153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arr...other than putting it up on a bike stand, I didn't really do anything
before winter. The tank is 3/4 full, and oil was changed in september. I had
let it idle for 15minutes every 2 weeks, maybe that caused the problem. Last
night I tried to start it up again, it cranks few seconds and I can hear
buzzing noise under the seat (alternator? battery?) the headlights become
super dim when i did that.

Now what do I do? :surrender should I use jumper cable? remove the battery and get it charged up later? or something else is wrong?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
v.b. said:
arr...other than putting it up on a bike stand, I didn't really do anything
before winter. The tank is 3/4 full, and oil was changed in september. I had
let it idle for 15minutes every 2 weeks, maybe that caused the problem. Last
night I tried to start it up again, it cranks few seconds and I can hear
buzzing noise under the seat (alternator? battery?) the headlights become
super dim when i did that.

Now what do I do? :surrender should I use jumper cable? remove the battery and get it charged up later? or something else is wrong?
You killed your bike by doing the big no-no....idling it in the winter.
Leaving the battery drained will kill it NOW, charge it up ASAP.

Store the bike properly (get a $20 trickle charger from Candatian tire and a bottle of fuel stab), cover it and do not touch till spring.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
REVELATIONS said:
You killed your bike by doing the big no-no....idling it in the winter.
Leaving the battery drained will kill it NOW, charge it up ASAP.

Store the bike properly (get a $20 trickle charger from Candatian tire and a bottle of fuel stab), cover it and do not touch till spring.
thanks for the lesson, that is one expensive lesson :coffee
I hope my stupidity won't kill it...btw...what kinda tool to remove the seat?
so I can reach my battery

btw, what does a bottle of fuel stab do?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Consult R6 manual for seat removal, though if you are having problems with this, I'd also suggest getting someone knowledgeable to help with the battery work.

Fuel stabilizer helps prevent the fuel from solidifying into a gum-like substance during storage, although this has been alleviated lately with the advent of fuel injected bikes and by the amount of fuel stabilizer that higher octane fuels (esp. chevron 94) come from the refinery with.

·
BC Riders.net
1,061 Posts
Lift the left and right side at the back of your seat, you will find the two bolts that hold your seat in place there.
Check if your bike has a gel battery, because then it is advisable to invest in an "OptiMate" ($84.95). A better investment than having to buy a new Gel Battery.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
allen keys do the trick very nicely if your pry bar is too bent to get the job done! (seat removal technique) Did u forget to ride the bike around when it was idling? I'm sure that would have solved the problem...just don't use any throttle, idle only! hahaha....j/k bud, I'm sure everyone has made a dumb mistake....you'll laugh about it later in life!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ I dont know what that is...

anyway...I just got the seats removed, but not in a good mood to do
anything...since boyzclub hasn't solved my audio problem on my bimmer and I
have gone bankruptcy.

Should I bring the battery to a gas station to charge it up? it's only $5...

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
v.b. said:
^ I dont know what that is...

anyway...I just got the seats removed, but not in a good mood to do
anything...since boyzclub hasn't solved my audio problem on my bimmer and I
have gone bankruptcy.

Should I bring the battery to a gas station to charge it up? it's only $5...
You've gone into bankruptcy? Shitty. Hmmm. Sell the bike or the bimmer?

D

·
0 Posts
download the yamaha service manual from the sticky post in bike mods and tech.

then you can remove your seat to check the battery, and also do various other maintenace items while you are at it.

·
Go big or Go Home
225 Posts
haha my bike wont start either

its been sitting since...nov 21st.

still got a lot of battery juice left because im guessing cuz the lights arent dim yet and no weird sound is coming from my seat

even with the choke on it the engine wont turn
altho, it did sound like it was going to turn a few times.

so...trickle charger from cdn tire im guessing is the solution...
is this the one that you just plug it in and forget about it?
im guessing there's only one type of trickle charger right? (to eliminate confusing in buying the wrong trickle charger)
i have a dry battery most likely...

·
n00b
137 Posts
meh...i tried to start my bike the other day after letting it sit for about 8 weeks...no go...just doesn't fire up...hopefully when it gets warm out and i park her in the sun for a few hours it'll start up...

D

·
0 Posts
misstdawg said:
haha my bike wont start either

its been sitting since...nov 21st.

still got a lot of battery juice left because im guessing cuz the lights arent dim yet and no weird sound is coming from my seat

even with the choke on it the engine wont turn
altho, it did sound like it was going to turn a few times.

im guessing there's only one type of trickle charger right? (to eliminate confusing in buying the wrong trickle charger)
i have a dry battery most likely...
your battery can have plenty of juice left to run lights, signals and whatnot, but there won't nearly be enough to engage a starter and turn over an engine. the difference is about 2 amps for lights, to say, 150 or so for the starter.

trickle charger is your solution :D

although, the cambodian tire ones are not as good as what you can get from, um, checkpoint yamaha? it was in one of the other zillion battery threads from last fall.

·
All-weather biker.
279 Posts
misstdawg said:
If you leave a trickle charger connected for a lengthy period it will overcharge and cook your battery. Either use a timer to limit it to an hour a day or so, or get a "battery tender" which will protect against overcharging. the "Tender" is available at most M/C shops.

·
Gearing Up
445 Posts
the clicking from the r6 is your fuel pump. you might be able to get away with charging the battery and using it, but it will probably die somewhere like squamish on a sunday and you'll be hooped because it won't hold its charge like it used to since it got so run down. the solution, just pick up a new battery. you can get some cheaper ones than the yamaha r6 one, but i'd just wait for the spring unless you're planning on riding it now.

oh, and idling your R6 for 15 minutes every two weeks sounds great on paper, but your battery doesn't charge until the motor's up around 5-6K. no real point.

just drop some fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the bike for 5 mins to get the stabilizer through the carbs/injectors. lift the tank (take the seat off - 2bolts at the rear 2 corners- and the two bolts at the front of the tank) and then turn off the fuel petcock and run the bike until it sputters and dies due to no fuel. then you won't have gas glazing over your carbs/injectors. fill the tank up to the max to prevent rust forming where the air hits it. while you've got the seat off, take the battery out to periodically charge it, and for brownie points put the bike up on front (preferrably the steer tube type not the bottom of the fork type ) and rear stands to take the weight off of the suspension and the tires. lube your chain to prevent corrosion and stuff a sock in your tailpipe so nothing falls in there. then most importantly, make a list of what you did and toss it in where the battery goes so you don't play the guessing game in the spring.

·
Super-Fast Redneck
1,203 Posts
to remove the seat.... fold up the back corners of the seat, you will see the bolts which hold the seat down.. i believe they are 5mm or 6mm allen head bolts. undo em... the seat will come off... or at least thats how mine comes off.

·
Insert witty comment here
267 Posts
gti303 said:
meh...i tried to start my bike the other day after letting it sit for about 8 weeks...no go...just doesn't fire up...hopefully when it gets warm out and i park her in the sun for a few hours it'll start up...
Hey, sorry to highjack this thread but gti303 your asking for a R6 chain guard in the WTB section but your PM inbox is full. I may have one for you.

Thanks everyone, carry on... :rockon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts