BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning to get my self a Ducati S2R (or) S2R1000. as of now im leaning towards the S2R because of the APTC system which is pretty much a wet clutch system(correct me if im wrong). i want to go with the more powerful S2R1000 but the only thing that steers me away from it is the dry clutch. i could only imaging how rough it would be kicking it around the city. my question is, how would a slipper clutch upgrade on a S2R1000 feel compared to the stock S2R APTC system be? is that the same system?

i was considering Buell Lightning before too but my friends told me to stick with the Ducati. any comments between both bikes regarding reliability, power, handling, comfort, etc...

·
Registered
399 Posts
A dry clutch is a good thing, for alot of reasons why would you be afraid of getting one?
I can't comment on those bikes in particular but a dry clutch would be the last of my concerns.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told that dry clutch is really hard to ride around the city thats why i was little concerned about it since she's gonna be my dialy transportation around the city

·
Registered
82 Posts
The dry clutch will be a heavier pull, but they're not that bad. The slipper should be the same system on both bikes. My 620 has the slipper as well... If you're gonna put yourself in the insurance bracket w/ the 800 anyway, you may as well get the 1000. hahaha its so easy spending other peoples' money.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i've found a dry clutch no problem.fwiw many have a open cover as clutch dust can accumulate and cause noises.slippers will need to be maintained(greased)approx every 1500 miles for proper operation.stiff pull can be fixxed by a slave cyl(aftermarket)but if you ride much you'll likely have no problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Block8, i wish i was spending other people's money on this one hahaha. so what does a slipper clutch exactly do?

900SS, yeah it was from someone who owns a jap sport bike. its pretty much word of mouth and 1 source who actually owns a 749 and other jap sport bikes

sprinter 27, i guess ill be asking thesame question, what does a slipper clutch actually do? at first i though having a slipper clutch would soften up the pull on the lever but according to you a slave cylinder can do the trick. when you said "if you ride much you'll likely have no problems", did you mean ill get used to the stiff pull?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Ducatis definately has a heavier clutch pull than many other bikes, but it's not due to simply being a dry clutch. You'll get a workout on your left hand, that's for sure.

I've owned a few Ducatis. The only time the clutch pull will be annoying is when stuck in stop and go traffic like getting on the Lions Gate bridge at rush hour. For other daily uses, it's not really an issue.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Slipper clutch is one that slips to control the engine braking RPM's from an early downshift to too low a gear. Normally the engine braking in this case would try to rev the engine beyond the redline. The slipper clutch helps to control and avoid this "small problem". Racers like it as it takes away the need to think about one more aspect. For the street it's overkill to compensate for something the rider should know NOT to do.

Dry clutch on my own Duc 900SS was a treat to use both before and after a clutch plate pack swap. If your buddy with the 749 does not like his then there's something wrong either with the clutch or he's not using it just right. The do feel a little different though but that's easily learned.

·
Master of Puppets
791 Posts
CYRUS said:
i was considering Buell Lightning before too but my friends told me to stick with the Ducati. any comments between both bikes regarding reliability, power, handling, comfort, etc...
Don't just decide against the Buell because your friends said so! Do some research and make up your own mind. If you come back to the Duc, fair enough. But you might decide that the Buell is a better fit for the riding you'll do.

That's the problem with motorcycling: too many people listening to their friends about what they should or shouldn't ride!

Motorcycling should be about riding, and to hell what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I like the wet clutch better but only for stunting reasons it doesn't burn out as quick. The top pro stunters on ducati ride the 1000 with a wet clutch conversion. Anyways who really gives a rat's ass any Ducati is a great buy

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
its not that bad once you got use to it , but yes , around city especially when stuck in traffic would take up some muscle challenge ( not to mention bike might get real hot )

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx for all the reply guys. cant wait to get my Duc... just need to sell my truck to pay off some bills... damn!!! anyone wants a truck hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts