BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this? I've heard of a few guys doing this, just wondering if anyone can report on their personal experience. Its supposed to give better throttle response down low and add some top end power. Thanks.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
I've heard of guys removing the CHOKE plates, but not the secondary butterflies.From what I understand, the newer bikes have a small motor and an ECU controlling the second set of throttle plates to smooth-out power delivery.

is it the actual throttle plates, or choke plates you are looking at?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd would agree that you should get some better top end power since your removing a obstruction in the throttle body but it I think you would sacrifice throttle response in the process.

From what I've read/seen/felt the secondaries are added to smooth out the throttle response which is a good thing. When fuel injected bikes first came out (ie with single manual butterfy's) a lot of people complained about how the throttle response was too jerky and not like their carbed bike. I think these secondary butterfly's are the manufacturers response to that.

To sum it up would you rather twist the throttle coming out of a turn and have your tire break free or would you rather have the power come on smooth and strong? I dunno, just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
The guys over at the Z1000 part of the fourms at www.riderforums.com are doin g it with good results so far. It needs to be done in conjunction with a Powe Commander tuning and added accelerator pump program.

I have not tried it on my bike yet but so far all the folks seem to like it.

G

·
i've done it on my 1000 and it worked fine. the gains are minimal at best. free power is still free power though.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
I have also seen people simply lockwire the butterfly open. May set off the MIL. I have not heard of it being a problem. I've heard of it being done at the track as a fail-safe. If the motor that drives the valve fails you could lose a race. Generally speaking Japanese electronics are very reliable though.

Would you notice a benefit on the street or 'seat of the pants' feel: I highly doubt it. Just ride your wonderful machine and I'll live vicariously through you.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys...I'm probably just going to leave it as is.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Item's like TRE's trick the electronics and keep the secondaries open all the time. I noticed a big diff on my Strom withought a PCIII as it smoothed out the dreaded Fi snatch somehow, but once the PCIII was added I couldn't notice a difference either way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's cool. I thought the TRE mod just changed the ignition timing advance. Does the TRE mod do that for the Suzuki's or the Kawi's?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.