BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the gixxer I bought a few weeks back has a Power Commander on it, which the guy said was tuned by a Suzuki dealer, he didnt mention which one. Anyways, I'm having rough idle and hesitation (feels like a misfire) problems, and I want to narrow down that its not the PC causing the problems. The rough idle sounds almost like a cammed V8, very burbly, perhaps thats normal? The hesitation and/or misfiring seems to happen more intermittently. I thought it was a issue of dirty injectors, but I've run a bottle of cleaner through it, seems to have maybe helped a little, but that could be mental. Anyone familiar with Power Commanders that would be able to give me a hand this weekend?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maps..

Try uploading the correct MAP for your set up. Each power commander must be tuned for your specific application. In my opinion, a power commander is one of the best upgrades you can do to your bike for the bucks. There are many MAPS available to match any upgrades you have on your bike..exhaust etc.. If you really want to squeeze every once of performance out of your bike, a good dyno tuner can creat an optimal MAP for your bike.
Stewy said:
Hey guys, the gixxer I bought a few weeks back has a Power Commander on it, which the guy said was tuned by a Suzuki dealer, he didnt mention which one. Anyways, I'm having rough idle and hesitation (feels like a misfire) problems, and I want to narrow down that its not the PC causing the problems. The rough idle sounds almost like a cammed V8, very burbly, perhaps thats normal? The hesitation and/or misfiring seems to happen more intermittently. I thought it was a issue of dirty injectors, but I've run a bottle of cleaner through it, seems to have maybe helped a little, but that could be mental. Anyone familiar with Power Commanders that would be able to give me a hand this weekend?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
No don't upload "the correct MAP" as the place to start, that is done much later, if at all. Is the bike 100% OEM or not? Do you have the accelerator pump option? If so make note of the settings. In any case this is the correct order:

The first thing to do store the current map on your laptop.
The next thing to do is load a zero map into your Power Commander.
The next thing to do is try out the bike, see how it runs and let us know.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
HOLD IT!

PC or no, carbs or FI, every bike still needs to have the carbs or injector bodies synched now and then. If your bike is only idling roughly and otherwise seems to run well then it's far more likely that you just need to get your injector bodies synched. Get that done first and find out from the mechanic if it was far out or not. IF that doesn't fix it then you can start diddling the PC.

And ditto on saving what's in there as a start. Don't ever overwrite anything and save all your steps as separate files. Hard drives have tons of room for this stuff and if you delete anything sure as shootin' it'll be the one you need later.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Right you are, strangely enough, IIRC, my VFR shop manual indicates the starter valves need to be synced (and I have done this myself - it’s fun) but the throttle bodies never, as they are supposed to be set from the factory and that’s it.

·
Rider
121 Posts
Power Commander

Try running without the Power Commander and see what it is like in the stock form. I had problems on my Suzuki TLS and it turned out to be a bad connection with the plug-ins on the PC.

S

·
0 Posts
i dunno if you've ever heard a gixxer idle but they're pretty lumpy at idle cuz of the cams. it is normal to have like a repetitve lumpness to the idle on them. your other problem is probably more to do with something wrong with the FI system than the pc. best to unplug the pc first and see if it goes away-they've been known to fuck up if exposed to water and such.

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Stewy,

Replace the plugs for Iridium Denso plugs. The 750s don't come with the iridium (like the 1000) and it makes a big difference to the idle and throttle response. I replaced them for Katie's 750.

Cost is about $9 a plug at Lordco.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Try replacing every part of the bike with updated 2006 parts. By replacing every last part of the bike, there is a good chance your problem will be solved. Plus, the 2006 gixxer is a pretty sweet bike.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CorvetteBoy said:
Try replacing every part of the bike with updated 2006 parts. By replacing every last part of the bike, there is a good chance your problem will be solved. Plus, the 2006 gixxer is a pretty sweet bike.
Thanks for your very helpful reply! :laughing

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer some of the above questions, no the bike is not fully OEM. Its got a full Yoshi exhaust and a K&N filter. Also, if sitting at a light or coming to a stop and I blip the throttle, sometimes it will pop and basically miss.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
That last bit about blipping at a light sounds like you've got the wrong map after all. Provided your spark plugs are less than 6 or 7000 kms old I'd go with a new map. If they are getting on then go with new plugs before playing with new maps. You likely need the new map too given the blipping deal but you want to make sure you eliminate any issues with the spark plugs before you dive into the programming.

·
???????
908 Posts
I don't pretend to be a expert on this, but every review I've read on the power commander says you really need a custom map for the best results.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Custom Map!!!!

Defaulthonda said:
I don't pretend to be a expert on this, but every review I've read on the power commander says you really need a custom map for the best results.
I Agree , When I Installed My POWERCOMANDER I Was Useing Map's off the Net etc, Never Could Get it to run just rite, then i Had it Custom Mapped at
VALESCO RACEING And it Has Run Excellent Since Then. When they First did the Dyno Run with the Map I Took off the Net it was No where Near Where it Should Have Been, If you Have a POWERCOMANDER Have Your Bike Mapped By Someone Who is Properly Set to Do the Job and is Experienced at Mapping
and you will be Glad you Had it Done.:)

·
100% Asshole
3,394 Posts
Brian5477 said:
Try running without the Power Commander and see what it is like in the stock form. I had problems on my Suzuki TLS and it turned out to be a bad connection with the plug-ins on the PC.
Best advice I've heard yet unplug the power commander see how it runs if its better then u know its the pc if it's not then u have to delve further always try the simplest route.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts