·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"RIDE FOR RICK" - and VGH Burn Unit Fund

memorial 2pm

Friday February 17, 2006 @ 2:00PM
3525 W. 24th Ave (24th/Dunbar)
Dunbar Heights United Church.

The ride will start right after the memorial and we will follow Rick, and ride together through the city making people STOP and reflect. "LET THEM HEAR THE ROAR OF OUR HEARTS !"

start: Dunbar Heights United Church - 3525 W. 24th Ave (24th/Dunbar)
ride time: 2:30-3pm ish prep then ride
route: travel to mortuary stop for Rick .. bid farewell.. travel through downtown vancouver past CTV .. over Lions Gate Bridge up to Crash Site memorial. Tunnel Point.

please respond

[email protected]

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here it goes.... TO ALL...

Again thank you for ALL your words, support, and advice. I have spoken to Rachael (Rick’s Wife) and let her know of all the love and support you send! We have decided on this ....

I would like to spread the word !!!! WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER.. On Rick's final journey.. WE WILL show our city how selfless our community is.. the support we show one another, the hand that reaches out to strangers in time of need. “WE WILL RAISE MONEY IN SUPPORT OF OTHERS WHO HAVE FALLEN”. We will raise money for the “VGH Burn Unit Fund” (this would be what Rick would want) and raise awareness for motorcyclists on the road.

To the hero’s that were on scene that day.. that weren’t afraid to look death straight in the eye, to show empathy and support to someone who was clinging to life .. We applaud you and give eternal thanks. There is comfort in knowing they were surrounded by love.. You are the quiet hero’s who don’t make the headlines but should. Have solace in knowing you too are loved, and your spirit shines in all its magnificence, just as Rick’s did!

I am disturbed and devastated by the response I have received by the press today. I spoke to BCTV again and spoke to Oliver Law at the news desk. I asked for their help to voice the views of a widow, and a fatherless son. Let us celebrate how Rick lived and not how the press has portrayed him. This tragedy should be a story of about our hero’s that were by Rick, Graham and Marcus’ side that day and not of a black eye on our Olympics and should not be about an “Inconvenience” to us. Oliver stated that it was, “Not On The News Agenda” The point that was missed that day; Saturday February 11, 2006, Vancouver lost a hero, a “Man Of Steele”

Rick was training to become a fireman, a commitment to safety. A selfless act like everything he did. While waiting to get on to the department, he worked for the City Of Vancouver Sanitation Operations Branch, where he began his fight for another selfless act. He raised money for “The United Way” by putting together a calendar of our Vancouver sanitation men. And ladies ..who would have thought .. A man, husband and father who always put the well being of others first. He was the same man who fought his brother-in-law for six months to buy leathers for his bike… pushing and pushing.. As stated by one of the paramedics who was on scene, “Graham would have been dead too, if he wasn’t wearing his leathers!” Rick was always thinking of other people, he should be revered as a hero for how he lived and not discredited in his death. He gave so much to others and asked for NOTHING in return.

We would like to apologize to the families who witnessed this account, for Rick would never want to put them through that trauma. That’s the kind of person he was. We would like to thank the people who did stop to do something, even if it was to recognize the grief of everyone that would suffer from this accident. We thank you!

We are all sorry for the "Inconvenience" we have caused to the delay in traffic.. the "Inconvenience” for the tourists that needed to catch their flight who walked around Rick's body, which was lying in a pool of blood.. We apologize for the "Inconvenience" to the traffic and the drivers that ignored the plead of our hero’s to stop and not pass through the accident site, while Graham was clinging to life, while he was pinned under a Ford pick up truck. We apologize to the individuals who made an appearance on camera that day, who didn’t even see the accident but were more interested in telling a story. They should have empathized about the man and his family mourning in silence with no voice to express their sorrow.

We all know we've never seen a motorist speed, kill someone or put someone in harms way, we’ve never seen something like that on the sea to sky highway. We apologize to all the experts in motorcycle and vehicle safety who call us reckless that have never even gone to a driver training course in their lives. We all make mistake in our lives, unfortunately if this was a mistake, the cost was great. A life that meant so much to us all. To our community!

So let us remember. …Rick Sanchez his family, his wife, his brothers, his son his friends and all the people he touched.

To honor him I would like to request ALL THAT RIDE .. Join us at his memorial on

Friday February 17, 2006 @ 2:00PM
3525 W. 24th Ave (24th/Dunbar)
Dunbar Heights United Church.

We will ride one last ride for Rick and a cause he stood behind. (Vancouver General Hospital Burn Unit Fund)

Let us show our strength and compassion in numbers. Our community is strong and lets make them hear that the “ROAR OF THUNDER” is the ROAR of our hearts!

Please feel free to contact me directly via email to let me know if you can attend the ride.

Respect and love
Steve

[email protected]

·
hot beef
276 Posts
Jeff Oneal offered to promote a ride for rick. maybe you can use the radio station to promote some awareness so cagers don't try to shove us off the road like in Julia's ride. contact Jeff Oneal through the fox web page

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
I could probably get the time off work but I am worried about the tempature and the shady areas of the sea to sky hwy. They are saying it is supposed to be -7 over night. Now it will warm up during the day however the shaded areas still worry me. We don't need a memorial ride for the previous memorial ride. Depending on the actual temperature over night I may or may not come.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we will ride together slow and cautious.. we let us all be aware !!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PRESS RELEASE :To all Motorcyclists and the Film Community,

I work in the film industry and I am reaching out to our community of film and motorcyclists who all share a common goal. COMMUNITY, COMPASSION, SUPPORT and RESPECT.

I am turning to you to ask for your help and support to get the following messages out.

My dear friend Rick Sanchez was killed this weekend in a motorcycle accident on the sea to sky highway. This unfortunate event has been publicized inaccurately by numerous people in the media as an "INCONVENIENCE" to the travelers on the highway. I am at a total loss for words as to the utter insensitivity that certain people of our great city have come to treat this horrific event with such complacency. Since “WHEN DID LOSS AND DEATH BECOME SUCH AN INCONVENIENCE?"

I have confidence that our media community reports events in a neutral, non-bias way to the public, so as to not inadvertently incriminate people before a professional police investigation has been conducted. The events that have unraveled surrounding the media coverage of Rick’s tragic death are simply appalling to me. I offered to present facts on my dear friend’s life and was met with the reply "IT IS NOT ON OUR NEWS AGENDA.”

I was quite frankly shocked when confronted with this response and feel that it is professionally negligent, unethical and insensitive to not only the families who have lost loved ones, but also to the general public who have a right to know information regarding their community. I am outraged with the lack of decency that our newsrooms are supporting in that they misuse information to report their one-sided view of the story. It is my understanding that to gain an accurate picture of the events that have transpired, more than one person’s version and understanding should be documented.

The public has a right to hear from observers who were at the scene of the accident, such as the heroes who helped save Graham's life that day and those who took the time to lend themselves to comfort those in need that day. In my view, this is where the truth lies.

The families of Rick and his wife Rachel and several friends agreed to an interview to shed light on the selfless victim of the accident and his incredible reputation in his community as a selfless man and supporting father and husband. The focus of the interview was to give thanks to all those who lent themselves to saving Graham’s life and to those who stood by on the highway to comfort those involved in the accident. However, these interviews did not make it to air. Nor was there any mention of the support letters that poured in from the British Columbia Sport Bike Association to the family. Instead, what was reported was the testimony of a bystander who didn't see the accident but only gave his inexperienced interpretation of events, prior to the incident. This man, who continued to get news coverage in the media, gave only his opinion and version of why this accident happened. His inaccurate and one-sided view now seems to be the focus of our daily news. One wonders about the objectives of our news media and the gross indecency of the reporting or lack thereof.

The pillars of good journalism maintain that thoroughness, accuracy, fairness and transparency be of utmost importance.

The press cannot be allowed to skew a story into one that they believe to be more "entertaining or newsworthy," by adding inaccurate and incomplete reports

I ask for ALL of your support to join together to make a community recognize, that there are some of us who are still compassionate and not willing to taint an honest man's life, with false accusations before a conclusion of facts have been presented.

Please READ the attached word document and forward this email to anyone who could attend the ride or needs to hear this. I am asking for your help to show the rest of the people in Vancouver that we should HONOR Rick, his life and his family.

Thank you for all your support

SB

“ The reports and motorists were only concerned about their own inconvenience, highway delays, and black eye on our Olympics. Where was the compassion and empathy for a human life?”

“Reports showed a constant disregard for the FACTS about the accident, and emphasized the SPECUALTION of one witness’ account of the incident.”

“The public, motorcyclists, family and friends outraged at the motorists driving through the accident scene, and the disregard for loss of human life while putting at risk rescuers, and a second victim clinging to life while pinned under a vehicle.”

“Motorists committed a crime when choosing to drive through the accident / investigation scene, and could have been arrested”

“ The investigation is still on going and nothing has been concluded”

“Rick Sanchez was NOT a reckless human being as portrayed by the press, but dedicated his life to the safety of others.”

“RICK SANCHEZ ALWAYS PUT OTHERS BEFORE HIMSELF”

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
On the TV news this AM too (Global).

Watch the pavement, pedaling in on my bike this AM I saw tons of ice where heavy trucks had dumped water on pavement. No black ice on my route, but later it may pop up in the shade.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I just got home from this day of sadness and gladness. First let me say it is always somewhat awkward when you show up to a funeral to a fellow rider, on a motorcycle....however it was nice to see friends of Rick on there bikes to. I had never met Rick, but it still hits close to home for me. I had never met his wife either, but that didn't matter to her when she walked to each bike and gave each rider a hug for the support they showed....I w3as lost for words. It was an uplifting ride through the city letting everyone around know that this community supports eachother, and I am sure Rick would be smiling.

I am home safe now, and just thawing out certain parts of my body, as it is dam cold out there!

my deepest sympathy to Ricks family and friends during this painful time in thier lives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For those who where in Rick's presents today, I must say it was a spectacular and special day. For those who were on the bikes, what great ride we had, adding another great memory. Here are a few pictures from todays gathering..
Thanks Rick for making me smile and always showing me the positive side in any bad situation. Rick may you rest in peace. You will be greatly missed but never forgotten...

Thanks Rick

Chris Fuchs

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TO ALL THAT ATTENDED ....and all that were there in spirit

Thank you does not describe the sense of suppport you all displayed. How important and powerful a sense of community is when people reach out and embrace those around them in need. I have a new found respect for all of you. I will be there if any of you need me, I will be there to offer my gratitude in anyway I can.

To the new friends we've made, let us ride together knowing that our bond is greater than most people and that YOUR souls are kind, respectful, compassionate and understanding. Remember ..when you look down that long stretch of winding road, when you smell that fresh air run through your lungs, , when you see the setting sun over your shoulder, or a snow covered moutain peak beside you, a lake to sooth your sticky skin on a hot summer day..when I turn to a fellow rider and all I can see is their eyes..I will find comfort knowing, your smile behind all that armor, is as kind and comforting as Rick's .. I will be beside you in spirit and in love remembering all those moments we have shared together.. or apart and let us ALL never forget them ..today is all we have.. so let us live it, live it well, live it with grace, with dignity, respect an compassion, live it the way Rick did .. with KINDNESS and LOVE in our hearts.

thank you all

much love and respect ..

and Rick .. you'll always be my wingman.. "chasing shadows"....although we never got to ride the Hawian Islands together, get eaten alive on a ride to Alaska, or a quick trip to Calgary...I'll see you in my mirror.. I'll see you on the road .. the man with the biggest HEART OF GOLD! .

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts