BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was doing some online window shopping and came across the Icon Field Armor vest. The thing runs for about 100 US, and has chest, side and spine protection.

Does anyone have this thing? and is the spine protection it offers actually any good compared to a bohn or dainese? And lastly it says it will fit under most leathers, anyone out there wearing it under an alpinestar jacket?

Thanks guys

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
I picked one up early last season and was I ever glad that I was wearing it when I went down. It's a snug fit, which is how it should be. The only complaint I had was about the elastic straps on the sides. After about the first two weeks of wearing it, little rubber strands broke out of the elastic strap, but it still works fine. I would recomend this to anyone. I picked mine up from Imperial for about $120.

·
I wanna Ride!!!!
77 Posts
Hey I have a question. Do you guys wear these whenever you hop on your bike or just when you know you're going to be riding pretty hard. I know you can go down whenever you ride but ike if you were to just run to the mall do you wear it or do u just wear something like a back protector by itself? THANKS

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I wear my back protector almost 100 per cent of the time. The only time I don't is when I'm riding five blocks to the fire hall.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That thing totally reminds me of the Seiyan armour that Vegeta wears in DBZ! :laughing

-Rick

R

·
0 Posts
Traum said:
That thing totally reminds me of the Seiyan armour that Vegeta wears in DBZ! :laughing

-Rick
lol if only it'll grow and shrink according to the person wearing it ;)

D

·
0 Posts
I've heard a few people voice concerns about how much the Icon vests actually protects vs. looks like its protective. The fact that it lacks a kidney belt is kinda bothersome, also that its not really certified by any agency I don't think raises some bells. My armour at home is CE Level 2 cert., it seems like it does a really good job, Icon, I dunno, looks great, but function...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dre2600 said:
I've heard a few people voice concerns about how much the Icon vests actually protects vs. looks like its protective. The fact that it lacks a kidney belt is kinda bothersome, also that its not really certified by any agency I don't think raises some bells. My armour at home is CE Level 2 cert., it seems like it does a really good job, Icon, I dunno, looks great, but function...
Yeah, thats what I was wondering. For only $120 its hard to see it actually being effective. Specially if what your saying about it not being certified by anything is true. Companies with stuff made in china thats not certified worries me.
So does anyone have any other good suggestions on armor like this with a kidney belt that would fit under an alpinestar jacket to wear it just about all the time. Not looking for overkill like shoulder and elbow armor, just the spine, sides and chest.

Thanks guys :thumbup

D

·
0 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Try Bohn armour, I was looking through their website and I'm pretty impressed by their gear, esp. their back protectors.
Also, try pressure suits made by companies like say SixSixOne (though I've seen mixed review on these) or Velocity Gear (http://www.highvelocitygear.com/home.html , good price on CE Level 2 armour, I have their armour myself).

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i bought one of them icon back protectors from 5th gear. i have already tried it out while a flying off my drz while dirtbiking. i landed hard on some rocks, and was glad i was wearing it. as for street use, it fits nicely under my leathers, and i feel better knowing it has some frontal protection too. just make sure if you get one, that it fits snug. i'm sure the other brands are certified and race proven, but i don't ride moto gp speeds on the streets, like you ruffians do.:devillook

·
Registered
150 Posts
i got one (the icon)and its good ... found the fit much better than all the other BP i tried on ... and i tried a few

also they are only going to work as good as they fit ... a poor fit but great CE mark is not going to make it work any better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts