BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sport-touring tire shootout for Scotty.

Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-021

I didn't want to write a review on these tires until I really felt I had something to compare them to, now I do... here's the review. ;)

The BT-021 is a Dual Compound Luxury touring tire... Laugh all you want at the "luxury" part of it, but that is the bulk of this review. The tire is priced on par with the current Power 2CT and also features dual compound structure. It is true, after a couple hundred miles you can see the difference in the compound and the harder compound turns a shade of grey, this annoys some, but didn't bother me.

The profile of this tire is rounder than the pilot powers I had on previously, thus made turn in slower, but more controlled, when riding 2-up this was a blessing. They had phenomenal grip right up to the edge and I can honestly say I never had a moment where I felt the tire ever held me back. While I'm no speed demon, I lean the bike RIGHT over in the tight stuff and the tire held its own. Overall, the plugs, the 15,000+ km I put on them was enough for me, but I bet they had another 2,000k of life. Granted, this is on a 1000cc Ducati ridden mostly 2-up so they did their job. How they lasted that long I'll never know.

Overall, great tire.

4.5 out of 5

Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

This tire I put on more recently and have about 3,400 km and can compare this directly to the BT021. For grip I haven't been let down (I'm still here aren't I? ;)) and I will admit, when riding solo these do rule, they turn in quicker, I can have the bike leaned over with much less effort, but this is all due to profile. I haven't tested them in the wet, just luck of the draw, but I'd imagine their great.

I do have a problem however, on the freeway AND the twisties I noticed these were WAY more work than the BT. The V-profile made for quicker turn in, but when muscling the bike around corners 2-up it was a lot of work, I took these tires through Mt. St. Helens with my gf on the back and it was nearly a nightmare, The BT021 was so much smoother as the U profile makes for smoother turn in and a much easier ride. Even in the super tight stuff when you want to be able to flick the bike back and forth, these tires were harder to manage as they would put me too deep into the corner when I just wanted to cruise through.

The other qualm I have about the Pilot Road 2CT is the ride. Compared to the BT021 (and nothing else) their loud, annoyingly so. In fact, I thought something was wrong with my bike riding on the freeway. The tires give great feedback, but are not comfortable on the highway. The BT021's were much better and produced much less vibration.

For wear the Pilot Roads are doing great, no real signs of squaring off and I have about 3400km on them, so that is their only real shining feature so far, but given the fact the Bridgestones did 15000 plus, I don't see the advantage here.

So far, I haven't crashed so the roads are doing their job. They give great confidence in the corners, but I just haven't been able to see them excel against the BT021 in any real way.

Overall
3.5 out of 5

NOTE: Suspension is set the same as last year, there could be other variables like balancing, my abilities, road conditions etc. But in my opinion, this is how the tires feel and it is a purely subjective opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sport-touring tire shootout for Scotty.

Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-021

I didn't want to write a review on these tires until I really felt I had something to compare them to, now I do... here's the review. ;)

The BT-021 is a Dual Compound Luxury touring tire... Laugh all you want at the "luxury" part of it, but that is the bulk of this review. The tire is priced on par with the current Power 2CT and also features dual compound structure. It is true, after a couple hundred miles you can see the difference in the compound and the harder compound turns a shade of grey, this annoys some, but didn't bother me.

The profile of this tire is rounder than the pilot powers I had on previously, thus made turn in slower, but more controlled, when riding 2-up this was a blessing. They had phenomenal grip right up to the edge and I can honestly say I never had a moment where I felt the tire ever held me back. While I'm no speed demon, I lean the bike RIGHT over in the tight stuff and the tire held its own. Overall, the plugs, the 15,000+ km I put on them was enough for me, but I bet they had another 2,000k of life. Granted, this is on a 1000cc Ducati ridden mostly 2-up so they did their job. How they lasted that long I'll never know.

Overall, great tire.

4.5 out of 5

Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

This tire I put on more recently and have about 3,400 km and can compare this directly to the BT021. For grip I haven't been let down (I'm still here aren't I? ;)) and I will admit, when riding solo these do rule, they turn in quicker, I can have the bike leaned over with much less effort, but this is all due to profile. I haven't tested them in the wet, just luck of the draw, but I'd imagine their great.

I do have a problem however, on the freeway AND the twisties I noticed these were WAY more work than the BT. The V-profile made for quicker turn in, but when muscling the bike around corners 2-up it was a lot of work, I took these tires through Mt. St. Helens with my gf on the back and it was nearly a nightmare, The BT021 was so much smoother as the U profile makes for smoother turn in and a much easier ride. Even in the super tight stuff when you want to be able to flick the bike back and forth, these tires were harder to manage as they would put me too deep into the corner when I just wanted to cruise through.

The other qualm I have about the Pilot Road 2CT is the ride. Compared to the BT021 (and nothing else) their loud, annoyingly so. In fact, I thought something was wrong with my bike riding on the freeway. The tires give great feedback, but are not comfortable on the highway. The BT021's were much better and produced much less vibration.

For wear the Pilot Roads are doing great, no real signs of squaring off and I have about 3400km on them, so that is their only real shining feature so far, but given the fact the Bridgestones did 15000 plus, I don't see the advantage here.

So far, I haven't crashed so the roads are doing their job. They give great confidence in the corners, but I just haven't been able to see them excel against the BT021 in any real way.

Overall
3.5 out of 5

NOTE: Suspension is set the same as last year, there could be other variables like balancing, my abilities, road conditions etc. But in my opinion, this is how the tires feel and it is a purely subjective opinion.

Do you know what are the differences between BT-020 and 021´s ???

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
I never thought of it as 'luxuary', because it's usually the cheapest tire around. Indeed, I never imagined a guy who drives a Porche and rides a Ducati would buy that tire, it was as shocking as seeing you using President's Choice motor oil for your rides (or you actually are?). :laughing I noticed Bridgestone advertises as 'luxuary': http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/glamourindex.aspx?productID=180&LookupID=8

I've never tried Pirot Road 2, but almost everywhere I go, they sell it much more expensive than BT021, here's one example:
http://www.cyclegear.com/cat_disp_new_col2.cfm?L1=129

My bike came with a pair of stock Dunlop Qualifier, while I find them a great tires, my rear tire was pretty much done at 11,000km. It looked like it could go another 1-2,000km, but I signed up for a track day in Pitt Meadows, I didn't want to fail the inspection.

Because I do a lot of touring and commute in rain (I don't melt in rain), so I was shopping for a sport touring tire this time around. Burnaby Kawasaki had BT021 for $185, while they quoted $250 ish for Pilot Road (not 2).

Then at the track day, I checked out not only bikes, but also tires, it seemed like I was the only guy with a sport touring tire, while rest were sport or racing tires. Yet, I was NOT the slowest :laughing

I didn't do track with Qualifier, so I can't really compare, but I'd say the grip of BT021 was pretty good for 'touring sport', I sled a few times but they were all gradual, I was able to regain control.

On streets, maybe because I really don't push my tires to the limit, I don't see too much difference between Qualifier and BT021, when it comes to grip, noise, comfort, etc.

It's been 5,000km since installation, I don't see any flat belt in center yet. I haven't noticed any difference in color between center and edge, but I'll pay attention tomorrow. I'll see how long it'll last.

I'm pretty happy with BT021 so far, but next time around, I feel like trying Shinko. Not sure if it's available in Canada, but I've read a couple of positive reviews, and they're about 30-40% cheaper than major brands.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do either tire compare to the pirelli corsa 3?
Never ridden with that one, it's probably next if I need something new.

Mav, I bought it because it was the only tire available before my laguna trip, but I'm cheap so I probably would have bought it for the reason it was the cheapest if I'd have known. ;)

Luxury is for the ride, and in my opinion it shows.

·
Dr. Green Thumb
398 Posts
Hated my BT-014's, sloppy turn in, hard to feel the front wheel, more slippery than a greased up monkey at the no.5 orange in the rain.

Went back to pilot powers (regulars), way better turn in (especially with 2up), good heat up time, and great feel in the wet.

Take that Luxury tires.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
Bt021

I'm on my second set of BT021's this year...

First set got about 9000km's out of them. Could have got more if I'd have switched the front half way through (2:1 ratio).

Have had no issues.

Maybe I will try the Michelin's on my bike next time to compare.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have Battleaxes, the 020s, and they've been great. I'm on my second set.
Great for touring, in the rain, and for riding two-up.
Reasonably priced too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts