BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey for those interested tchan just sent me the link to mike sullivans race school in washington, it may be an alternative to keith codes school and also better than the westwood school cause you can actually get track time rather than doing drills in a parking lot

her is the link for anyone interested

http://www.sullivanraceschool.com/index.php

I have no experience with this school and also have not heard too much about it but after looking at the site it has peaked my interest

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Didn't you mention that you were going to Keith Codes? ... or something like that.. my memory has become horrible with my old age. :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i was going to go in march with the rest of my friends, but my classess started already and i dont think i will have time,

especially since i am writing my UFE this summer so besides track days i wont have much of a life:(

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Hey Kit, the Westwood's begineers race school's first day is in a "parking lot" tradex center's, you do get a full day on a track.

I would prefer to get a solid foundation than going straight out on a track and fuck up, racing as you obviously know is not just about how fast you can go, there are matters of technicality and smoothness that's needed as well...and there is an advanced race school run by Steve Dick as well - on the track.....

and without taking mike sullivans race school nor westwood's (as per your post) please don't comment on which one is better.....Steve Dick is teaching the begineer's school as well.

Sorry, but I get annoyed when people judge without knowing or experiencing what they are passing judgement on.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whoo i think you are reading a little too much into my thread, i really shouldnt have use the word better, although i still do believe that SIR is a better track than mission

I was simply trying to offer another financial viable alternative to westwood school

i appologize for a missunderstanding i had about the beginer school not having a track portion, but what i meant was that a school at a full size track will provide you with different skills than a parking lot at small track will be able too

it is great that they teach you the skills like that but imagine this

on a full size track (not mission) you will be hitting speeds in excess of 240kph, at this point braking is key, the bikes suspension, brakes, tires, level feel will be very different from any drills they can teach you in a parking lot where your speeds will be much lower

Also as you will learn there is a LARGE disparity between race schools, i am in no way knocking westwood as i know VERY little about them. But as you will learn some schools and there teaching techniques, individual coaching, track time, technical theory, supervision, on track feedback, instructor skll will vary in large degrees

i want to provide people with options to make there own decesions and try and get there moneys worth

if i offended you i appologize,

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
no no offense taken, and definitely a good idea to let people know what options are avaiable.

But got one more question you ever raced at mission ? how do you know you can't do 240 ? and is it expected for a begineer racer to in the same day go out and try to brake at 240 ? you apologize and yet you still dissin the school without knowing much about it.

P.S. I ain't attacking you or anything of the sort, just "disscussing" the issue, hope you aren't taking it personally, I question everything....bad/good habit I dunno.....but I know it ticks people of sometimes if so, just let me know....:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry man i dont want this to get off on the wrong foot, just to let you know here is what i do know about mission

I have been to the drag strip several times and have seen the road course

i have also ridden SIR, PIR and spokane so I CAN compare the tracks and make my own opinion and that is all i am doing, I know that you cant do 240 at mission, that is why steve crevier only needed a F4 to win last years race,

riding on mission is like autocrossing, it does take rider skill, bike control etc, but full size track is really a different experience

I also dont really mean to diss the school, but i have asked around as my close friends have done westwood school, keth code level 1, 2 and 3, freddy spencer, pacific sport riders

so i am basing my opinions on the research i have done

dont get me wrong either i feel any school and track time will benefit all riders!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS why didnt you come ride with us today?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Kit said:
PS why didnt you come ride with us today?

got no money for insurance, $2,700. Otherwise I ussually ride year round, been though this year, but plan on insuring it first week of april, will be joining you folks then.....ahhhh shitty day, seem to be pissing everyone off on the board.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man no worries, your just speaking you mind which i think is a good thing, I am also opinionated like yourself so i can definitely see where your coming from

man your insurance is high! mine with just liability and theft and 1000 per year, i dont put comp on my bike

but actually yesterday i just insured for two days at 35 bucks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
2 days for 35 each right ? well I am only at 10% discount, no I don't get comp. but SP....still SP is more than basic....was debating whether to get SP (for a micro-second) untill I remembered what happened to my last bike :rolleyes

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no man it was 35 for both days!!! actually alot cheaper than i though it was, but i didnt put theft on it cause i was only going to be riding it and then taking it back home, for theft it was an extra 15 bucks for the two days

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
from ICBC ? I though it was $25 a day for basic and then $35 for everything a day.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just checked again and the interact receipt said 37 bucks for two days

im not to sure what the deal is but thats all i paid ( did i mention that i have a 43% discount and all i put on the bike was liability, no comp, no collision and no SP

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
lol, 43% discount, sweet, I am at +55% thanks to my little "fender bender"

T

·
0 Posts
i am not trying to create any flames but just want to share what i know.

I have been to Steve's school in 1997 in Chilliwack and i have been racing on the same track with Sully in SIR. Both of them are very very good riders in their own right. I have also been to numerous Keith Code school since 1998. The reason I ask Kit to post the Sully school is because it is geologically closer to us (even though it's still in Spokane) than say, California, where Keith Code runs his schools. Second reason is Sully's school is recognised by WMRRA as an alternative to their own novice program, so if any of you wants to try racing, this is another way to do it (since the WMRRA novice class is full).

Whether to race in Mission or not is total personal choice. Clearly it is not a world class track but it is still way better than to race on public streets and it is the closest thing we have other than going down to the States. But for people that have to plan ahead, WMRRA already has the race schedule out before Christmas but Westwood has yet to give us any dates.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
If you actually get your WMRRA licence Westwood accepts that along with other race organizations in the oregon/wa area and Alberta, they all pretty much accept eache other's riders licences...

The more racers the more fun and the more $$$ they make...:D:D

P.S. Westwood's school & race dates are on the calendar.

F.M.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Human said:

P.S. Westwood's school & race dates are on the calendar.
Oh good, they finally got it all together.

As I'm sure you and Taki both realize, the club is hurting for people to support it, and needs all the support it can get. The reason the dates don't get confirmed is because they're unsure of how many people will come, they're also a small club and don't have the $$ to put up front for some of these things.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wish we had a good track around this area, like the one that is supposed to be built! I am sure if we had a nice track that is accessible Westwood would take off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts