BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
rawr.
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in less than a week, I leave the rainy streets of Vancouver to spend a couple of weeks lying on the beach with frosty drinks and shiny people bringing me said frosty drinks in Hawaii.

While I'm there, I'm thinking of renting a motorcycle for a few hours to rip around the island a bit. However, I've never rented a motorcycle before and am wondering if anyone else has? Anything specific I should look out for? It makes me a little nervous to get a "rental" helmet that I don't know the history of, but I'm not dragging mine along. Still, even with safety issues, I can't seem to shake the idea of how much fun it would be to ride around Honolulu...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I think there was a thread on this not too long ago. I only remember thinking it's way more than I'd ever spend.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ya, I was there a year or so ago and as I recall, the mororcycle rental were pretty expensive. I ended up renting a scooter which was a ton of fun in itself and very cheap.

·
rawr.
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, since my food, lodging & airfare are free, I'm not too worried about the price. :) I've found a place where I can get an R6 for four hours for $100. Not cheap, but hot damn it sounds like fun. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
a past voice of experience sez:
bring yer own lid.
bring at least a lightweight jacket and gloves.
renting a bike with your own gear enhances the motorcycling experience.
riding a motorcycle in hawaii enhances the vacation experience.
take photos, post here.
:thumbup

·
Registered
622 Posts
sweet. I'll be in Baja end of Feb. I was thinking about renting a bike too. Just gunna make sure I have my insurance all paid up. haha

·
rawr.
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NV HondaGurl said:
What he said. Given that Hawaii has no helmet laws (only saw 1 person wearing one when I was there) I'm not sure I'd depend on a rental...
Unfortunately, that's not an option. We're maxed on luggage, and helmets aren't exactly small. (My baby sister is four. She takes up a lot of our luggage allowances. And yes, I'm entirely too old to have a four year old sister.)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Pack you're soft stuff in your helmet. On the way back put all your dirty clothes in it to help kill the smell. haha

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'll be in Baja end of Feb. I was thinking about renting a bike too. Just gunna make sure I have my insurance all paid up.
If you see a Flare Red Wing with LD accoutrements (extra fuel, big lights, dash board full of gee gaws) wave at me. I'll be riding the length of Baja in Feb/March......depending on when there's a weather window to get outta here.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sweet. How long do you think it will take you? where are you starting from?

If you see a guy laying on his back on the sand with a little hottie in a white bikini beside him, wave at me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
arwenoid said:
Unfortunately, that's not an option. We're maxed on luggage, and helmets aren't exactly small. (My baby sister is four. She takes up a lot of our luggage allowances. And yes, I'm entirely too old to have a four year old sister.)
LOL ahhh...didn't realize you had such a luggage limit! :)

I would have loved to rent a bike while I was there, but we were in a car accident on the way to the airport so our "fun" options were somewhat limited when we got there. :rolleyes Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Sweet. How long do you think it will take you? where are you starting from?
Okanagan. I should be crossing the border at Tecate in 3 days, dependant on the weather. If the weather is good (no ice in the high spots) I should be there in 36 to 48 hours.
If you see a guy laying on his back on the sand with a little hottie in a white bikini beside him, wave at me.
Yeah, sure. I'll ignore the "little hottie," to wave at you?!?
You'll probably have to lift the bike off me after I drove over a "topes," and off into the ditch......

D

·
0 Posts
michael said:
If you see a Flare Red Wing with LD accoutrements (extra fuel, big lights, dash board full of gee gaws) wave at me. I'll be riding the length of Baja in Feb/March......depending on when there's a weather window to get outta here.

if you see two trucks hauling 5th wheel campers, both rigs having ontario plates, stay clear. it's my dad, 2 uncles, and an aunt. retirees don't care who they take out :D

and to stay on topic, take a helmet liner with you to hawaii so you can use the gungy rental helmets and not worry about your head. what's a helmet liner? like the things you get at indoor karting to wear their lids.

you can probably make one out of an old pillow case faster than you can go to the store and buy one for $2.

D

·
0 Posts
michael, going over at tecate?

isn't that the inside of the baja? calexico/mexicali area? you could be in san felipe 2 hours after crossing, and hang out there for a few days.

great spring break party area. miramar biker bar. ride directly into it. when i was there you rode your bike up a ramp and parked in the bar.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
michael, going over at tecate?
Yup. Kinda cool there. Absolutely nothing on the US side except a decrepit building where you can buy insurance and exchange dollars to peso's.

isn't that the inside of the baja? calexico/mexicali area? you could be in san felipe 2 hours after crossing, and hang out there for a few days.
Tecate is to the west of calexico/mexicali. closer to tijuana. Yup, as soon as I cross over, I'm going into deep vacation mode. This is interesting, i'm going to take notes and keep my head up. anytime i can actually ride into a bar....heck, that saves me the pesky trouble of walking out to the door with my Pacifico in hand, to check on the bike...or give that wiry fellow over there some peso's to look after the bike.

On an added note, I have never been to any hotel/motel in the Baja that has not offered to park the bike in secure parking. Sometimes that's in a private garage, sometimes the lobby of the hotel, sometimes in a room. Try getting that kind of service at yer local Motel 6....very motorcycle friendly..

great spring break party area. miramar biker bar. ride directly into it. when i was there you rode your bike up a ramp and parked in the bar.

D

·
0 Posts
the hotel we stayed at you could walk into the room from the balcony. back then, it was great for the drunkenness. now, not so sure. but you could get a bike in that way no problem. the hotel that was race headquarters (we were down there for a week of boat racing about the time you are going) had its deck right on the beach. at high tide the water was at the steps of the deck. low tide, about a 1/4 mile out.

san felipe is nothing but prawn and lobster. fish tacos abound. water is gorgeous, beer is plentiful. it's a dos equis and tecate town. don't order corona!

you can rent quads and run in the dunes in the mountains all the way to the beach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts