BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just did a quick search but nothing really relevant came up. I just got my first helmet - an HJC CL15, and after about half an hour of wearing it I start to get a big headache at the back/top of my head. I take it this isn't normal; however when I tried helmets on the small was...well, too small, and the large was a bit too loose.

Am I just not used to wearing a helmet yet? Does it have to pack in a bit? When I took my riding course I didn't have this problem. I'm assuming I can't take a helmet back to where I bought it, and trade for the next size up.

Any input is appreciated, but it seems like this might be a bit of a dumb question.

·
Experienced Newbie
59 Posts
If the headache is concentrated at a spot, you can take your thumb and slowly but firmly push in a little at the spot on the inside of the helmet where you feel that concentrated spot. If its just a general headache, i'm not sure. I dont want to scare you, but perhaps that helmet isn't right for your head-shape.
And a headache isn't normal, the helmet's supposed to be a safety device not the opposite.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, that's what I was afraid of. I measured my head using the method in the manual that came with it, and I think maybe I should be a L or maybe even XL. Do shops let you return helmets? I'm assuming not, because they don't know if it's been dropped or whatever but I only wore it long enough to find out it gave me a headache...

I can't believe I got the wrong size, it felt OK at the store...they even told me to wear it for a while and make sure.

·
BCSB Knight
1,551 Posts
Wait it out, the padding will loosen up and should fit better... Also, if this is your first helmet you are probably not used to it.

When I got my helmet I didnt get the headaches but rather my head would just get sore from the pressure... I became used to it though

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,226 Posts
I wear 2 sizes of the same helmet, a shoei RF-1000. I wear a medium when racing, and holy crap, does it ever give me a headache. Then I wear a large on the street. The large is almost comfortable, and fits really well. The medium for racing is too small, yet, at the speeds we carry, I cannot afford even the slightest amount of head movement in the lid. After 1/2 a season the headeaches area gone, and the lid is just starting to be comfortable after major pack-in.

Of course, I've taken it to extremes. Another veteran pro racer mentioned that this is how helmets should be fitted for racing. The street should be fitted snug, yet still comfortable. You may have gotten the wrong helmet for your head shape. However, as a new rider, you might also just be tensing up and getting a tension headache! I used to get those when I first started riding. I'd also find that I was clenching my jaw too, which caused further pain.

Wait it out a bit and relax. See if you still get the pain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it's been a few weeks. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, but the helmet is DEFINATELY too small. I went to Carter on Granville Island on Saturday, tried stuff on, and can't believe I got the HJC in a Medium (or the HJC at all, really). After a good hour or so of playing musical helments, it was a toss-up between the HJC AC-12 or an Icon Hooligan...because there's not a lot of difference, I went with the Icon because it has more features (it should be there Weds, apparently).

On Sunday I went to the Toy Run, and took a detour through North Van and across the Lions' Gate because I made a wrong turn leaving the PNE. By the time I got home I had a MAJOR headache -not just because of my stupidity- and wanted to tear my helmet off & throw it across the yard. I've noticed that my chin is roughly 1/4" from contacting the inside of the helmet, and it sits slightly higher on my head, affecting my peripheral vision.

I can't believe I was dumb enough to think this helmet fit, but at least it fits my friends (properly!) so I can use it as a passenger lid. Big thanks to the salespeople at Carter for putting up with me, and let this be a lesson to other newbies starting out -- make SURE it fits, and fits RIGHT, even if it means spending an hour or so at a shop.

Quick question though, as googling found nothing -- does it matter that the Icon is Snell 2000 as opposed to Snell 2005?

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I think you'll find that even a medium in a Shoei, Arai, HJC, Icon, or Shark all fit differently. My head shape wasn't read for the Arai's, they just didnt fit well. I went with a Shoei RF-1000, in a medium, it fits perfect. Was tight when it was new, but once the padding 'wore in' a little, its just right now. The last thing you want is a helmet that is too loose. As for the Snell standards, you'll want the 2005, thats the new standard.

·
What's the speed of dark?
163 Posts
And my head is different then "Stewy's". I can't wear a Shoei even though it would be my preference. I fit right into a Arai, so that's what I wear.

But I wouldn't sweat the Snell difference: it's a huge debate right now on whether the Snell standards are really applicable to real life. To pass the Snell standards a shell needs to be too stiff for what you probably need on the street. Fact: Moto GP won't allow helmets with Snell standards!

Main thing to be safe is make sure it fits so you don't degrade your skills due to.. well.. headaches!

·
Registered
271 Posts
your in the same situation as me, i'm also a new helmet guy..... i went to the shop and tried large and xl.... that dude says large fits me...... but damn, i had to use so much force to fit my head in....... once in...... so much pressure, like my head gonna explode..... he explained to me that it's suppose to be snug.... and it's perfect on my head....

i argued :p
i said i prefer the xl.... cuz it feels right, comfortable, and easier to put on..... instead of pulling my ears out lol.... the thing is...

A quick advice from the guy
put the helmet on..... don't move ur head, move ur helmet sideways, upwards, and so on...... it should not move freely..... now there is a snug feet...

so basically i bought the wrong one too, too big, but nice and comfy...... but hate it when i go on like 130+km/h on the highway.... and shoulder check..... not aerodynamic at all.....

but yea, hope there is a size between large and xl

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, mascus post made me realize I kind of forgot about this thread... oops... (been too busy riding :D)

Anyway, I picked up the helmet a while ago, and it's rediculously comfortable, and I could wear it all day (which is exactly the point). I'm so glad that I got the issue resolved, even though the Icon was twice what I paid for the HJC...when it comes down to it though, it is my head and that's all that matters. If I've learned one thing, it's to try everything, give it a chance, mull it over, then make your decision. Don't rush, it's not worth it.

mascu, did you try any other brands? My problem was that I was fixated on the HJC because of some features (and the price point -- I'm a student). I had no idea there'd be such a difference between manufacturers' shapes. Try on as much as you can from as many manufacturers as you can -- you'll find what works for you!

·
Driving People Crazy
211 Posts
There's even differences in shape between different models of the same manufacturer.

I've had a hell of a time getting a helmet to fit. I tried on one Shoei model size S and it was too tight, yet another model in size XS was comfortable! And these were right out of the box, not the ones that are on the shelves that have been tried on by everyone.

Lesson learned: try on every damn helmet.

·
thread killer
519 Posts
Boondock,

I agree with spending the money to make sure the fit is right, and hope that new riders take this into consideration when buying gear. I spent a couple of hours at Carter Honda trying to find the right helmet to fit me, and Rosalie took the time to help me out as well.

I ended up getting an Arai Profile. Would have loved to fit into an HJC since it is cheaper, but in the end my brain function is important to me and worth the $$ should I ever need to use my helmet for real.

:)

·
myside.yourside.myside
2,095 Posts
my head is so hard I go half a size too big to minimize the chipmunk factor, but that's not for everyone. :) oh, and if you got a headache it's probably a tumour......

Cory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts