BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Life is Good!
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When JD Power gives a 4.5 out of 5 reliability rating for the Corolla but then gives a Toyota CH-R a 3 out of 5 rating... how does this make sense as they use the same engine? Wouldn’t Toyota’s high reliability ratings go across the board to all of their models? Toyota and Lexus make the most reliable cars on the market. How do these ratings work? Thanks!

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,263 Posts
When JD Power gives a 4.5 out of 5 reliability rating for the Corolla but then gives a Toyota CH-R a 3 out of 5 rating... how does this make sense as they use the same engine? Wouldn’t Toyota’s high reliability ratings go across the board to all of their models? Toyota and Lexus make the most reliable cars on the market. How do these ratings work? Thanks!
JD Power "ratings" are a useless sack of shit.

That said, there is also a lot of variety in vehicle quality throughout the Toyota line up. The third gen Tacoma (had one, put 75k km on it) is a beast off-road, but outside of that capability, is utter trash and way worse built than the second generation. Same engine as in numerous other (great) Toyota vehicles, but in the Tacoma it's a POS. An engine is only a small part of the puzzle.

If you're shopping and comparing vehicles, join forums dedicated to the specific models you're interested in, and read up on real-life uses, problems, pros/cons, etc. And obviously drive each model at least a few times.

·
license to chill
2,857 Posts
Agree to go to make-specific forums for in depth info like how-tos for the most common repairs and a good sense of what most owners deal with.
As a first step my go-to is carsurvey.org. Not big enough to get posts from dealerships or salespeople but big enough for a good critical mass of reviews. I regularly stumble upon a long review that can be like gold - details of real world usage and repairs.
Seeing the same qualities (good or bad) mentioned multiple times has been a good indicator. I've read up on all my previous cars and it's been in line with my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts