BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres my 2 cents on rebuilds ...I think if your smart enough ..you realize that there a good deal ....how many bikes on the road with broken frames ? bent forks ? bent wheels ? I dont know about you but I wouldnt feel safe riding it with any of those problems ....and they certainly would show up on a test ride or inspection ...
The thing I want to stress to buyers is ...that If a bike owner crashes his bike ...and doesnt claim it with ICBC ..no one knows ..so he goes and gets parts off Ebay or from a dealer ..and fix's the bike ... custom painted ..and no one knows the dif !! This happens daily ..and people buy those bikes and have no Idea of the accident ...the question I want to ask buyers is ..."Would you rather buy a bike thats has proof of an accident and been inspected by a authorized inspection facility" ? or buy a bike thats been rebuilt in a garage without an inspection ? ..any dealer who does inspections have there reputation on the line ..so no one in there right mind is goin to pass a bike with a broken frame ? But the guy whos strapped for cash ..and fixing his bike in the garage in his spare time ..may not even know the frame is broken or bent ??? and may not even give a crap in the first place just wants his money back ..and does a quick sale ...?

So ..either way when you buy a bike you have no idea of what your buying ..no matter the year ...brand ...or type .....Im trying to sell a rebuilt bike ..and Im soooo tired of people asking ..IS the Frame CRACKED ? are the forks bent ? .. .. . ."yeah the bike is cracked in half held together with super glue ..dont do any wheelies " ...:surrender..... ICBC had written my 2000 CBR 929 off with the following damage ..broken exhaust can ....dent in the tank ..broken mirror.....and some plastic damage ...I drove the bike home from the accident ...from the States ..ICBC thought it was a complete loss.....to me a rebuild is not a big deal ...almost everyone I know has either dropped there bike ..crashed it (some more than once) or had some kinda damage ..and the bikes are fine ..if your worried ..test ride it !! Then get it inspected ....and get yourself a great deal on a bike ....

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My theory:
I don't buy used bikes from people I don't know.
So for me, it's new (with warranty) or from one of my riding friends.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I agree, I only buy bikes off people with the last name of Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki. This way I am ensured that the bike was not dropped or beaten on.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
kuldip said:
I agree, I only buy bikes off people with the last name of Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki. This way I am ensured that the bike was not dropped or beaten on.
You only buy new then:eek

I'm only buying used from now on, too much depreciation. And I wouldnt feel any more secure buying a used bike from a dealer.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I was kidding, man I gotta work on my sarcasm.lol
I wouldn't buy any vehicle new unless I was loaded. Buy a year old if you have to but save a ton of coin buying pre-owned.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree ..buying a new bike is not for me either ...theres just too much too loose....and theres soooo many posers out there who buy a bike for the image ..and dont ride it ..and sell a few years later ..let those morons take the hit in the wallet .....

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
I'd rather buy a used bike than pay for the huge depreciation your bike takes in the first few years. But I was able to find a bike style that I liked and was available in a few-years-old model. If you really have a hankering for something that's only been out a year or so, then that might not be an option.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm only buying used from now on, too much depreciation. And I wouldnt feel any more secure buying a used bike from a dealer
This is a very good point. However, for me, it's a trade off. My last "used," motorcycle cost me untold dollars in "unanticipated maintenance," whereas any new motorcycle I've owned hasn't. So for me, the loss in depreciation is made up for by zero $$ outlay at acquisition (for new tires, battery, cosmetic items or stuff the previous owner neglected, that I simply cannot) balanced against a big $$ depreciation factor.
However, (again, for me) the other side of the coin is any return I get on a motorcycle at the end of my ownership is a bonus, as it's got over 100,000 miles on it (yes, miles) as a minimum, when I dispose of it. I know there are a lot of 100,000 mile bikes out there, and my current ride may soon be one of them.
Would I *ever* buy a rebuilt?
Sure, from someone I know.
I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts