BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A.G.A.T.T.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the front wheel, brakes, etc and the calipers are due for a cleaning/rebuild. I've done a search but couldn't come up with a specific answer to my question. Bit of a noob question....

I need to removed the pistons from the calipers and I don't have access to shop air to blown them out. I know I can use the lever to GENTLY, pump out the piston to get at the seals inside.

My question/thought is.... If I remove the pistons on the right caliper and then go to remove the left caliper pistons, will I be able to do this? Seeing that there is nothing holding the brake fluid back on the right side, how do you build up the pressure to get the other side off? Or is rebuilding something done one caliper at a time?

Thanks

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
you can also use a syringe filled with fluid and push it into the caliper..

messy but it works...and you wont scratch anything

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Use something to hold back the "eager" ones until all the pistons in both sides are all sticking out enough to grab with your fingers. From there pop one or two out the last little bit with the lever and pull the rest out by hand. It'll be messy so be sure you do it over the bucket.

And no need to be careful other than to make sure you don't pop one out before the rest are out far enough to grab.

If you can't pull them out with your fingers then rig up something like a wooden nutcracker or similar. DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL ON THE PISTON SIDES! ! ! ! ! ! If you must try the usual Vice Grips or waterpump pliers be sure to pad the jaws with a good wrap of cardboard and perhaps an outer wrap over that of pop can metal or similar to prevent marking the sides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts