BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of heading out to calgary on the 929. Question 1 - How long should this take? I'm planning on making a bee-line and keeping a decently hot pace (reasonable of course). Question 2 - Anyone done this and have the planned stops layed out? I can probably get 250-300km / tank but would always rather be on the safe side. Question 3 - Is it too early to do this? I don't have full on winter gear but would dress warmly and have rain gear if need be.

What do you long distance riders think? Am I nuts? :)

Adam

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
if you take Hwy1 and the #5, then i'd suggest getting fuel in Hope, then again in Merrit... Make sure in Merrit. There's a chevron and petro can, just make sure to make the turn off because if you don't it's another 100km to Kamloops for gas and it's pretty isolated out (up) there.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
the whole trip is about 1000km, so it depends on how fast you wanna go. I've heard there's snow on the #5, but that comes and goes. Check the road conditions online

T

·
0 Posts
There is snow currently, according to a webcam, on the top of the Coquihalla still. Its not currently all over the road, but the weather there can change quickly.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/BCHighwaycam/WebCam.aspx?img=1
That website helps, and its kinda fun. Good luck with the trip.

P.S. the ride should take 10-11hrs not including time zone change. So bring a sandwhich!

·
Bring on the sun
2,078 Posts
atr911 said:
I'm thinking of heading out to calgary on the 929. Question 1 - How long should this take? I'm planning on making a bee-line and keeping a decently hot pace (reasonable of course). Question 2 - Anyone done this and have the planned stops layed out? I can probably get 250-300km / tank but would always rather be on the safe side. Question 3 - Is it too early to do this? I don't have full on winter gear but would dress warmly and have rain gear if need be.

What do you long distance riders think? Am I nuts? :)

Adam
Shit man - my 929 only gets me about 170km on a tank tops...what the deuce?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It should take 7 hours of "riding," time, as the pace you inferred.
If cold is an issue, take Hwy 1 north from Hope, to Cachce Creek, as the elevation change isn't so severe. Yes, it's going to add 50 miles or so, but it's more scenic as well.
I fuel in Hope because it's considerably less expensive there. Fuel again in Kamloops, and Golden.
Fuel is plentiful, with your range you won't have any issues. I'd plan on being on the top of Rogers pass around noon or within an hour of it. Parts of the rest of the route will be in shade, and where there are creeks, this isn't a good thing. (higher humidity)
Check the weather station for road reports, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cold will be an issue, I did it two summers ago and froze my ass off , once you get past the park , everyone seems to do 130+ . didnt see any bubs all the way there, tread should be 50% or better. food , water, fuel , go.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bandit_Ryder said:
Shit man - my 929 only gets me about 170km on a tank tops...what the deuce?
Really depends on how i'm riding it. I can get from coquitlam to squamish and back and a good clip running it nice and high into the rev range on one tank and that's almost exactly 200KM. Figure if I'm crusing in 6th it'll be much easier on the gas.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i drive there at super fast pace most of the way, 9-11 hours depends how often you stop and for how long.

Watchout for elk, deer, and goats on the rockies (they blend into background rocks)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i drive there at super fast pace most of the way, 9-11 hours depends how often you stop and for how long.
Vili!
9 to 11 hours indicates some lolly-gagging at yer stops!
Gas, go, gas, go, gas/pee, go.:laughing

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
michael said:
Vili!
9 to 11 hours indicates some lolly-gagging at yer stops!
Gas, go, gas, go, gas/pee, go.:laughing
haha not like that when you got a girl in the car.

It's more like this:
gas, 2 hour lunch, gas, 20 minute washroom break, more food :tredmill

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
haha not like that when you got a girl in the car.
Yoiks! Yer gonna alienate 50% of the population!:laughing

My daughter is the exact opposite. We did a quick trip to San Francisco last fall for a concert, she could out drive me, out bladder me, and stay awake longer than me.
( didn't even have the gall to act surprised when I awoke from a nap, checked the GPS and saw 100mph top speed.....)
But dammit, getting old sucks!

·
BBQ Squadron Member
2,739 Posts
I ride there 2-4 times a year. Average around 10 hours. Best time 8.5 hours and about 12 if you rest along the way. I've seen snow in May. Just be careful of the straight line speeds because boredom sets in when it's dead straight. Good time to leave is around 6-7am. Ride Safe.
:evil D()K :evilgrin

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
I just drove back from Canmore AB Friday and the roads were almost all being swept in BC so not too much gravel out there anymore. Saw a few bikers in the snow at the BC AB boarder getting some early riding in. HAve fun.

·
Registered
913 Posts
GF and I did this ride last summer on our 600RR's....

Van --> Calgary
Day #1-Vancouver to Creston, BC (via #3) nice easy paced ride, great scenery
Day#2-Creston to Calgary via #3 then #2 north to calgary...great ride

Calgary -->Vancouver

Day #1- Calgary to Banff (pics & breakfast) Via #1....8-9 hours later home in bed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did Port Coquitlam to Red Deer in 11 hours last April, cold as a bitch on the hill up to the Coqihualla ? toll gate, beautiful through by Merrit and a little snow on the roads side past Merrit. Cooler the rest of the way and rain from Squamish to Golden. Snowed to beat hell just after Field had a full time job just wiping my visor so I could see for maybe 20km. Rain gear makes a world of difference to staying warm, keep your feet dry and your hands warm, extra gloves maybe, you'll be fine. I ran mostly around 130-140, anything over I was pushing too much wind and got sore (Speed Triple) the 929 should be better that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2 days to Calgarystayed at Revelsoke). 1 day back..

On the way there Hwy 1 --> Hwy 5--> Kamloops--> Hwy 1(east)-->Revolstoke for the night-->onwards to Calgary.

On the way back, I traced my routes back with the exception of going through Kelowna. Two days to get there is perfect. One day is fine, but a hell of a long day on the saddle(11hrs). I came throught beginning of Aug and going throught the Rockies it was still damn cold at times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts