BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've built a few of my own frames in the past. I never registered them. Now I want to build a harley. The available hardtail frames seem to have too much rake and they are made for fat rear wheels.

This is not what I want. (19" front rear spoked wheels, same width. 15° rake and pre-unit engine. Springer front end) I have complete trust it the fact I can build one out of 4130 DOM tube and have a lathe and milling machine for the steering tube and dropouts.

But how the hell do I register it after. Do I have to fake a statement of origin? Or does the fact I built it give me the right to print one out. Or can I get a business license and use that to create the statements.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
I've built a few of my own frames in the past. I never registered them. Now I want to build a harley. The available hardtail frames seem to have too much rake and they are made for fat rear wheels.

This is not what I want. (19" front rear spoked wheels, same width. 15° rake and pre-unit engine. Springer front end) I have complete trust it the fact I can build one out of 4130 DOM tube and have a lathe and milling machine for the steering tube and dropouts.

But how the hell do I register it after. Do I have to fake a statement of origin? Or does the fact I built it give me the right to print one out. Or can I get a business license and use that to create the statements.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I know a guy who built a street bike frame from scratch, (replica of an MV Agusta 850 America using a Brutale engine) and it did involve hiring a Red Seal certified welder for the purpose of weld inspection, as well as certification form filled out by him, to confirm manufacture competency. I cannot recall if there is criteria to follow regarding frame rake/trail or suspension/no suspension. Local insurance conglomerate in BC has guildlines on what constitutes the minimum needs for successful registration including lighting, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in bc. The bike would be hardtail and going by price's right now I'm thinking newer FLH engine. Not really what I want, but screw it the engines are cheap and I can get it together one part at a time. I'm thinking I'm going to have to flip five or six Japanese bikes to pay for it all. The bike I'm buying to fix and sell should get me an engine at least. I'll do another after to get a tranny and another one to pay for a primary. After that I don't care what manufacturer the rest of the parts are.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
I know a guy who built a street bike frame from scratch, (replica of an MV Agusta 850 America using a Brutale engine) and it did involve hiring a Red Seal certified welder for the purpose of weld inspection, as well as certification form filled out by him, to confirm manufacture competency. I cannot recall if there is criteria to follow regarding frame rake/trail or suspension/no suspension. Local insurance conglomerate in BC has guildlines on what constitutes the minimum needs for successful registration including lighting, etc.
I am sure the entire process is not easy like building a u-built trailer. Even buying a chopper frame out of the USA is prohibitive to obtaining a title and registration.

Historically, and anecdotally of course not that I would ever do such a thing... but the process involves a donor frame and title. I knew someone with a KZ400 chopper that had a modified santee frame with a cb 750 motor, coffin tank and so forth. It could have been problematic in the event of an accident, but lets face it - if you ride that thing, you don't care! Badass.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I am sure the entire process is not easy like building a u-built trailer. Even buying a chopper frame out of the USA is prohibitive to obtaining a title and registration.

Historically, and anecdotally of course not that I would ever do such a thing... but the process involves a donor frame and title. I knew someone with a KZ400 chopper that had a modified santee frame with a cb 750 motor, coffin tank and so forth. It could have been problematic in the event of an accident, but lets face it - if you ride that thing, you don't care! Badass.
You are correct. Modification of an existing BC registered frame, whether anyone agrees with it or not, will sidestep any inspection, but may become a serious liability should you get in an accident and they have a look at it, whether the accident was your fault or not. I work beside a custom HD shop, and can tell you there’s all kinds of ‘modifications’ going on with no inspection system.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
You are correct. Modification of an existing BC registered frame, whether anyone agrees with it or not, will sidestep any inspection, but may become a serious liability should you get in an accident and they have a look at it, whether the accident was your fault or not. I work beside a custom HD shop, and can tell you there’s all kinds of ‘modifications’ going on with no inspection system.
It is one of those situations where the only way to find out the ramifications, is usually after the fact when it might be too late.

It's an interesting idea that the OP has, but it's not unique. And designing a motorcycle from the ground up is not really something for someone at home with some 4130 and a welder from Princess Auto. Even someone who is a welder by trade is certainly not an engineer.. I mean, your average welder is not qualified to say, build a boat that is Transport Canada certified.

End of the day, this sort of thing is kind of.... Orange County Choppers era. I'm not sure really too many folk are interested in this sort of thing. Lots of dodgy stuff I have heard of. Vin grinding, punching, complete fraud, you name it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No princess auto welder 220v Miller mig with gas and carbon steel wire. The thing is the size of a washing machine and even has spool gun on it's own circuit for aluminum. I also have a lathe and mill, so if it can be made out of metal we can build it.

I do also have a 110v IGBT, but not going to fuck around with that. I'm starting to lean towards a sportster engine since it will bring cost down and I can get a frame prebuilt. However they all seem to use fat tires and mass rake. If I could find one for rubber mount for a 130 rear and no more that 30° rake I would go that way.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
No princess auto welder 220v Miller mig with gas and carbon steel wire. The thing is the size of a washing machine and even has spool gun on it's own circuit for aluminum. I also have a lathe and mill, so if it can be made out of metal we can build it.

I do also have a 110v IGBT, but not going to fuck around with that. I'm starting to lean towards a sportster engine since it will bring cost down and I can get a frame prebuilt. However they all seem to use fat tires and mass rake. If I could find one for rubber mount for a 130 rear and no more that 30° rake I would go that way.
Perhaps a sketch of what you envision would be good? That's the prime way to design a bike anyways you have to start with a visual of what it is you intend to make. I can't picture what you want this thing to look like.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Getting a VIN and Ubuilt title in BC is way easier than it should be.
All the info you need is here. "Ubilt" vehicles and trailers

The biggest problem you are going to have, is that you are going to need to build a jig for your frame if you want to have any chance of keeping it straight/square.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Building a jig is no problem I've built a few frames now some sketchy some really good. The first one when I was 19. I've never had alignment problems. I may buy a frame and modify it. As long as I can keep the cost in 2k chunks I should be fine.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Perhaps a sketch of what you envision would be good? That's the prime way to design a bike anyways you have to start with a visual of what it is you intend to make. I can't picture what you want this thing to look like.
This is the best idea. Choppers, raked cruisers, etc, are essentially all about visual presence, with little hope or chance of any kind of ability other than a straight line to the nearest reflective store front window to blip the throttle in hopes of patio glances.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want a shitload of rake and for the flat track style riding I do on logging roads and ice you can't do better than a hardtail.
Yes I am going to be beating the hell out of it and doing shit no one if there right mind would do with a hard tail harley, but I also rode my stripped down goldwing on single track trails... maybe I'm a bit insane.
Here's a pic of my last icebike I built before I finished it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
I don't want a shitload of rake and for the flat track style riding I do on logging roads and ice you can't do better than a hardtail.
Yes I am going to be beating the hell out of it and doing shit no one if there right mind would do with a hard tail harley, but I also rode my stripped down goldwing on single track trails... maybe I'm a bit insane.
Here's a pic of my last icebike I built before I finished it.
View attachment 146249
Given your explanation, yes you are. Insane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not only am I insane, I got the papers to prove it. Building and riding bikes is the only thing left to live for. The government has taken the rest from me. (I gave em good reason to do it). But if bikes are all I got left I sure as fuck am going to have fun with it. And I have to have a cheap ass Harley to beat on and have fun with. I don't know if any of you have done flat track style riding before, but it is fun as hell. The lower the seat the more you can throw a bike around a corner. I do it on dirtbikes too, but its much better on a heavy low bike with street tires. people give you some strange looks up in the bush on a streetbike. Took my CM400 up the side of a mountain near Cranbrook on hiking trails a few times, and my gold wing saw as much dirt as street riding before it was stolen.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I've been grifted by a nutbar. I must now punish myself. 1], guzzle a bottle of apple cider vinegar, or 2] shave my face without lube. Both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nutcase yes, screwing with you no. This was my goldwing I ran off road. Once you pull all the useless crap off the CG is super low and you can take them about anywhere.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
^^^ only for those with attention spans longer than 15 seconds... unlike FB... not that 604 isn't amusing...
( turns out that's the average amount of time a person spends in the Louvre looking at the Mona Lisa. just time for a selfie, then we gotta get a cappuccino, no?)

Reactions: bandito
1 - 20 of 28 Posts