BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to this forum and bikes. I'm also in the process of maybe buying this 2002 R6 from a buddy from work. So my first question is what are some of your opinions on the R6's (good or bad), is $6000 a reasonable price for an R6? and are they fuel injected?. So please, i would like to hear from some of you R6 owners and the rest of you sportbike fanatics. Thanks again and i love this site, lots of info on here.

·
Obi-Wan Newbie
683 Posts
my brother just bought one 2003 R6 and he likes it. i have a honda F4i which imo is a great learning bike. It feels more balanced and often very forgiving when you make an error. I have to admit that the R6 is a great looking bike. The most important thing is the comfort and fit of the bike. If you feel uncomfortable while sitting on it or even test driving it then for safety reasons find another bike. Especially since you are a newbie and new to the sport. That is all I can offer at this time. Oh yeah you should attend the New Rider's Network and some of the get togethers to meet other riders new and old. You will find alot of answers and opinions there as well. Good luck and be safe out there!!!

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
How many kms are on the R6? I believe the R6's were carbed until 2003, can someone confirm this? Have you taken any training in riding? I would recommend spending the $600 and taking a course...you'll be far better off down the road.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Go and read some of the stickies in this section. They probably have some answers.

:)

If you are convinced that you want to start on a 600cc full fairinged bike (i.e. very expensive to drop & fix) you can google for "600cc shootout " for the year bike you are looking at to see how it compared.

_Please_ set money aside for proper training and good gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, backprotector = minimum $1000)

:flip Welcome to BCSB :flip

R

·
0 Posts
:flip :flip welcome :flip :flip

uh yeah..dropping your bike at any speed thats 20-50 will result in at least 1000 dollars in damages to fix your fairings. if you've got money to piss away because chances are, you WILL fall or crash at one point...then get the R6..2002 R6 for 6 grand...sounds fair..pretty good price imo.

if you want to do it "right". get a cruiser, learn for a couple months, then get a sportbike.

oh yeah, set about 500 bucks away for gear and another 500 or so for a motorcycle course.

M

·
0 Posts
6k seems like a good price if the milage is not so high and needs to replace nothing.
OK price if milage is not high but need new tires and chains.

02 is caburated, 03+ r6 is Fuel injected.

make sure you take a course and read my sig if you want to start on 600:p, ride safe.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
u're not telling us enough about hte bike. 6000 for an 03 R6 is a great deal... btu u gotta tell us more.

L

·
0 Posts
Blue book on an 03 R6 is 5700 .....so 6000 is pretty fair .. Buy it before someone else does....how about a 2005 GSXR 6000 with 1500 KMS for 8600 ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
WOW.... blue book? what book is that ? the book of lies??
2003 R6 is NOT $5700...
a 2005 GSXR 6000????? i don't know about you but i haven't seen a 6000CC bike...
and for 1500 KMS for $8600

i'll give you 9000 now if u can get me that bike...

somethign smells fishy.

L

·
0 Posts
you wanna put your money where your mouth is ..?? its sitting at a dealership ..seen it today ...nothing fishy about it ...what because you dont know about it makes it fishy ...?? Ignorance is bliss....amazing how people think this site is the only source of motorcycle info and sales..open your eyes .....Oh yeah and any R1 no matter if its smashed or busted ..its always worth 25 grand !! ....if you want that bike ..I get the balance of the 9 grand right ?? seriously Pm I will shoot you the address ...

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
$6000.00 is market for a stock R6....it's not a bad price but not a great price ...it's fair to both parties....now take the mileage...condition...and any extras and the price can move up 3-800.00 bucks...if it's from a dealership..add doc fee, and 2 taxes....

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
02's have second gear issues that are no longer covered by warranty. Check r6messagenet or other R6 forums for more info. It is a problem though and worth looking into to save yourself some money.

·
Honda or Nothing
187 Posts
why not?

gamedna said:
No newbie allowed on R6 as well as 749 :flip

my first year riding and i bought an 01 r6. 3 months of solid riding and havent dropped it YET!! haha
just watch the low speed u-turns i came close to dropping, good thing im super strong :laughing

oh ya definetly check out the second gear thing, my bike has that problem, i have to shift out of 2nd gear before i hit 5000-6000 rpm. its getting annoying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
DO IT!!!

I also started on an R6 (still going) and I've had no problems. Just make sure you check your ego at the door when your starting off and you'll do fine.
It probably doesn't really matter what kind of bike you start off on, as long as your not a retard about it. Just get used to it and practice your slow speed riding.

Get all the gear and take a course, as said before. You'll feel more confident and you'll learn how to ride better and faster.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
flowrider said:
02's have second gear issues that are no longer covered by warranty. Check r6messagenet or other R6 forums for more info. It is a problem though and worth looking into to save yourself some money.
DEFINITELY take heed of this warning....R6 = junk :p

·
Woof?
1,011 Posts
best advice for a newb. go buy ur r6, then try and keep up with me. that'll scare you into buying a harley.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
jeckyll said:
Go and read some of the stickies in this section. They probably have some answers...

_Please_ set money aside for proper training and good gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, backprotector = minimum $1000)
I second that motion. Read the stickies on this site relating to "new rider" and first and foremost put aside money for a training/safety course & gear before you buy the bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
kingklay said:
my first year riding and i bought an 01 r6. 3 months of solid riding and havent dropped it YET!! haha
just watch the low speed u-turns i came close to dropping, good thing im super strong :laughing

oh ya definetly check out the second gear thing, my bike has that problem, i have to shift out of 2nd gear before i hit 5000-6000 rpm. its getting annoying.
I also just started riding on the road on an r6, no problems learning on this bike at all. Whats this second gear problem that your having with your bike? I don't seem to be experiencing this problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts