BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I went with Rowands in Granville isle. They were great -No complaints at all. & they were a good deal as they threw in a mask with the price of the class.

·
Doesn't register
968 Posts
Bjorn, are you planning to do local cold water diving, or just temperate?
Getting a local ticket, I've heard good things about IDC.

I never bothered to get a cold water ticket. After chatting with a buddy, he said if I don't plan on doing any diving off this coast (I've done scuba in the South Pacific), I needn't bother.

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
The 'Dive Locker' in Langley and Vancouver has been very good. I started with the ACUC which was the Canadian 'Navy' course back East. It was VERY intense. Twice a week, 11 months, 12 hours of class room a month. We did Ice, wreck, rescue, navigation, photography, Deep dive, Penetration, Night and recovery. I was expecting gills after the course. In my class of 15, 6 dropped out. We did some wild stuff.

·
BLAH BLAH
678 Posts
Yeah IDC is decent. Great Pacific Diving is one of the best in the local dive scene, they have some of the highest end rental gear on the market as well as Brooks Seal suits ( nice drysuits) for rent as well. However, I dont recomend learning in a drysuit, they are tricky to get use to at first even for seasoned divers and you'll have enough on your plate learning everything else you'll need to know to stay alive.
I am a commercial diver with over 8 years comercial experience and 12 years recreational exp, if you have any questions feel free to pm me. There are a lot of other seasoned divers on the site as well that im sure can help.

·
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably check out IDC or Rowands as they are both very close to where I live :)

Michael: I'm not even sure if I'll like it. But whenever I see divers & dive footage on TV it looks so cool, so I thought 'Why not take a course, learn right and then see if I enjoy it and want to get all the gear."
A buddy of mine from work used to instruct but has never done any cold water stuff himself, but he might want to try it out as he's heard some good stuff about diving in BC. Who knows, I may have a whole new hobby ... which I really need with all my spare time LOL.

Yamaholic: Thanks for the offer of additional info, I'll probably take you up on that if / when I decide that I want to do more than just take the course :)

Bjorn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeckyll- you'll love it! It's a little nerve wracking the first time you go in, but if you ride a bike, you'll be fine ( i feel safer int he water than I do on a bike, lol!).

I took my Open Water course with Diving locker- they were great. The staffw as amazing, but our instructor left and was replaced with a new guy. Either way, informative and made the dive comfortable.

I'm currently doing my Advanced Open Water with Rowands in Granville- I have to say their gear is a lot better- newer and more comfortable. But overall, both places are decent.

Where ever you decide to do it, keep at it! Definitely a worth while sport

·
Registered
69 Posts
wife and I just did our openwater last month at Ocean Pro in surrey going back end of oct for the advanced they seemed ok

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
had experiences with Diving Locker and Rowands - both are great! Diving here is great lots of stuff to see! However, I've become a bit of a cold water wuss and only dive where its warm now - plus no wetsuit and lighter weights is all good.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about the cold water wusses. Diving is great fun no matter where you go, there's tons of great diving in the local areas. Our water's are highly regarded for diving. I used a dry suit for my cert. it was the only time I did, and I had no difficulties in using it with min. instruction and I'll tell you it is the way to go for your certification dives, kneeling on the bottom waiting for your turn to clear your mask it's easy to get cold when only wearing a wet suit. I've dove at porteau, and my lake up on the sunshine coast only using the full wet suits and they were great dives. The lake was rather boring compared to the ocean, but for practise and to finally see all the stuff I missed when snokeling, it was priceless.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
yes.. indeed it's a great and expensive sport
let me konw, i dive all yr round.and IDC is great... they are super freindly....

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Bahahaa... WOW... 2012 and I finally stumble across this thread (was bored and did a search for "scuba" under the open forum). Who would have guessed that all you old timers that I actually KNOW are DIVERS too?! Ridiculous... anyhow, I'm a warm water diver mainly too although I do try it here in BC every once and a while just to remind myself how cold it is. If you are getting email updates on thread subscriptions... just wanted to say HI. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts