BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a road test coming up in about 2 weeks - have a quick question about rear blinkers.

Bought a GSXR a little while ago, didn't come with rear blinkers though. Wiring was all there though... I had a blinker-box (don't know what it's really called) that let me wire the blinker wires into the tail-light. So now, when I hit the blinkers, the right/left brake light flashes, the other brake light stays lit when the brakes are on.

It's a stock 2003 tail-light (red lense), so while it does blink, it's not as visible as the stock blinkers would have been. Am I going to have issues with ICBC when I go for the road test? I know the blinkers aren't going to be incredibly visible during the day...

Should I just explain the setup to them, maybe back up the weak signals with hand-signals?

Thx!

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Off the top of my head, yes you will most likely have issues with them. Before the test they do a pre-trip inspection of the bike (lights, horn, etc...). Best thing to do, head down to the nearest ICBC testing center and have the tester(s) check it out...then you'll know ahead of time.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'm not certain, but head out there and give it a shot! If they say it doesn't pass muster, snag a set of standard lights from someone and re-take the test.

F

·
0 Posts
You should be fine. I had integrated back signals on my 94 cbr f2 that I did my road test on and it was fine. The tester said he'd never seen it before but it was good enough.

·
Registered
841 Posts
As long as it's legal it should be fine but definitely point that out when they inspect the bike.

I would definitely recommend using hand signals in your case though.

R

·
0 Posts
i have an integrated tail, so far the cops haven't said to much, but i know it's grey area at best (technically by the law if they cops wanted they could bust me on it.) and ICBC will for sure check your lights. they did in my parking lot test (when i still had the stock indicators)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i had a turn signal burn out on my road test, which they didn't have a problem with, but keep in mind, they will watch closer that you are both using the signal that you DO have, as well as watching for your use of hand signals. my right blinker burnt out so once they informed me on the radio they didn't say anything about hand signalling, i think they just wanted to see what i would do on the spot.i hadn't been hand signalling until then but i started once they let me know (about halfway thru) and i passed anyways. they did make note though that i missed hand signal on one right hand turn, but i was in a right hand turning lane in nanaimo with a right turn light anyways. all they care about is that you are letting everyone around you know what your next action is going to be.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Red the Dog said:
i have an integrated tail, so far the cops haven't said to much, but i know it's grey area ...
Turn signals have to be a minimum of 20 cm apart, the integrated signals are not "legal" unless you are riding a big ass goldwing

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was told that they guy would let it fly for this MST but when I came back for the actual road test that I'd have to have the proper or atleast legal turn signals. I also had the front signals worked into the headlight though and he could see that my frame sliders and rear sets were a little ground down. I didn't bother explaining that I was on a track when I went down, just humoured him :)

Adam

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
When I took my MST, the lady didn't say a peep about my integrated rears into my tail light.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, took my class 6 today - passed with 5 demerits!

I did switch out my rear lights for a tail-light from Clear Alternatives - a better option than what I had, but still not all that visible in daylight.

The ICBC tester checked out my front blinkers, didn't say anything. I asked him specifically if he saw that I had integrated, and if that was going to be an issue. He said, no, good enough, tiny rear lights are pretty much useless anyway, it's your choice if you want to risk your life by not being more visible. Fair enough.

After the test he did comment once again that they aren't very visible, especially in daylight, in fact he wasn't sure if they would be legal. One way or another, didn't stop me from passing though.

See you out there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts