BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Shoei X-Eleven Helmet.

The helmet I receieved was from 2004 and snell 2000 certified when I had ordered a newer snell 2005 helmet.

My question is : Were there any changes made to the design of the X-Eleven in 2005 to make it snell2005 certified or were all X-Eleven helmets made the same with future snell standards in mind so they could just recertify?

I contacted Shoei North America and even they didn't have this information.

Just need to know if I got my moneys worth, thanks for any input.

·
Vindicated
3,465 Posts
How can we say you got your money's worth if we dont' know what you paid for it?

·
n00b
714 Posts
Think of it this way. People are still riding with Snell 2000 helmets even though Snell 2005 helmets are out. We are not going to run out and buy a new helmet with the new standard thinking Snell 2000 will do nothing.

Unless you are planning to compete in a race where there is a rule stating that you need a certain Snell year minimum (and it does happen in autox for instance, it just switched up from Snell 95 to Snell 2000 because Snell 2005 came out) then you won't be a problem.

If it fits your head well, you're golden.

As an aside, manufacturers state that a helmet should not be used for more than 5 years and should not be used after 7 years from the date it was manufactured, regardless of the length of time it was used. Whether it is scam by them to get us to buy helmets prematurely or not is up for debate by some, but nonetheless, it is something to think about.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
i think somebody told me of a report they read that the new snell standard is 'too rigid' meaning ppls are in danger of causing some sort of noggin' damage due to lack of spread in force at crumple zone... i know this doesnt answer your question but heay, something to think about.. hah!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Snell certifications are dated to date helmets for competition. Occasionally they will change the testing procedures, but not often.

The foam in helmets breaks down over time and loses some of it effectiveness. This is why manufacturers tell you not to keep wearing older helmets. Also the fibreglass in many helmets dries out and becomes brittle deteriorating the shell. The resins will slowly outgas over time and this dries the glass and the fumes eat away at the foam.

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
Then....after the fumes ate some of the foam, your skull gets soft....after that your brain begins to shrink and soon you find yourself working in the civil service.

For GOD's SAKE MAN!!! Buy a helmet every year to avoid this fate.

·
574 Posts
The very same helmet, with no changes to its construction, may well pass the 2005 test standards as well as the older 2000 standards. Especially for a high end hemet manufacturer like Shoei. The question might be better directed to the Snell Memorial Foundation as to what changes were made to their testing procedures and if that in turn necessitated changes to helmet design for the 2005 production year (I personally doubt it...I suspect if there were changes to the test standard, they may have been subtle????).

·
Posing with conviction
5,399 Posts
i think somebody told me of a report they read that the new snell standard is 'too rigid' meaning ppls are in danger of causing some sort of noggin' damage due to lack of spread in force at crumple zone... i know this doesnt answer your question but heay, something to think about.. hah!!
That report was in Motorcyclist magazine and most of the people here will remember the couple of threads on the matter. Check search if you are interested. Not sure if the article is on their website on not. Good article worth reading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.