BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Question on buying new old leathers

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Talonz 
#1 ·
I am keeping an eye out on some 1 piece suits and am in no hurry to get anything. Wanted to see what is general feeling on buying suits in like new condition that are older models, and that have been sitting in the closet for years.

I found a guy that is selling Dainese Nitro GP one piece suit. Worn maybe 1-2 times and then just stored away cause it doesnt fit him well. Looking on google, seems this was an old model that has been discounted sometimes around 07

What can go wrong with suit and leather just sitting unused (anything?) Should I even think about something like this and if so, what would be a fair price?

#2 ·
Only thing I would be concerned about is the leather drying out, especially if its a low quality leather suit. Considering it's Dainese, and the leather quality very good, I would just give it a good visual inspection and grab some random sections of the leather and bend it in half and see if it cracks (pretty sure it won't). Maybe the owner moisturized it every once in a while, who knows?

#3 ·
I'll take a look and see what leather does. Question, what would be fair price for this? I know that Dainese is good brand with good product, and they go for premium, but seeing how it is discontinued model from years ago, I have no idea what price should be.

#8 · (Edited)
Make sure they don't smell like pee.. cat or otherwise

You shouldn't have to worry about too much. Identify any damage, make sure the zippers and seams are solid. Make sure they fit right and get Em for cheap. I've had luck picking up leathers for around $300-$400

#9 ·
These were worn only 2 times, so there is no smell of any sort. He doesnt have animals, so thats fine as well. He is asking $700 for it, which is a too much I think. Yes they are Dainese, yes it is like new, but it is at least 7 year old suit. It looks fine looks wise (not outdated or anything like that) and leather seems to be in good shape as well, but I am sure I can get something newer and in similar/same condition for a lot less.

Like I mentioned I am not in a hurry at all as I wont need it till next year for sure. Just wanted to get an idea of what could possibly go wrong with suit sitting so long and what to look for.

Thanks for the help :)

#11 ·
From having bought a few used pieces, check the armour. I bought one jacket sight unseen (ebay) and the armour was in pieces in their pockets. Jacket otherwise fine. At least the seller refunded me the cost of replacing the pieces, but still, something to be aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.