BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too dark and too wet. I thought I might ride thru the winter to shorten my commute, but I just don't have the jam! So, there's fuel stabilizer in the tank, the battery is on a charger, everything is in general pretty clean, and it's tucked away under its cover. I don't have a garage, so it lives on a pad in the back yard.

Previous winters have taught me that the chain ends up rusty, especially where it contacts the sprockets. I don't mind much, cuz it seems superficial and I clean everything up come spring, but it'd be nicer to avoid it if possible. So I slathered a thick coating of Bellray waterproof grease over the chain and all the indentations on the sprocket too. We'll see if things are any better come 4 month's time...

Anyone try the same trick? Comments?

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
Mine went a bit surface rusty over last winter as well (parked on a covered deck, while under a bike cover plus full tarp as well); this year ... she's nesting in a corner of my living room ...

;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
try an old sheet or blanket which is more likely to soak up moisture. Before covering your bike, give the metal parts a liberal spray with a corrosion inhibitor such as WD40 which repels water. Try to store your bike in a warm and dry spot such as next to a hot water system.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
'21 Vulcan 900 Custom
2,239 Posts
Pulled it into my Dad's shop for the winter. Might have some wood dust come spring but it's not going to freeze! Change the oil & filter next weekend, add fuel stabalizer and look forward to skiing!

·
backslider
11,344 Posts
I just recently saw a Shell station with a new 93 octane Supreme option; yet am not certain if it is ethanol free or not.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I just recently saw a Shell station with a new 93 octane Supreme option; yet am not certain if it is ethanol free or not.
Yes. I’ve recently made 2 calls to different offices of Shell Canada to determine the ethanol %’s of each option on their new fuel octane levels. And 2 local Shell stations. Mixed and inconsistent answers as yet.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Be careful with those brushes as they may damage the o-rings in your chain. And about that floss you've been using Don...

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Interesting. Chevron needs the competition. But does Shell have it on a separate hose ? I've seen 94 at a Petrocan in Osoyoos but its on a shared hose, bummer.
Good question. About 4 yrs ago, Shell went from separate hoses from all 3 octanes, to 1 shared hose. So yes, to be a fussy person, you should pump .8 of a litre Into your car before filling up a jerry can.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question. About 4 yrs ago, Shell went from separate hoses from all 3 octanes, to 1 shared hose. So yes, to be a fussy person, you should pump .8 of a litre Into your car before filling up a jerry can.
Wow! That's like, fussy to the n-th degree! Let's say there really WAS 0.8 L of fuel remaining in the hose - which is highly unlikely, since the entire internal volume of the hose, judging by the length and diameter, is roughly that same figure... At 10% ethanol, that would be 0.08 L of ethanol. Into a 15 l tank, that would amount to about 0.5%. OK, that's not NO alcohol, but...modern fuel systems are designed to tolerate 10%, or even 15%. I suppose I should admire this level of fastidiousness... (?)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm not concerned with a bit of ethanol but if I buy supreme I want 100% supreme. According to my search, there could be a cup or a gallon left depending on hose and plumbing. No one really knows or I haven't stumbled on the facts. I doubt gas companies would want to advertise this info.
More money for gas stations. Sell a cup of regular for supreme prices adds up in time. Sure, it works both ways but regular outsells premium by a lot. I'll stick with Chevron but I've seen 91 on separate hoses at Canco stations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts