BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone on this forum the guy that ran into a pedestrian on 4th Ave on Monday evening?

*edit - just re-read and wanted to clear up that I'm not asking for ICBC/Legal reasons in case that's how it sounds *

My friend was walking across Yew (or Arbutus) at 4th, and a bike was coming south on Yew to the intersection. Stopped to make a right hand turn onto 4th, but only looked left to check for cars ... started to move forward and rode into my friend. She put her hands out and caught the front of the bike, yelled something then kept walking, but a second or so later she heard the bike fall over ... then she felt prety bad ...

Told her I'd check and make sure the bike was ok and let the rider know she feels bad if she caused it .. but it looks like the rider was was just caught off balance, struggled to keep the bike up but failed.

Either way, hope no damage was done, and a small reminder for all to check both ways ...
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
she caught the front of the bike? O.O she must be strong lol
glad she's okay..the biker should've looked both ways...
 

·
Twin A
Joined
·
8,019 Posts
put down the latte and the cell phone and look before stepping out into street.

maybe buddy was trying to "hit" on her.
 

·
I like traffic cones :S
Joined
·
15,773 Posts
Jaybo, are you f'ning serious?
How about looking BOTH ways, eh? At a crosswalk (or green light to pedestrians) they have the right of way.
 

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
made Man said:
Jaybo, are you f'ning serious?
How about looking BOTH ways, eh? At a crosswalk (or green light to pedestrians) they have the right of way.
stupid thing is that they always have the right of way here, regardless of how wrong they may be.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
slam said:
stupid thing is that they always have the right of way here, regardless of how wrong they may be.
of course. As soon as they stepped off the crosswalk, even if it's "illegal", you hit them, it's your fault.
 

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
Ratzilla said:
of course. As soon as they stepped off the crosswalk, even if it's "illegal", you hit them, it's your fault.
even if there's no crosswalk and no reasonable expectation that they might dash across the street, they are still "in the right" :rolleyes
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ratzilla said:
of course. As soon as they stepped off the crosswalk, even if it's "illegal", you hit them, it's your fault.
and that's why you back up and make sure you got it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Liability in "pedestrian knock downs," is based on the actions of the motorist, and the pedestrian, leading up to the "event."
It is wrong to assume the pedestrian always has the right of way, or does the motorist.
Each case is different.
In the case described by feasty, I'd say the motorcyclist was fully, if not mostly liable. He moved into the crosswalk from a stopped position while someone was already there, had he/she looked back to the right before
rolling ahead.
This is fairly common, motorists and motorcyclists looking for oncoming traffic and rolling into the vehicle in front, a pedestrian, all sorts of things.
(Note to self: Do not roll ahead unless you are looking where you are rolling to.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Turning right on red light should be banned. I have seen too many people cut off traffic or almost run over pedestrians doing this.

Most people dont even come to the stop at the line and slowly roll to make the right turn when it is safe. They slam the brake straight after the line ONLY looking left.
 

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
michael said:
Liability in "pedestrian knock downs," is based on the actions of the motorist, and the pedestrian, leading up to the "event."
It is wrong to assume the pedestrian always has the right of way, or does the motorist.
Each case is different.
In the case described by feasty, I'd say the motorcyclist was fully, if not mostly liable. He moved into the crosswalk from a stopped position while someone was already there, had he/she looked back to the right before
rolling ahead.
This is fairly common, motorists and motorcyclists looking for oncoming traffic and rolling into the vehicle in front, a pedestrian, all sorts of things.
(Note to self: Do not roll ahead unless you are looking where you are rolling to.)
granted, in terms of liability, after the fact.
as a generalization (including the drivers training books from ICBC) the pedestrian always has the right of way.
not so in other places in the world.
the big problem here is pedestrians' attitude... place like the UK, pedestrians will cross a busy street with no crosswalk, stand in the middle of the street right on the painted lines and be no problem.
they'll be inches away from moving cars and you really don't have to worry about them, because they are well behaved at a negotiating their way through traffic.
 

·
contradiction incarnate
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
Vili said:
Turning right on red light should be banned. I have seen too many people cut off traffic or almost run over pedestrians doing this.

Most people dont even come to the stop at the line and slowly roll to make the right turn when it is safe. They slam the brake straight after the line ONLY looking left.
drivers are the problem, not the rule.
 

·
Member of BCSBTUA
Joined
·
474 Posts
Vili said:
Turning right on red light should be banned. I have seen too many people cut off traffic or almost run over pedestrians doing this.

QUOTE]

Move to Quebec!!!
 

·
Twin A
Joined
·
8,019 Posts
Jaybo, are you f'ning serious?
yep. pedestrians should have a bit more incentive to watch out for themselves as being hit by a car or bike could really ruin their day, but no they walk when they shouldn't ie..the don't walk sign is flashing, jaywalk, etc. etc. just don't pay attention, believe that they ALWAYS have the right of way, on and on.
don't want to get hurt? watch what you're doing, & watch what other people are doing.. if you can see them stare them in the eyes it'll tell you where they're going, just like if they have their wheels turned -they're ready to go in a second..
cars hurt. who cares about right of way? I give it away all the time, don't trust people, period.
 

·
banned user
Joined
·
6,255 Posts
people just dont have enough respect for a 2500 lbs chunk of steel in motion. Take Commercial Drive as an example, Its like I am surrounded by bloody superheroes who can counter the laws of inertia with a dashing glance!
 

·
Vindicated
Joined
·
3,419 Posts
So a pedestrian, who is already in an intersection, should just stopd drop and roll to get out of the way of a vehicle that feels like barging through the intersection? Get real. It sounds like the pedestrian was making a legal cross AND was in the intersection first. Common sense says yield to the pedestrian.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top