BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for those of you that are more technologically literate than I am...

A couple weeks ago my computer blew up. I lost everything on my hard drive, including most of my pictures (except for the few I had burned to CD), all of my writing, and all my music. :mad

I'm a dinosaur who still buys CDs, so I still have most of that music in hardcopy form somewhere. BUT, it takes forever to rip it all onto the computer.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to take all the songs I have saved on my iPod, and upload them back onto my computer.

If so, how would one go about doing this?

TIA

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Yes its possible.

Apple/ipod made it so you cannot take random ipods and unload all their songs onto your computer. Intended as copyright protection for artists.

Theres a program somewhere that i've used before, i'll dig it up.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Just get the plug in for Wiinamp and copy them from the media library straight to your hard drive. Winamp seems to transfer quite a bit faster then Itunes does... for me anyways :drinkbeer

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I turfed my version of irip apparently. Found these instructions though if you'd like to avoid installing anything else. Your music is still on the ipod just invisible if you search it. . . .

Windows

At the risk of making my Windows readers feel like second-class citizens, please follow the first four steps outlined in the instructions for Mac users. Once you’ve done that:

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop.

2. Locate your iPod in the window that appears and select it.

3. Choose Folder Options from the Tools menu in the My Computer window.

4. Click the View tab in the Folder Options window that appears.

5. Look for the Hidden Files and Folders entry. Below this entry enable the Show Hidden Files and Folders option and click Apply to reveal the hidden files.

6. Dismiss the Folder Options windows by clicking the OK button.

7. Double-click the iPod’s icon in the My Computer window.

8. Move to the Finder and double-click on the iPod’s icon on the Desktop.

You’ll discover that several more items now appear in the iPod window. Among them is a folder called iPod_Control.

9. Double-click the iPod_Control folder.

Inside the iPod_Control folder you’ll find the Device, iTunes, and Music folders along with the iPodPrefs file.

10. Drag the Music folder to your PC’s Desktop to copy it to your computer.

As the name implies, this is where music is stored on the iPod.

11. Return to iTunes and drag the Music folder you just copied to iTunes’ main window.

The songs you copied from the iPod will be added to iTunes. If you’re a tidy type, before copying those files to iTunes, open iTunes’ preferences, click the Advanced tab, and make sure the Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized and Copy File to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library options are enabled. Enabling these options will organize your iTunes library in the way iTunes prefers.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks guys. I'll try some of this stuff when I get home.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
whoah, guys guys guys.
I'm pretty sure you don't need fancy programs or any of that jazz!
I had songs from a friend's computer on my iPod that I wanted on my computer and this is what I did (mind you, it was an older iPod so this *may* be different now)

In the iTunes options, enable your iPod for hard disk use.
Then, open my computer and your iPod should show up as an external hard drive (like if you plugged in a USB stick or something).
Then just go into your iPod and find the folder with all your songs and copy it to your hard drive.

VOILA!

Let me know if this doens't work anymore :laughing

Ah! I missed this the first read through:

"Windows

At the risk of making my Windows readers feel like second-class citizens, please follow the first four steps outlined in the instructions for Mac users. Once you’ve done that:

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop.

2. Locate your iPod in the window that appears and select it.

3. Choose Folder Options from the Tools menu in the My Computer window.

4. Click the View tab in the Folder Options window that appears.

5. Look for the Hidden Files and Folders entry. Below this entry enable the Show Hidden Files and Folders option and click Apply to reveal the hidden files.

6. Dismiss the Folder Options windows by clicking the OK button.

7. Double-click the iPod’s icon in the My Computer window.

8. Move to the Finder and double-click on the iPod’s icon on the Desktop.

You’ll discover that several more items now appear in the iPod window. Among them is a folder called iPod_Control.

9. Double-click the iPod_Control folder.

Inside the iPod_Control folder you’ll find the Device, iTunes, and Music folders along with the iPodPrefs file.

10. Drag the Music folder to your PC’s Desktop to copy it to your computer.

As the name implies, this is where music is stored on the iPod.

11. Return to iTunes and drag the Music folder you just copied to iTunes’ main window.

The songs you copied from the iPod will be added to iTunes. If you’re a tidy type, before copying those files to iTunes, open iTunes’ preferences, click the Advanced tab, and make sure the Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized and Copy File to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library options are enabled. Enabling these options will organize your iTunes library in the way iTunes prefers."

Yes, I seem to remember having to show hidden files...

·
Registered
236 Posts
and btw as long as ur harddrive is still in one piece, you can prolly get a technician to recover your data (they put it all on one cd), i jus had that done last week for 40 bucks... harddrive still doesnt work but at least i got all my shit

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
I was in the same situation a few months back. I found a shareware program called Podutil on a forum somewhere. I had 3500 songs on my iPod I might have lost. Whatever you do dont connect to itunes if it is empty because it may autoupdate and delete your music.
Try this link http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts