BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make sure the oil you're putting in your bike is clean? Ie. if you use a funnel or other device, how do you clean it first? Or do you just pour the oil straight from the bottle into the hole?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Well I have a dirty funnel for draining old oil back into the container and a clean funnel for putting oil into the bike/car. They're like 2 bucks at Crappy Tire don't be so cheap! If you really are that cheap then my apologies and go to the local Chevron and steal the paper funnels out of their paper towel dispensers.

If you gotta clean a funnel, use some nice brake cleaner or contact cleaner. Works like a charm.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
paper towel soaks up oil well enough to clean a funnel.

done.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Rag/shop towel does the trick, I only have one funnel.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
If you get dirty oil in your bike, pee on it and it stops the stinging.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have separate filters in my shop for oil, gasoline, antifreeze and one for generic. I find the blue shop towels work well enough to clean 'em out.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
if I'm worried, I clean my funnel out with hexane and a paper towel, then blow dry with compressed air. my doctor says I'm coping well with my OCD.
meh..i'm not usually that worried.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Paper towel and clean to the eye is all you need.

Some of you are needlessly paraoid about this clean aspect. So just to feed the paranoia I'll mention that there's about one to two cups of dirty, sludgy, BLACK as soot oil is still left in the engine even after you let it drain for an hour. There's little pools here and there throughout the engine as well as the film on all the parts.

So a light coating of old oil or even house dust on your funnel means slightly less than nada........get over it...... :D

·
no longer a hooligan
342 Posts
clean oil??? you put clean oil in you motor, i just drain it put a new filter on and put the oil back it. you don't need to change it. the filter keeps it clean. it suppost to be black. right??

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Paper towel and clean to the eye is all you need.

Some of you are needlessly paraoid about this clean aspect. So just to feed the paranoia I'll mention that there's about one to two cups of dirty, sludgy, BLACK as soot oil is still left in the engine even after you let it drain for an hour. There's little pools here and there throughout the engine as well as the film on all the parts.

So a light coating of old oil or even house dust on your funnel means slightly less than nada........get over it...... :D
i take a garden hose and stick it in my breather every oil change to rinse those little pools out so its squeeky clean when i put the new oil in. just leave out the drain plug and let er rip. never fails me!!

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I take out the funnel, it allready has a rag in it so I give it a quick wipe. Then I sit the rag around the filler/funnel in case I spill. Pour in the oil, and when it's all drained in I pull the funnel, wipe it again, and stuff a fresh rag in for the next change.

·
Federal Protection
358 Posts
This is a silly thread.... I can't believe people are that paranoid about the cleanliness of their funnel.... I just try to make sure it's free of beer suds from the previous nite.....hahahaha.

Really listen to Tee Tee.....as long as your not chucking "nuts and bolts" into your crankcase...a little dust or even old oil wont do much... and yup.... that is what the filter is for.

I am surprised this hasn't already turned into a "Synthetic versus Mineral" battle already....oops maybe I started the Hijack. hahahaha

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
This is a silly thread.... I can't believe people are that paranoid about the cleanliness of their funnel.... I just try to make sure it's free of beer suds from the previous nite.....hahahaha.

Really listen to Tee Tee.....as long as your not chucking "nuts and bolts" into your crankcase...a little dust or even old oil wont do much... and yup.... that is what the filter is for.

I am surprised this hasn't already turned into a "Synthetic versus Mineral" battle already....oops maybe I started the Hijack. hahahaha
I have a different funnel for each,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts