BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer arriving now, why is it that no matter what price you try to sell a bike or stuff for that matter, people always feel they need to bargain your price down?

Should you try to flog your stuff at a higher price, expecting the people here will 9 times out of 10 come back with, "how bout.... for it" even when it's more than fair?

Maybe i'm not fair, or that's just life people feel then need to do that.

You're all still welcome to try:)

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I think its just human nature. I'd say that 95% of the time, we all get some form of discount on a purchase of this nature. If you don't want the deal with haggling when trying to sell something, sell it as a FIRM price, if they still haggle with you, just refuse their offer. You're always going to get low-ballers, especially on public forums. Knowing that people like to haggle, set your price a little higher, and know what your bottom line would be in terms of final sale price.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Buying anything of significant dollar value used, I expect to haggle on the price. I expect anyone selling has done some research to decide what price they want, and their asking price starts a little higher. It's economics... If someone is really willing to pay that higher price, then you win by getting more than you expected. If not, someone will haggle you down to what you wanted in the first place.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
i think ppl want outragous prices for their bikes, and some ppl will pay for them.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Saturnin said:
i think ppl want outragous prices for their bikes, and some ppl will pay for them.
Agreed. Before I bought my current bike I had looked at several others. The asking prices in some cases were incredibly high. An 03 GSXR750 with 13k on it for $8,900, and it was in need of a rear tire like, yesterday. The guy wouldn't budge on the price, saying he'd find someone to buy it at that price. Last I checked, it was still for sale, I wonder why...

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and to think you could have had yourself a gix 1k for $6900.

give me a ring on monday and get the manual for your bike. My desk is getting messy and it's gonna get mixed up with my work stuff soon.

Stewy said:
Agreed. Before I bought my current bike I had looked at several others. The asking prices in some cases were incredibly high. An 03 GSXR750 with 13k on it for $8,900, and it was in need of a rear tire like, yesterday. The guy wouldn't budge on the price, saying he'd find someone to buy it at that price. Last I checked, it was still for sale, I wonder why...

·
Registered
255 Posts
In my opinion, a lot of the bikes in the "for sale" section of this site are way overpriced. So of course, people are going to offer you a lower price. Just jack up your price a bit, in anticipation of potential buyers low-balling you. This is not rocket science. 99% of the time, buyers will always offer you a price that is lower than your asking price.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
as long as you look as it as "a sucker is born every minute" then there are no problems with the prices here.. ask whatever crazy amount comes to mind, you never know.....

·
What? I can't hear you...
110 Posts
Mmm... I must say that it seems to me that prices are going through the roof. My girlfriend is looking for an enduro, ANY enduro, and every single one seems to carry a grossly inflated price tag. Some folks want upwards of $1100for and 80's 250's that doesn't even run! Hell, I paid 300 bucks for my bike, and have probably spent another 300 on it; and it wasn't even a great deal at the time. Now, you're lucky to find a junky old enduro to restore for less than 800 bucks.

R

·
0 Posts
if they offer a shitty amount..just dont take it...its as simple as that.

·
DELTA-ONE
795 Posts
Buy a bike from the states. Way cheaper... even the dealer MSRP is way cheaper than it is up here. Plus our dollar's climbing :rockon

K

·
0 Posts
Haggling is normal on this kind of purchase. If you want to set a rigid price, that's up to you. Don't get all offended when people make (reasonable) offers. Remember that you can always just say no. If you don't like the price they offer you, don't take it! Just remember that while it's your right to refuse to haggle, you are the EXCEPTION, not the RULE. Getting upset because other people continue to go about things the normal way is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Of course, if the offer you are given is completely unreasonable, it's still cause to be offended. Someone trying to knock a few hundred off a $6-10K bike isn't.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Look at it from the sales point of view. If you expect people to haggle the price down, offer it to them for up to $500 above what you actually want for it. Then say you'll let it go for your actual wanted price. They'll think you're giving them a deal!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Silent Scream said:
Look at it from the sales point of view. If you expect people to haggle the price down, offer it to them for up to $500 above what you actually want for it. Then say you'll let it go for your actual wanted price. They'll think you're giving them a deal!!!
Everyone assumes you're doing this anyway. Hence the lowball offers.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Silent Scream said:
Some people get a bit carried away though and post a price that's way too high. When you do that, you actually have less people interested and responding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stewy said:
Exactly, i'm new to the forum and as i look through the classifieds on here i see that there are ppl with firm prices that have been tryin to sell bikes since october with the same price. My favourite one is the one where the owner says the price is firm and he will not budge from his price, and then 5-6 bumps later he posts this "come on guys make me an offer" :laughing

L

·
0 Posts
If the asking price is right ..then it will sell faster than a 1 dollar blowjob from Paris Hilton ....if its too high ...well ..it doesnt sell ... ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts