BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 94' Intruder 1400.... bit of a long story, previous owner totally neglected it, sat in the rain outside 4yrs... what a mess. Anyway, after much work.... still has slight popping and hesitation at high rpm WOT.

Pod filter elements and cobra brand mild baffle side exhaust. So definitely needs different main jets.

So far plugs seem to look ok in colour and engine compression is fine.

I've got a new throttle cable coming so will install that and do my best on eyeball carb sync before it hits a shop.

Anyone recommend local shop that does good work and reasonably priced, keeping in mind this bike aint worth very much?

-------------------------------
Buddy's 1987 Intruder 1400 we just finishing repairs on (bought over xmas) breaks rear tire loose in 2nd gear ... seems a lot stronger than mine.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
I just bought a 94' Intruder 1400.... bit of a long story, previous owner totally neglected it, sat in the rain outside 4yrs... what a mess. Anyway, after much work.... still has slight popping and hesitation at high rpm WOT.

Pod filter elements and cobra brand mild baffle side exhaust. So definitely needs different main jets.

So far plugs seem to look ok in colour and engine compression is fine.

I've got a new throttle cable coming so will install that and do my best on eyeball carb sync before it hits a shop.

Anyone recommend local shop that does good work and reasonably priced, keeping in mind this bike aint worth very much?

-------------------------------
Buddy's 1987 Intruder 1400 we just finishing repairs on (bought over xmas) breaks rear tire loose in 2nd gear ... seems a lot stronger than mine.
I hope you mean you were *GIVEN* a 94 Intruder. Because I can tell you from history... by the time you bring a bike like that back into service, the cost exceeds the value. People think their old bikes are worth money, when in reality - they are free bikes ... or pay me to take it away so you don't have to deal with it.

·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well... not "given" but not going rate either.

So far it's been reasonable cost to get functional.

Ya, the carbs are a bit of a pain, not a lotta room in the frame and besides throttle cables you've got idle enrichment cable, sync cable, etc. :surrender

I'll be honest, I ****en hate carbs. My other bikes are FI, never any trouble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Worst case scenario if it's not relatively affordable to fix it I'll pull the damn carbs completely off myself and go thru them. Maybe get a jet kit. I dunno.

I do like the look of the M109R but the actual seating position sucks donkey balls.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If it's just wot issues, you probably just have a fuel delivery issue. The mains can be off quite a bit before you experience surging and popping.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You might have better luck putting the airbox's back on. They were a finniky bitch in stock form, pods probably won't work well.

·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've heard that.

Well... I spent some 5hrs messing with it late last night. Learned a lot about carb tuning voodoo.

I wish I could have my 5hrs and F bombs back.

In any case it idles pretty good now. Pilot screw is too far out (3-4 turns) so pilot jets can go up a size. Got rid of 95% of lean popping at idle.

Totally pulled apart rear carb. Throttle cable frayed bad now too, replacement on the way.

Had stock 140 main jet so assuming front carb has stock 125 in it.

I'm going to run it for a bit and check the plugs before I order a jet kit.

Otherwise I put two new fuel filters in, old one did have a bit if crud in it. Was hard to find small fuel filter at lordco, used a marine one. PO had two filters on it, one on main, one on reserve before fuel petcock.

At least a know a lot more about carbs now. Still prefer FI but anyhow.... so far so good.

·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Godamn thing is still hesitating at 3/4 or more throttle. Must be ignition issue. Gonna pull the plugs take a look.

485550_10152406221602033_1815882272_n.jpg

Plug on left is front cylinder, right plug is rear cylinder. Running too hot?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'd think it more likely to be a problem with your set up rather than blaming ignition. Anything's possible but it sounds like a fuelling issue.

·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes sir. Mikuni 36mm. Both different.
was this the vs with the 1 under the seat(sorta) and 1 under the tank carbs?
Fueling... both carbs have been cleaned out and jets pulled, etc but top carb haven't pulled pilot jet out yet. Also checked screen filters built into carb float needle valve. Clean, nothing there. However, the front cylinder (top carb) has no issues at idle (no popping, runs good). Pipes are individual with no crossover so you can see right away which cylinder is trying to fugg you.

Put in new fuel filters. Could be some crap in the fuel tank if there's a screen in there... but I doubt it. Runs great below 1/2 throttle so provided fuel bowls are at a decent liquid level there really shouldn't be a difference if you snap the throttle open momentarily. Fuel pump seems to work normally. Priming the carbs was not an issue. Typically that's more fuel flow than WOT (to fill the carb bowls).

I'm hoping to have all the parts here by Saturday - but ya never know. Sure would be nice to get it fixed over weekend and ride in the nice weather that's forecast.

For sh*ts and giggles I might replace plugs/wires/coils first to see if that was the main issue before I dive into the carbs with the jet kit.

I'll keep u updated.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
Did you completely remove these carbs and properly clean them?

Forget the fuel tank, run fuel straight into the fuel line to the carb to eliminate any of this fuel filter and tank issue you suspect... and check the spark on both plugs is strong. The bike should run whether it has an airbox, pods or nothing on the backside. It may not run great, but it wouldn't give you what I think is happening which is fuel starvation. I could be electrical, and for that I can't help you too much... sorry.

I'd be double checking the jets in the carbs... and making sure your cleaning was right, and that they haven't been regummed up with shit from inside the tank from this thing sitting.

You should be able to see daylight through those jets easily. If not take a single strand of copper wire from some small guage and gently probe it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts