BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I've got a question about tire pressure, my bike is 96 Gix 750, tire is D207. according to the "label" on my bike, it said I should inflate 36PSI on both front and rear. but when I visit Dunlop's official website, I found that they suggest 36 on fount and 42 on rear.

now, why there is a big difference between 42PSI and 36PSI?
which one should I go for?

any input will be appreciated, thanks in advance

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Try them both and see what you prefer. I have seen many threads where people post what pressures they run, and it is amazing how DIFFERENT almost everyone is. For example, I run 29 front, 35 rear. I bet if a bunch of other people posted theirs, you would see huge variances. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
psi?

I like running 38 rear and 36 front.............ken.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The inflation figures on the tire are the maximum figures. If you are carrying a passenger and are near the max. weight for the bike, these are the numbers to use.

Tire pressure makes a huge difference on handling, especially the front tire. vrecksler is right, you need to experiment for yourself and find out what works.

Personally, I use 34 front/ 36 rear.
I'm 160lbs on an F4i with Dunlop D207s

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
42 sounds VERY high. I suspect that is a max pressure.

Just for reference I'm running the F2 on the track at 30 F&R. My 9R runs at 32F and 34R because it doens't feel as squirmy that way. This is for 207's on both bikes.

Get the pressure too high and your not going to have as much traction because the footprint will be so small.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy shit, 42 PSI!!!!
I had the exact same combination (bike and tires) and used to run 31 to 32 front and 32 to 33 rear. About 90% aggressive riding and I weighed 215 or so.
They stuck damn good for me at those pressures.
Hope it helps.....
:rider

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it the rule is: the more you weight, the more you should inflate?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Basically my tires say 36/36 but I run 34/36 bike feels better that way, Dunlop 208's.

You just have to experiment and find what feels best to you. My old Beemer ran 32/38 on Bridgestones.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HHHHMMMMMMM.....IMHO, The manufacturers spend millions on tire r&d; It would seem logical to use thier posted recommended pressure,for street use. The track is another beast all together. If you have an owners manual the rear is usualy 36psi and 42 if you REGULARLY carry passengers. The front 99 times out of 100 will be 36 as well.
I would think that if one is to alter tire pressure in an attempt to cure handling difficulties they'd be barking up the wrong tree, and not looking at the suspension where the root cause most likely is. Suspension wizardry is where it's at man; and if one doesn't have a stable platform to work from(tires set at manufacturers reccommendrd pressure inorder to preform with the characteristics that were designed into them);
You will NEVER! get the bike to Handle/Ride properly.
Once again The track is another story.
:thumbup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know after riding my '96 GSXR750 with the tires at 36 psi as recommended and trying to feddle with the suspension to work with the tires at that pressure, I hated them inflated that much. When I dropped the pressures to where I mentioned and feddled with the suspension some more I throughly enjoyed riding the bike and it stuck MUCH better. And yes this was on the street. The recommended tire pressures are a cover the maufacturers ass thing and nothing else. And I don't think you need to raise the pressures the heavier you are, you need to set your suspension stiffer the heavier you are.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am totally with Sticky_Buns, suspension is where the magic is, the tire pressures are the recommended psi's not only for passengers but for best all-round conditions (grip, durability, stability)

So dropping psi is a good way to get some more grip for HARD cornering (on a track) but most professional opinions I've read say stick close to the recommendations for regular and even spirited riding. For the record I keep 36 and 42 on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports, and have no problems keeping up with my local yahoos.

My 2 cents worth...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts