BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Talk to me
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my R6 has a ticking/timming chain slapping noise at idle. If you rev it up around 1500rpm it goes away. I'm positive it's the timming chain tensioner. Has any one else had this problem?

G

·
My R6 sometimes makes a strange ticking noise as soon as I turn on the engine cut-off to run while the powers on...
I kind of dismissed it out of my head though till you mentioned this, actually I kind of thought it sounded like relays clicking or aircraft igniters kinda hahaha
Well, I can't be of any help but now I wanna know the answer too

·
Talk to me
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Yamaha shop manual states the valves should be checked and adjusted every 42,000km. Seems a little to long though. I haven't checked mine yet and I have 20,000k's on it. I will adjust the valves in the spring though.

G

·
Yamaha ticking is normal.

Totally normal, I had my R6 brand new until 12,000 k. It ticked the whole time. My R1 ticks as well, it's only got 9,000k.

Put a pipe on the bike and you don't notice it.

G

·
guys the valve adjustments are 16,000miles...welcome to Yamaha Motor corp. My 99 R6 ticked...my 02 R1 ticks...they all tick...its Yamaha's trademark if you will.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
R1! oopps sorry. I was drinking and typin. Well some punk on an r6 provoked me and well had to stomp on his ASs. BUt really if I hada know it was YOU Mr. R1 I woulda steped to the side and gave you the:flip

heh heh

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
I've heard from rumor that the R6's valves dont really ever become out of adjustment. I think the quote I heard was somthing along the lines of, "R6 valve adjustments? heh, I've checked them, they never seem to be out of spec".

From the R6 message board.

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,419 Posts
I was told once that the ticking was actually a timed bomb for all yamahas to explode at 20000 km . correct me if I'm wrong :D :D

P.S. sorry I had to say something:D

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,419 Posts
Eddie said:
Hee hee...Good one Nutcracker.

Actually, there is an "R6 Engine Noise Fault Correction Kit" available.

Surprisingly, it can only be purchased at your local authorized Kawasaki dealer - just ask for a "ZX-6R".

;) j/k!
:laughing :laughing we better stop otherwise no R6 friends will want to ride with us next season , good one anyway

·
Registered
229 Posts
this might sound weird since all of you are talking about R6's in particular, but my 99 F4 has a ticking noise too when it idles. it disappears or gets drowned out when i rev it higher.
is this also a sign for a valve adjustment?
sorry... not very mechanically minded as some of u guys.
some help would be greatly appreciated.
:)

G

·
it disappears when you rev it because you cant hear it. A lot of 600's tick. My R1 ticks. My 99 R6 ticked. My friends CBR F2 ticked. Just the way they are...just ride them really hard so that you cant hear it...or get a loud pipe...I think Hindle has a Oval exhaust that can cure your problem :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard from rumor that the R6's valves dont really ever become out of adjustment. I think the quote I heard was somthing along the lines of, "R6 valve adjustments? heh, I've checked them, they never seem to be out of spec". From the R6 message board.
I checked my clearances, its almost guaranteed that your exhaust valves will be tight unless you ride it like a harley.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts