BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2000 r6 a month a go with a brand new dunlop 208a tire ... well it last it 750 km and middle is bold ... i havent done any burn outs just some hard acceloraton try wheelies but nothing too agressiv i run correct tire presure.. im stunned............. cant afford to change tires every 2 weeks... so is 208 a crappy tire? what u guys recomend i should put on the bike that will perform and last a while? thanx ... also any on line canadien stores that any one could recomend? bike store in kamloops wants 260 $ for a rr tire.. i seen in states u can buy Michelin Pilot Power for 225$ us for a set

S

·
0 Posts
bwahahahahahaha. houston you have a problem. i think maybe whoever sold you the bike may have lied? or else you don't know what "bold" really is? or maybe it's a conspiracy tied into radmtnbkr's many theories involving the chinese and american governments?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something is definitly wrong. There is no way a tire should do that under normal riding unless its fucked up, and I mean that in the most technical way. Have you noticed the tire wearing down over the past month or did just see it all worn down one day? Unless you've put on 5000+ km on that tire, you should take it in and get the rim checked out. It probably wasn't new to begin with.

S

·
0 Posts
as a reference i usually get around 8,000 kms to a rear tire on a bike with 50 more horses than yours.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I got 10,000kms + out of my last set of 208's, they were totally shagged by then tho. They will square pretty quick if you're just riding city and interstates.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
First off what is your definition of "bald"? Are we talking a little flat spot across the center of the tire that is about 4 cm wide or is it worn down so the grooves are pretty much gone? Also what is this "correct" tire pressure that you're running?

If it's just a narrow flat'ish band then that's quite normal to have it start showing up at 750 kms if you're using hard. If we're talking worn to the base of the grooves then it probably wasn't a new tire to begin with.

D

·
0 Posts
simpliest thing to do is measure your wear markers. they are indicated by small arrows on either the sidewall, or the very edge of the tread surface. if the wear markers are below the meat of the tire, you still have tire life. if your wear markers are even with the meat, the tire is done.

if you are not doing any hard cornering, you will notice uneven wear in the middle. bruce's suggestions apply.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i called bike shop that installed it and the said that 208A dunlop is a DOt aproved soft compound race tire thats why the wear i wear im every time i ride i can wear with my eyes.. tire presyre according to book is 36-32 psi and thats what i got .... groves are almost gone about 10 cm wide now

·
busa_tom
221 Posts
You should get a minimum of 5000km out of that tire with semi aggressive riding. Check your alignment, how is the bike tracking? It is possible to burn out a tire in 750km, but you would need to drive the hell out of the bike!
Pictures please...

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Nawww i think the question on the day is.......do you know how to use the brakes properly????? are you using mostly front or only the rear???.....or ya the tires you have wear out very quickly and you should go buy one with every oil change....ya thats it....go to 5th gear and bill will put you on his frequent tire change program along with me.....hey i need another tire bill...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
yzchamp said:
....said that 208A dunlop is a DOt aproved soft compound race tire thats why the wear ....
Yeah, that would do it all right. Get some proper street rubber.

S

·
0 Posts
so why did they put that tire on in the first place? did you ask for the stickiest tire they had and they decided to play a joke on you?

L

·
0 Posts
Not a very funny joke if its the case ...300+ dollar joke ...western power sports has a deal this month on Pilot Powers installed ...in langley ..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i didnt ask for that tire i bought a bike with it tire was brand new bike on consigment... i didt check what kind was it... it was brand new thats all i cared about aligment is fine also iv been racing dirt bikes for about 15 years so i know about using brakes thing or two....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
There's a 208 street tire as well. It's possible that someone got this all confused and you ended up with the track tire. See if the shop will give you a deal on the new STREET rubber since they F'd up by putting the race skin on there in the first place. Or perhaps the guy selling it got the tire for cheap from the shop and elected to put it on. Either way the shop knew that it wouldn't last long so they should help you out if they have a conscience at all. It'll cost but they should give you a better than normal price to make up for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts