BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
love it or hate it, nascar's where it's at!

now if only they could get out of the dark ages and actually put technology into the cars. things like fuel injection. energy absorbing crumple zones. cup holders.

G

·
love it or hate it ,if bikes had the corperate sponsorship that nascar has youd be all over it ,and people could actually get paid real money to race and stands would be packed like overseas.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
love it or hate it ,if bikes had the corperate sponsorship that nascar has youd be all over it ,and people could actually get paid real money to race and stands would be packed like overseas.
yeah and you would have more kids making super power bikes in thier garages only to go out and kill themselves on the way to McDonalds. Maybe the lack of publicity is a good thing lol :laughing

G

·
uhhh no.

sporting culture here would never support it. if it's not hockey, baseball, basketball, or football, people here are not that interested. golf and tennis rank up there too.

then again, we couldn't even support a basketball team. and we drove indycar out of here like a red headed step child.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
i have to agree wif the seamen.....mission can barely keep going and it puts events on for free and u get 10ppl in the stands on a good day. A sponsorship wont work, especially if ppl dont come. Kawi, suzuki and other sponsor riders adn that hasnt hellped so far, and if were talkinga bout BUdweiser..well..thats another story.... lol

Ppl in Vancouver are fucking wierd, everything gets cancled, its like ppl dont like to do shit. Indy, basketball, fireworks...u name it. Wait till mission closes its doors for bike racing......ppl are fucking boring, unless its hockey of course, and that also goes through its issues but always sells tickets for outragous prices.

Even the BC lions are in a slump.....

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
I admire and respect NASCAR's marketing and business strategies, but the racing still puts me to sleep.

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
well then what the hell do people here do?
Bitch and complain about anything they can. Vancouver, in all it's beauty, is close to the most boring major city I've been to in the world. And I've been to nearly 80 destinations in 12 countries across 5 continents, so for Vancouver to rank that low something is majorly wrong.

I blame all the fucking hippies.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NASCAR kicks ass.

Motorcycle racing should take a few notes, NASCAR will be around long after motorcycle racing dies here.

·
es ist orange und bellt
1,784 Posts
Once apon a time there used to be a great facility called Westwood...they used to packem in every race weekend. I think it's more to do with location.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Once apon a time there used to be a great facility called Westwood...they used to packem in every race weekend. I think it's more to do with location.
I do remember... It was such a great place. The state of things back in 1959, when Westwood was built, is much different from how things are now. The frustrating thing is that there is obviously no lack of private money in this province (just look at the high-end real estate market, business developments, etc.), but apparently, no one with all that money wants to build a race track with it. And even if they did, B.C. seems to have more than its share of municipal and government mazes to navigate.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
NASCAR kicks ass.

Motorcycle racing should take a few notes, NASCAR will be around long after motorcycle racing dies here.
Remember that motorcycle racing already 'died' once in B.C, when Westwood closed after the 1990 season. Through one-off events at Chilliwack and then establishing an adopted new home at Mission, however, it was brought back to life by the dedicated people in the WMRC. If the club could survive for 11 years without a home track, I do believe that it can continue to live until we get a permanent track more suitable for bikes. I only wish I knew how long that was going to take...

Stock car racing has been around a while, for sure, but I have no doubt that motorcycle racing in general (ie. outside B.C.) will never die. The Isle of Man TT, the world's longest-running and most controversial motorcycle race, celebrates its 100th anniversary next year. Many have predicted its demise, but it's still going strong.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
While Mission isn't ideal, it's all we've got for now and the foreseeable future.

Problem with trying to build a racetrack is you need to build it far enough away from the people so that noise isn't a problem and land is cheap, but close enough so people will show up.

I have serious doubts about ANY new tracks being built in North America that will support road racing of any type, especially on the West Coast.

There are always exceptions (like Miller and the new track in Ottawa) but financial trouble at several tracks already spell the eventual demise of the sport.

I hope I'm wrong but...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the price of land, plus the price of building materials and labor....

Whos going to race at a track purpose built for $500/day?

People bitch that its too expensive to race at Mission...tell us Ryan what our race fees would be if we were 10 million dollars in debt?

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
With the price of land, plus the price of building materials and labor....

Whos going to race at a track purpose built for $500/day?

People bitch that its too expensive to race at Mission...tell us Ryan what our race fees would be if we were 10 million dollars in debt?
Yes, that's the reality of our situation. Sure, it would be great to have a 3.5 mile GP-quality track in B.C., but that's an awfully tall order to fill. Mission may not be our ideal circuit, but as we've said before, it's all we have right now and should make the best of it. We had no track at all during the 1990s, so I'm glad we have one at all right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts