, West Vancouver between Horseshoe Bay and Dundarave
• Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon from Yale all the way to Cache Creek. For a high-speed, no-copper return trip, take Hwy 5 from Ashcroft to Merritt. Then take Hwy 8 from Merritt to Spences Bridge. Hwy 8 is a beauty. It never stops twisting and turning. Very little room for the highway in the Lower Nicola valley, so there are absolutely no straight sections.
• Cyprus Bowl and Seymore
• If any of you wannna do a great but lower speed road, come up to the British Properties or Westhill in WEST VAN
The most amazing tight twisties on pretty good roads, but it winds through pure residential areas, so the best time is later at night. You may be tempted to gun it but DON'T! The roads are tricky and really tight turns on less-than perfect road surfaces come up just when you wanna put that knee down. It's still an incredible ride, especially when you get to the top of the BP's, where you've got Million dollar views (literally, that's why the BP's are ranked the 2nd wealthiest area in Canada).
If you just wanna clear your head and go for a nice, sweet, ride, here are the directions:
1. cross the Lions Gate bridge (coming from Vancouver)
2. stick to the left, and come into West Van.
3. Stay in the right lane AFTER the wide sweeping turn and turn right up Taylor Way
4 Go up until you reach the highway,(-stay on the left to get on)and head West till the first exit (15th street exit)
5. Head uphill and you are on Crosscreek Rd, follow the sweeping turn up and go for about 15secs, turning left at the Firehall. You are on Chartwell Drive. Stay on Chartwell and enjoy it, all the way to the top. Then enjoy all the roads up there.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Atomlowe-You gave us a ton of places to ride and several of them I didn't know about, now can you make the same list for out of the way practice area's where we don't have to worry about traffic, rocks, etc........ If you can I'd be a happy camper, and probably a better rider.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Flag R6 said:
Atomlowe-You gave us a ton of places to ride and several of them I didn't know about, now can you make the same list for out of the way practice area's where we don't have to worry about traffic, rocks, etc........ If you can I'd be a happy camper, and probably a better rider.
oops...I guess I should have read the whole post....I'll see what I can come up with in terms or "out of the way areas".

atom

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Yeah I want some full visibility flat twisties with safe run-off to practice hard(er) cornering. Also some long safe traffice free straights to break in the high end on my bike would be nice. Not like I'm dying to run the 200+ range.. I'd just like to have a (safe) place to let the bike stretch, for the sake of the engine :). Normally I'm more than content doing 20 over and getting my thrills by leaning into corners at non-mach speeds.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old Boundary Bay Airport runways

Great place to practise and learn ... however the sticky tarmac made for airplanes will give you a false sense of security when you return back to the regular ashfalt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts