BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an interesting experience that occupied my morning and am curious if anyone has some usefull advice,

On Weds, my wife gets pulled over in her new Audi (bought 10 days old). Reason being her personalized plate (transferred from her old car) is coming up as TERMINATED. She provides her insurance, which shows the audi with a numbered plate which was used for about 1 hour as we got that first and then transferred on the personalized. Consequently, the cop demands to know where the numbered plate is and of course my wife has no clue as she wasnt' there when i got the car. I speak to the cop on the cellular and tell him I found the manually filled out insurance (was in the package with my bank info that I was informed to keep out of the car) for the personalized plate and I'll be right there to show it to him as i'm now 2 minutes away (everything happened close to home). He doesn't care as he's got a tow truck coming and he won't get past the terminated message on his screen. He advises me to dispute in traffic court.

So $107 violation ticket, and an $85 towing bill for 1.5 kms later.

My agent and ICBC inform me the car is fine to drive, but I need to keep the handwritten form in the car and that it takes 6-8 weeks to update the info on the ICBC system.

I accept that the paper should have been in the car and that I should have double checked the package that was given to me by my insurance agent as the paperwork got scrambled.

I'm confident I can win the court case despite not having the paperwork as ICBC and the insurance agent called the cop. But what about the tow fee? or am I SOL?

Any thoughts?

D

·
0 Posts
considering you have 10 days in which to transfer a plate from an old vehicle to a new one, and it seems you were within that time frame (just), you should be reimbursed for everything, as the cop really shouldn't have towed the car.

your wife shoulda stayed in the car and refused to get out when the tow truck arrived.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
It's just money. I don't think it will be easy to get the towing money back. You'll probably wind up having to file a small claims suit ($150 - paper work fee), take a day off work, yadda yadda...I say devote 15 minutes of your time to finding out if it can be done easily, and if not, walk away.

You guys did the best you could...if you get too argumentative with the cops you might wind up getting "searched"...remember the scene in the movie 'Crash' , when Matt Dillon is "searching" the rich black lady? It's not just in the movies...treat them with respect, and end every sentence in "sir" and you'll be fine.:surrender

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Hmm. Nice one. So did you drive there, and show him the paperwork or not? If you didn't bother, then the JP probably will side with the officer, since he had to rely on the facts at hand, not the "story" he got on the side of the road.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REVELATIONS said:
You lived 2 minutes away and the cop didnt want to let you come down there to explain the situation? Ridiculous.
It is ridculous. I was almost there and I could even see him as I slowly moved through that mess of traffic on Russ Baker Way. When I talked to him and said I was almost there, he said take it to court and prove it there. All he kept saying was the plate is terminated on his computer - end of story.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Commuter Boy said:
Hmm. Nice one. So did you drive there, and show him the paperwork or not? If you didn't bother, then the JP probably will side with the officer, since he had to rely on the facts at hand, not the "story" he got on the side of the road.
He didn't want to understand the situation. I was so close but that tow truck was just so darn fast.

I figure he may have been one of the Airport Detachment guys straight from Regina on his first year out. He was so by the book. My wife said he that a second car showed and the officer held back, which can happen when a newb pulls someone over.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
im thinking a second car showed since they suspected it of being stolen

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What was the ticket for...failing to produce your registration? I believe the no insurance ones are $598. I would also be talking to the Govt. Agents office about this. I have found that the minimum wage folks who fill out paperwork in ICBC Autoplan offices are often wrong in what they tell you...told me that you didn't need to put my front plate on the car...and it was OK to stick it on the dash...wrongo!! Talked a $198 ticket for obstructed plate down to $109 for "failing to display as required".

When I got both my personalzed plates I paid up front to order them, they gave me a numbered plate which I stuck on the car/motorcycle. When the personalized plates came in they called me. I came in and gave them the numbered plates and they gave me the new personalized ones, which I installed before leaving. They also gave me typed copies of the correct registration showing the personalized plates. It takes up to 8 weeks to GET the new personalized plates...not for the ICBC computers to show it. The agent updates your paperwork on the spot.

If you read the back of the transfer form that you are required to fill out it tells you in detail what must be done to transfer the plates from one vehicle to the other. I just re-read an old one of mine and it says that, in order for you to use the old plates on a new vehicle, you have to : dispose of the interest of the old vehicle (you no longer own it) produce both the old and new registrations to the Cop when asked, produce the completed tax & transfer form (completely filled out) to the Cop...fail to do any or all of these things and you are breaking the laws. The new vehicle can be considered unregistered and uninsured if the Cop wants to. It is tricky but I checked it out with the Cops...didn't want any more troubles than I was having at the time.

As a closing thought...I guess the Cop gets lied to so often and hears so many stories that he went with what the Govt computer said and not what somebody who was trying to get out of a ticket & tow was telling him....even if the story was the truth. In his position what would you have done?

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pvt. BLOGGINS said:
Only $107, obviously he must have believed some story, what was the offence exactly??
ticket was $109 for section 13(1)(c) - wrong number plate

there's no doubt he believed something was wierd but he wouldnt entertain what I was telling him, despite it being the wholehearted and documented truth.

The insurance company is sending me and the RCMP a statement. They advised that this isn't the first time this has happened.

Sounds like the fine will be reversed but it doesn't say much for the towing charges.

R

·
0 Posts
Well police never make mistakess so you must be guilty and should pay the fine without sniveling...:laughing

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
That's pretty lame. I'm surprised he had no other way to look up if the car was insured properly other than the plate. Also, assuming you didn't buy a FWD audi, I sure hope it was a flatbed or they used dollys.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
From my experience, most cops seem to make up their mind about how everything will go down by the time they step out of their cruiser.

Although being polite and courtious is always the best policy with dealing with the po po, the best you'll get out of something like this is winning your court case and swallowing the tow charge.

Think of it this way, you coulda got popped in Alabama where they would have searched your car on "suspicion" of drug trafficking, "found" some meth in your ride, seized your car and all of your personal posessions and money, resold your car at auction and spent the profits on catering their sherrif department's Xmas party, without even needing to charge you with anything.

Or you coulda been popped in Thailand where you would have had to bribe the cop on the spot.

It's all about perspective.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Madman said:
ticket was $109 for section 13(1)(c) - wrong number plate
Ah, so it is disputable then, since you had the right plate on your car, just not the right papers.

This is something you just might want to call the detatchment about, and want to speak to a supervisor to see if you can get the charge dropped. If you offer to eat the towing bill, they'll probably let the charge go, which is about as good as you'll get going to traffic court.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Commuter Boy said:
Ah, so it is disputable then, since you had the right plate on your car, just not the right papers.

This is something you just might want to call the detatchment about, and want to speak to a supervisor to see if you can get the charge dropped. If you offer to eat the towing bill, they'll probably let the charge go, which is about as good as you'll get going to traffic court.
Ya, I'm going to dispute it and I think I have everything I need to win. Just sucks that the guy was so nasty that if he only took a moment he woulda seen that everything was in place. Fortunately the tow truck was a flatbed.

Interestingly enough, I know the officers boss quite well ... I hate to go that route but both ICBC, myself and the Insurance company have called him (while he was on shift) and he hasn't tried to fix it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts